Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yes it seems a sensible idea, I think in normal operations they had radio communication with the mother ship but a backup for a power failure case seems like a very obvious precaution to take.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Very simply becasue tracking needs an ariel to transmit and receive signals and an aerial needs a cable to run through to the hardware to do the transmitting. When you are going to 4,000m+- depth the more holes, the more risk. They don't even have a handle on the inside of the hatch! That shows the enormity of problems for building and operating a sub for that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,820 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wasn't there a Submersible that went down 3 times the depth of this one, The Trieste, went to 11000m, glass dome cracked half way down, and the drew was like '' crack on'' and reached the sea bed, the deepest part of the ocean on the planet. Where is that sub when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The lack of an emergency beacon was one of the safety concerns made by a number of people almost 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There have been some reports of the post drifting off topic so please try and keep it on track, I haven't got a chance to read everything as they are coming in faster than I can read, over 200 post since I checked in yesterday and probably more than I have seen all year on here 😀 Keep up the good work stay on topic and be nice.

Thoughts and prayers to all the families involved at this very hard time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That was in 1960, in the Mariana Trench.

The deepest part of that trench is called Challenger Deep, and is something like 10,911m deep!! James Cameron himself did a solo dive down to Challenger Deep a while back... You'd want some balls on you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,820 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

The sheer scale of the depth involved:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

If it surfaced but isn't found, I suppose there's a possibility it will wash up on European shores at some stage 🙁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

For working at the depths the Titanic lies, I don't think the Victor would be operated in that mode, connected directly to the Atalante. Trying to deal with 3-4km of umbilical would probably be too much for the sub propulsion system. For greater depths, the Victor seems to be operated in this configuration - a ballast sled is lowered closer to the sea bed and the Victor only has to handle the length of connecting cable (4)

The support vessel has to come to a complete stop (you can see on MarineTraffic that it is currently at 0 knots) and the Victor only does around 1 knot so it will not cover a huge amount of ground.

I think might give some credence to Tabnab's comment about the implosion having been detected some time back and the perhaps they now have a location for the wreckage? The OceanGate support vessel Polar Prince looks to have moved away from its location near the wreck and the Atalante seems to have taken up that position

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭65535

An EPIRB would have assisted them if they surfaced - it could be set to transmit only if above the water.

Not enough safety precautions in my opinion -

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭65535

How do their power sources work under such pressure ?

Would it be normal batteries that are used ?

Everything pressure sensitive would be stored internally in the sub,

and in relation to an EPIRB, none would exist that could survive externally at that depth & pressure, so best they could hope for would be to have one internally and hope they could get a signal (out of a very thick capsule) when they surfaced,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

However, given the constraints for the crew capsule (small = better), you don't want to bring in items that can more easily be accommodated outside. Cameron's Deepsea Challenger uses banks of lithium batteries stored outside the capsule. As external pressure is only an issue where there are internal spaces and voids in a component to compress and implode, the battery packs are in plastic cases filled with oil and equalised to the external pressure. Power, control and comms cables then enter the crew capsule by means of dedicated bulkhead plates. In the case of some submersibles, the crew pod (often a sphere) acts as an escape pod that can be decoupled from the sub and ascend to the surface under its own buoyance. In such installations, there is a guillotine function to sever all the cables connecting the pod to the rest of the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Looks like the recovery will take over a day. All very quiet on updates now.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Amazing how little talk there is of the Wilhelm Gustloff sinking with over 9,000 on board. A german ship sunk by a Soviet submarine. I suppose being an act of wartime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They're brown bread at this stage

Amazing how little talk there is of the hundreds if not thousands of sinkings that have occurred in the last 100 odd years you mean?

When Mods complain about off topic chat, I think its stuff like this they were referring to.

Debris field discovered by ROV

• Advertisement

This is P.H. Nargeolet, the experienced sub driver who was part of the crew, and has made more dives to Titanic than anyone else apparently.

Here he is discussing what happens if they get trapped on the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

Anton Savage (in for Pat Kenny) on Newstalk this morning had Dr Chris Parry (ex. Naval Officer) on and he was very informative.

It's from around 18.30 minutes and well worth a listen (https://www.goloudplayer.com/episodes/pat-kenny-show-aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ucmFkaW9jbXMubmV0L21lZGlhLzAwMS9hcmNoaXZlLzIzNDg1Ny1wYXQta2Vubnktc2hvdy8yMl8wNl8yMDIzLm1wMw==)

He mentioned that the hull is carbon fiber so unlikely to create sound if banged on. He was also very critical of the attitude of the sub owners to safety. They didn't test / check the hull after dives for damage or distortion which should be done for carbon fiber. On their website they say take issue with having to explain themselves to regulators as this gets in the way of their entrepreneurship. It took them an initial 8hrs to raise the alarm so loosing contact with the sub was probably a regular event. They don't take advice from 50 year old white men as they are not inspirational.

This was an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sky news

US Coast Guard: Debris field discovered within search by an ROVThe US Coast Guard says a debris field was discovered within the search area by an remotely operated vehicle (ROV) near the Titanic wreck.

It said experts within the unified command are evaluating the information. 

Earlier, the coast guard said the search and rescue operation was still "active". 

It confirmed the French deep-sea robot Victor 6000 has been deployed, meanwhile the Canadian vessel Horizon Arctic has also deployed its own ROV that is on the sea floor. 

Press conference at 8pm Irish time.

edit: possibly sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Most bizarre thing about this whole story is it was controlled by an Xbox controller. I’m sorry what? Your life potentially depends on an Xbox controller. Nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 67,285 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

CNN reporting a debris field has been found.

RIP, it seems 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭POBox19

Looks like its all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Didn't realize it was a field of debris, that surely is it.

Advertisement