Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Just catching it now. Not looking good at all. I had no idea this was a tourist attraction, surely a wildly dangerous activity at a remote location and deep depth!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully they have enough onboard to bring them to the surface themselves, I fear they are on their own for solutions.

The NATO sub rescue system can only operate at depths up to 1000m, Titanic is nearly 4000m down, for context the Kursk rescue was only in depths of 100m and that failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Don't think there's anything they can do to help at that depth

Bizarrely uses an Xbox remote to pilot it apparently

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

If space is a tourist attraction, why not titanic? I’m sure that only for the fact that they are war graves and as such still owned by the countries under whose flag they fought that bismark, hood and all the other recently discovered deep sea wrecks would be regarded in the same light

either way, at this stage, with no news it looks like titanic has company at the bottom of the sea

Reading up on MIR1 and 2 , the second sub was specifically used as backup.

No such system in place with Titan

"Why were two Mir submersibles involved in the filming of the movie “Titanic”?

Working with two submersibles is more reliable, safe and efficient. The second submersible is able to free from the cable or net, bite the cable wound on the propeller. and sure, lighting from two submersibles is better as it was necessary to illuminate the wreck during the movie "Titanic" filming. "

• Advertisement

The submarine itself seems very sketchy. You couldn't pay me to get into it.

The construction was plagued with problems including the discovery of cyclic fatigue in the hull. It seems to be running everything (systems, propulsion, comms) off a Windows computer with bluetooth gamepad (!) for steering. I can't see any backup equipment.

It takes two hours to get to Titanic depth and they lost communications at 1hr 45. So they were already extremely deep. I would say they're goners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

And even if they reached the surface they can't open the hatch from inside. So they will run out of air. Crazy dangerous.

They're only doing the basics on the surface , scanning the ocean for the vessel and listening for signals

They won't send anything down there

Has to be seen as a failing not implementing a system like mir with backup vessel on site so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

seems they have 2 days of oxygen on board

but pings every 15 minutes seems crazy to me, you could travel a long way in 15 minutes an no one would have a clue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

assuming power failure say, what would the buoyancy of that thing be? woudl it sink or start to rise?

would it have the equivalent of the lead weights divers carry?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It would probably depend on ow it was trimmed.. i.e. trimmed to descend (sink) means it will keep descending), but trimmed to ascend, they it would probably keep ascending till it became bouyancy neutral of reached the surface... whatever came first.

and if it was power failure, and the heating system went down, it would get pretty cold pretty fast....

Sad to say, but I'd guess they are long dead at this stage.... and most likely just a few seconds/minutes after losing contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes it has weights, which are set to automatically be jettisoned after a certain period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I have kinda more sympathy for the several hundred people lost in the trawler off Greece. Than those who can afford a quarter million bucks on a sight seeing trip like this. But no doubt the focus of the western media will be all over this for next few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, i would have assumed (in my ignorance) that jettisoning those weights would have a manual override.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Sky news reporting that the waiver you have to sign mentions death at least three times on the first page!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There is a manual override. The submarine itself is made to be buoyant, it’s the weights that bring it down then they are jettisoned when you want to go back up.

It carries ballast - in photos you can see some semi-circular weights hanging off the bottom on chains. It would be neutrally bouyant at the intended exploration depth. In theory you jettison the ballast in an emergency and it floats back to the surface.

I heard somewhere there is also an automatic release mechanism for the ballast after 24hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On the BBC just now they were saying the weights could be jettisoned using a manual hydraulic system that cuts through cables attaching them to the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

For sure the wreck of the titanic must be amazing to see, but I wouldn’t have the b@LLS to get into a submersible to see it, even if I had the money!

I find it totally ironic that this submersible had no backup sub when visiting a ship where such a devastating loss of life occurred because they hadn’t enough lifeboats.

at those depths with that much pressure, I don’t think there’s anything much can be done to recover the sub unfortunately, but thats the risks I suppose.

James Cameron was down there ,.not sure how many times but the MIR had backup and 2 was used to dislodge 1

Had tools outside to work on issues

Outside of that system you're goosed down there ,no rescue going to happen only on surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Like, If they found the sub, could they drop a very long line down to the seabed in it's general location, then use one of those subs with claw arms and the like to attach the line to the stricken sub and then winch it up to the surface?

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you're paying for this sort of trip (or to go into space) then it's probably a sign that you have too much money. Nonetheless most of the passengers were crew, hopefully they can re-surface and be found, seems like their only hope.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It seems more like something I would build in my backgarden to get to the bottom of lough Ree than something built to go to that depth, it should have mutable backup systems and tracking. Hopefully there will be a good outcome 🙏

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A little more detail on what the sub looks like. That would be a no thank you from me no matter what I was going to see.

I'm an engineer and thinking of those depths and pressures and using the phrase "off the shelf components" to build the yoke bloody terrifies me.

"Not approved or certified by any regulatory body"

These people are insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I wouldn't go to the bottom of the Shannon in that thing. Cobbled together using pieces from a second hand xbox and camper parts.

Pressure down there is 400 bar. That is mad. The net force squeezing in on the roughly 50m2 of hull is staggering at that depth. Back of fag pack calc gives 198,000 tons squeezing in all around you.

My bet is it simply imploded. They would have been killed absolutely instantly, without even been aware that something was going to go wrong. Crushed and utterly pulverised in the blink of an eye. There are likely going to be no bodies, just scraps of debris found. Its essentially the same as if a bomb went off.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

I would say no for a number of obvious practical reasons

That's what I was thinking too

The MIR was built by the swedish probably to tight military specs

That thing who knows

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The issue is there are not many remote subs that can even operate at that depth to attach cables if they were lucky enough to find it (needle in a field full of haystacks springs to mind), and the chances of getting one of them out to that location in the next 24 hours or so would be slim to none..

If they are submerged, they are on their own. if they are floating on the surface, they have half a chance.

• Advertisement

I agree. It's very sad but if they were lucky it was all over before they knew anything was wrong.

Advertisement