Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Three-Body Problem - Netflix (***Spoilers***) David Benioff & D. B. Weiss

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

thanks. That mages a lot of sense and I feel a lot of this content isn’t Fahy being communicated well in the show. It actually reminds me of the horse picture that did the ribs during GoT comparing the earlier to later seasons with a very meticulously detailed horse bind karts representing the early series and ending up in s a 5 yr old toe drawing by season 8 got the head. I think they lost a C lot of nuance and detail from the books here and it’s probably why some of us aren’t really on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Quick question, how is their tech on earth but they are 400 years away?

Who left the last VR headset for Tatianna?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Sophon can travel much faster than the main fleet as it's just a particle, and its providing the blueprints for the humans to create the tech (that's my understanding).

I imagine in the cults existence they had developed a much, much bigger network than just who was on the ship. Even Ye didn't live on the ship

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think it was the bugs thing that spooked her. She thought they were coming to save humanity.

They made a big mistake not showing more of the conversations with the aliens. Especially the early ones with the pacifist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

For me this is half good half not so good.

The scenes in China in the past, the acting, everything, was excellent. But then back in England it's the opposite. The acting, the choice of actors etc, poor, feels like someone changed the channel to ITV3 when I wasn't looking. The personalty types of the youngish physicists are unrealistic, you'd expect them to be more Brian Cox types. They don't come across as 'bright' is what I mean, somewhat immature as well.

I think the basic dilemma of the story is quite good and original so I'd imagine the books are a lot better than this dramatisation.

If we're comparing this to other alien invasion type things I'd say Invasion is better than this, though I seem to be one of few that likes that series.

edit: oh and the final episode was was a real let down in terms of expecting a tantalizing season finale. The penultimate episode was better I thought.

• Advertisement

even if the point about giving the humans blueprints for the VR sets is in the book, I just don’t buy it. Perhaps it was much better elaborated but even going back 100 years and giving someone the blueprints for any modern mobile phone just wouldn’t result in very much. Not in 25 years. Certainly tech would face evolved faster but I wouldn’t expect prototype iPhones in the 1950s. Knowing how to produce an item is one thing, producing it is another as you’d have to also build a load of other supporting technology. For VR sets that’d include ultra high bandwidth networks, massive computing power, development of a human centric OS to interface properly with the human physiology etc. It’s just very impractical In such a short timeframe and it’s another hole IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭nachouser

Watch the series - which is very good - and then read the summary of the next couple of books on wikipedia and then go "meh".

that’s fair but it strikes me that keys an issue with the adaptation that side of these kind of glaring issues aren’t addressed, even with a 30 second bit of dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

she was told they weren't coming to save humanity.

The pacifist said "your world will be conquered"

That's what she wanted. After the revelation about human lies that plan has changed to extermination which she doesn't want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I totally missed that distinction in the aliens change of approach in the TV show… anyone else catch that?

I thought had simply stopped trusting and co-operation with the 'traitors'.

anyway I thought at the time of the warning she was happy with human extinction if it saved the rest of the planet's fauna and flora…

Post edited by expectationlost on

Something it took me ages to cop in the show was that the hippy she met was the guy who owned the boat. I had completely forgotten about the hippy. But ya both were driven by the idea that a people who grew up on a doomed planet would appreciate ours more than we do. Im pretty sure all the authors work has an ecological element to the story.

The more I hear people talk about the show the more I think it is a bad adaptation and tough for anyone who hasn't read the books.

Also for the show it seems to be unfortunately timed as Fallout has taken all the wind out of its sails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think the actors and characters are fine enough but the plot seems like complete nonsense cobbled together.

Unless I'm missing something if the protons can mess with and physically interact with the world and engineer science to fail, then why stop there? Why simply hamper earth's development when they could literally send us back to the bronze age without any difficulty.

And Wenje calls the aliens to earth despite being ominously advised by same that they will come to utterly conquer and then pulls the shocked Pikachu face 50 years later when they announce they intended to conquer.

I dunno. It was very watchable but it's not good sci-fi.

Also didn't recognise Eiza Gonzales as Auggie, knew she was super familiar but couldn't place her. She looks extremely different from her Dusk till Dawn days, almost like a different person. Looks great to be fair but lot of work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I enjoyed the earlier episodes more, the one's set in the VR game, wish the whole season was like that.

The boat bit was daft & seemed like a prop just to show off the nano fibre thing really.

Cancer boy was a real drag, just an excuse to mope about without moving the story on.

I never understood Cunningham's idea to send people to the alien fleet, even at 0.01% of the speed of light what difference would it make anyway.

I did get the cult hysteria & the scenes set in China were far superior to the UK which looked like one of those budget Harlan Coban productions.

The little science gang was poor. The Asian girl was the only one I found to be not a drag and also believable as a scientist.

Advertisement