Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Three-Body Problem - Netflix (***Spoilers***) David Benioff & D. B. Weiss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I’ve read the first book and half the second one. Interesting concept so hopefully it’sa good watch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's on my radar because I've heard the name a few times from people reading the books and it seems fairly popular.

It's been done as a series, non-english, twice before I think but not sure and I tried the first episode of one of the Chinese ones but didn't think the quality felt great so said I'd hold off.

From the makers of Game of Thones... well.. maybe that could be good because I think.. well I'm guessing really.. that these books are done so they won't be fumbling through another Game of Thones final season effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Hopefully it will be good, watched the Chinese series it was great

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That looks interesting. So is there Aliens in it or Demons or what? When is it out?

Edit: I see now Jan 2024 :)

Mark it in my calander so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

From the hype I feel around it.. I kinda want to go in without knowing too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I loved the whole trilogy so much I read it twice. Am really looking forward to the Netflix big budget take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Tri-Solarians will be in it 😉

Main interest will be the focus of it and how much it will cover of the books. Overall the three books cover an extensive amount of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Official release date was announced as March 21st 2024; with that came a small clip n' all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A new trailer, certainly seems to have an epic scope; and for once, no idea where it might be heading? (Having not read the book)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like some gender swapping and a more international cast compared to the books but I suppose they want to appeal to a wider audience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't read the books, but weird wording you probably wouldn't want to hear with adaptations

“What we are hoping to do is to convey the experience — if not necessarily the exact details — of the novel onto the screen,” Woo said in a statement released by Netflix. “What stayed, we hope, is the sense of wonderment and the sense of scope, of scale, where the problems are no longer just the problems of an individual or even a nation, but of an entire species.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The books are great but could be a bit of a hard swallow for western audiences in places and cultural translation will definitely be a plus. One of the things I appreciated was a style of writing outside of what I was used to but you can see where it's still confined a little by the chinese/CCP influence. I will say not to make too many assumptions based on the trailers, they're mostly book-accurate but as you will quickly see might mislead you on the core story when seen out of context like this.

I am looking forward to it, if done properly (say early GoT vs later :) ) it could be an excellent sprawling epic with the right mix of regular short term momentum and long term depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Trailer looks cool but David Benioff & D. B. Weiss being the showrunners would put me off most things after they pretty much deliberately butchered Game of Thrones....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Read all the books that are translated, the short storey collections is brilliant. Might have to get a netflix subscription.

The "final" trailer before its release on March 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So excited about this, am in the middle of the second book - The Dark Forest and enjoying it, quite unlike any other sci fi series I've read but in an interesting way. Hopefully Netflix see out the full storyline without being cancelled halfway through. Might be a bit of a slow burner for a modern audience, depends on how its done I suppose.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

this is almost out. i only cancelled netflix. im off sailing lads aarrrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dropped this morning, I think I will leave it till Sunday before I start.

It's funny the way Streaming has gone, that Netflix's dogged insistence on its binging model could hurt this show's impact - if indeed it's any good and attracts eyeballs. Everyone else has realised the weekly drip builds an audience and retains subscribers yet Netflix's entire identity is so wrapped up in binging, they can't or won't pivot for it. Cos this show does strike me as something that might be best enjoyed a little at a time to enjoy the mystery..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Plus bit hard to discuss the series online as you watch it, which for these types of shows can be half the fun, trying to tease out the mystery.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

100% agree with this, Constellation on Apple is weekly and mysterious, and I love reading the reddit between episodes for all the stuff people see, theories and explanations of things.

That's lost with binge stuff, and you always get some thick talking about the wrong episode in the wrong thread.

Watched the first episode and I'm hooked now; a classical TV series First Episode, all setup with a bunch of enticing teases and mysteries dangled in front of us to mull over.

Characters seemed a disparate, intriguing bunch though the pound-shop Ana DeArmas stuck out too much, though her performance was good to be fair

Absolutely a show that should be released weekly, what a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I really want to watch this but Benioff and Weiss being the showrunners has me wondering if they could possibly end up doing another Season 7,8 of GOT to this too.

Is there a chance of a second and subsequent seasons? Is there enough original material that they won't have to go off script?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

And as it happens Netflix love killing shows after 3 seasons so seems chances are good it'll see its way through the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Haven't watched any of it but I have to say the snippets Netflix are showing make it look absolutely woeful imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

3 episodes in and finding it good. If you like intriguing sci-fi you can't go wrong. Interesting to see Keiko (from Deep Space Nine) get a big role in this. Always thought she was a weak enough actress but she has been fine so far to be fair.

Interesting to see Keiko (from Deep Space Nine)

OMG THAT'S WHO IT IS!

I kept meaning to look up the cast 'cos every time I saw her my brain started shouting at me, but couldn't recall where I knew her from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only watched the first episode but liking it, hope it keeps like this unlike Constellation which is boring me now

And damn was thinking where do I know her from and like pixelburp didn't bother checking IMDB yet lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I gave it a go but I'm not sure it's for me, some of the characters and conversations are a bit wooden.

The Chinese side seems to be written well, characters have a bit of depth but everytime it comes back to the UK the characters and conversations feel hollow. Jack Rooney comes across as a badly written character.

2 episodes in and I'm not getting sucked in yet anyway.

Advertisement