Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Three-Body Problem - Netflix (***Spoilers***) David Benioff & D. B. Weiss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how is the entity only discussing basic human concepts like lying with evans after communication for so many years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A while since I read it but from memory the instability is somewhat minor in the sense that a civilization may last thousands of years with just survivable disruption before the system inevitably 'crashes' and there's a complete population wipe-out.

If there's a parallel with Earth, it might be that we survive hurricanes, floods, heatwaves, unexpectedly severe winters, droughts, tsunamis, earthquakes etc and just carry on progressing/developing, yet there is always the potential for one of those events to be civilization ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He probably steered well clear of anything leading to the entity not trusting him and his flock for years and eventually screwed up by choosing his words wrongly. Of course by that time the Earth had already been handed to them on a plate and they only needed a few brainwashed loons for the necessary dirty work, the main one being Marlo Kelly's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have just started this tonight, and already I am getting vibes off it like Dark, 1899, etc. Those type of shows which I think the writers come up with really weird or intriguing storyline or subplots but then try to write round it, and invariably fail to explain it all to the viewer.

I hope I don't waste 8hrs watching something with no ending.

So if someone wants to tell me to stop now, I'll heed their advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well the first season is the first book with bits of the other 2 books thrown in - so no there is no conclusion per se but the first part of the story is kinda wrapped up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

2 episodes left for me.

Still no word on a second season. Given the money they spent and lack of buzz around the show, I’m not feeling too optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The books are already published, so even if they cancel the TV series you can still get closure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Looked at buying the books or the audio books - but the reviews of the translation or the voice used were not very good

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I got book 2 last weekend, but I haven't got round to starting it yet, I'll try to remember to report back later in how I found the translation.

I guess one issue will be how the characters aren't exactly the same, with some apparently only existing in the TV show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nachouser

I can't see this getting renewed, unless they have a plan to really re-jig the books, like Foundation.

the boat thing is too silly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

editing was great. I thought they sliced it together really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,669 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It seemed too easy in the TV show. In the books it really comes down to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Tried the book a couple of years ago, but didn't get very far - too boring a start for me to get through. 3 episodes in and this is doing a good job of roping me in. Some interesting sci-fi ideas, even if peppered with lots of familiar tropes, but the overall thrust of the story and motivations are well laid out, while leaving lots of room for surprises.

Concerning motivations, the central conceit spins on a matter of psychology, but it reminds me of a quote from different sources expressing the same sentiment, which I happen to agree with:

"If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when
    Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very
    well for the Native Americans."

This one is attributed to Stephen Hawking. There is a better one, but I can't find it, referring to human nature; as in, what else would you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I think for the most part they did a decent job but it definitely lagged for the last couple of episodes. The choice to distribute the characters initially wasn't bad as it helped add some much needed humanity to the story but I think they made a few key mistakes in execution.

1 - They fell into the trap of everybody has to know or be related in some way to everyone else. E.g. the broken up characters are all close friends. The military component is represented by the boyfriend of one of those characters. They all know Will etc.

2 - Eisa Gonzales / Augy : Her part of the Jess/Augy original basically became 'I see numbers and own the nano-fibers, and btw I'll be the cliched scientist providing what you need to help us not get destroyed and then say I feel guilty about being effective'

3 - Jovan Adepo / Saul : His character in the book is presented as being a womanising non-empthetic jerk but also with some depth and intelligence. From the 2nd episode on we just see him as the slacker friend you can't work out why is even part of the group. They destroyed him before setting him up for probably the single most important role in the story. He has no credibility imho. Especially if as it seems with how they were introduced the other wallfacers will be minor characters, they had great arcs on their own. This is the single biggest problem I think as his area should be the strongest focus for season 2 and it's sucking any enthusiasm I might have out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

For those reading the books, stay the course, i found parts of the first book and definitely the first half of the second one hard going but then it really picked up and I couldn't put down! The third book is the easiest read (in terms of holding attention, in my opinion) but its really an overview of past and future stuff rather than a continuation of the story in the first two. The main story could have been in one longer book or maybe one movie, the three stretched out the idea a bit far for me or maybe could have been a second story arc.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I dove straight into book 2 after the first which was a mistake. Got very fatigued by the whole thing.

Finally getting back to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yeah I was the same, only when I mentioned to someone else that I was finding book 2 hard going and they said it gets better did I go back to at it, glad i did, the second half is well worth it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Were they not lying all along though? Didn't first reply say something like,' I'm a pacifist don't reply to this message.'

Whoever sent it knew they weren't all like that what would happen if they found earth

That person really was a pacifist from their planet. Gets a bit more time in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Based on the first reply & them them stating when one knows we all know I was thinking then they were just using the followers & then dropping them using the lying like an excuse, while they been lying to the followers all the time, no?

No. It really was a pacifist and they really were freaked out by the idea of deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭squonk

made it to ep4 with this and really wondered at the credits if I’d just chuck it.

The aliens seem like dopes. They seem unable to understand the basics of any nuance and I’m surprised that Evans is only finding this out now when reading the fairy tales after supposedly 25 years or more of contract. I’m even wondering how they managed to progress technically.

Similarly I can’t really understand how otherwise brilliant people aren’t realising that, while they’re ahead of us technically, it’s not insurmountable and in 400 years time we’ll likely be on a par if not surpassing them.

It’s not explained what the attraction is and it all looks more like a cult right now. Right now something that looked like a Sci Fi show is just turning into a religious cult show with sci Fi elements. Also the time of arrival is so far ahead that I’m not sure why anyone cares beyond getting prepared and the fact that the cultists know that science and technical development is being stymied really raises questions with me as to why most people are actually involved with the whole thing.

I’m pretty sure a lot of my observations might be issues with how the show is structured and adapted rather than a deficit in the source material but it seems like a bunch of pants and it’s even worse that the aliens are really just a maguffin.

Yes it is explained better in the books like most adaptations.

The aliens don't understand lies and deception could point at them being telepathic (just my guess)

They 100% know that we will surpass them in 400 years. That is the entire premise of the show and that's why they were feking with our science and killing scientists.

The cult think the aliens will save us from ourselves. It's not that unbelievable considering we have Scientology in real life who's religion is based on aliens and also Mormon cosmology believes in humans on other world and sometimes that Eden is a planet.

Ep 5 really moved things on. The nanofibres were impressive. I’ve never seen anything ike that on a show before.

I was kind of curious at the focus on the children on the boat before the nanofibre attack. I’m not sure if it was meant to elicit sympathy or horror but all I ended up thinking was it was unfortunate the kids had stupid parents. The race will be wiped out potentially due to these idiots choosing to communicate with the aliens despite the warning against it.

I’m not sure about the point of the aliens taking Liam Cunningham and the other scientists all about exactly how they are fúcking us and then announcing their coming and hostile stance to the world at large. If they’ve been in contact for 25 years then they must have since sense of us in that we’re pretty good at milling ourselves and others this wet coffee in contact with. You don’t necessarily need lots of technology to do that and it’s bit unforeseen that, given 400 years, some of us will figure out a free low tech options to deal with a hostile alien race given our backs are against the wall. The other thing about humanity is that we excel when s as need is great so the world wars caused us to accelerate progress and even more recently Covid had a similar effect. Again the aliens look kind of stupid. By the IDEMIA admission they don’t adapt or progress very quickly. They seem like a lot of hot air to me. Yes, if they showed up at the end of episode 5 we’d be screwed most likely but we can progress in many ways in 400 years outside of science.

I thought it was strange that the original lady who contacted them after being warned seemed kinda surprised and disappointed that the aliens turned out to be hostile and capricious…

yeah she seemed to have changed her tune very quickly. This whole mess is her fault. I really thought it would have taken more than a recording to change her mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Summing up a few things that compare the source and the show, so not saying the criticisms aren't valid for the show just how it's intended from the books

The original contact by Wenjie is during a period where she basically hates humanity. They do touch on some of it in the show but a good portion of the first book covers the pretty horrific things she is put through. In the books by the current date she has mellowed and there were essentially 2 groups within the ETO (alien culties) with Evans as portrayed in the show being on the 'kill em all' side and Wenjie trying to persuade the TriSolarins to co-exist with humans.

The first TriSolarin they contact is as claimed a pacifist. He's mentioned once or twice later. The 4th (non-Liu Cixin) book covers some rebellion and cultural upheaval on the TriSolarin side over those centuries. It'll be interesting to see if they include it in the adaptation. Their focus on Will leads me to think they intend to at least use some of that book (it's not bad btw, just not up to the core 3 standards) as it covers a lot of what happens to him whereas the main books don't really mention him much after his launch.

They don't have Telepathy but do have a way to read each others basic intent, like is someone telling the truth. They project thoughts visually to an extent. It's why that biological computer made up of millions of them worked in their history, they didn't have to just use flags each individual acting as a gate could 'read' their peers.

The aliens wanted to sow disbelief in science and also were extremely good at creating fear and panic in humanity. Telling key characters what they were doing and why was part of that. The Tencent adaptation has a really good representation of how this is told in VR to what would be the Jess/Augy combined character. Also they had a serious superiority complex and figured their plan was unbeatable so why not gloat a little.

The point about humanity's tech can still evolve is valid if this was the usual hollywood fare. But the best parts of the story are about how the laws of physics themselves are weaponised. Sure we can, and do, build bigger guns, faster ships, better armour etc. in those centuries but you will see at a key point how little that matters - and the TriSolarins know this. Disrupting science and particle physics specifically essentially means we can optimise what we have but not create anything net new.

Advertisement