Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - All data, calls, text (4 weeks plan) for €6.50 for the first 3 plans and €12.99 thereafter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Shane119

Just to echo what most posters are saying, I’ve always found roaming with 48 a disaster. I’ve never been able to get it to work abroad. None of the fixes on their website work for me including upgrading to the new sim. I’m on the €7.99 a month plan. That’s the only reason I’m still with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Spn744

are you using an iPhone? It works for me with Northern Ireland but the settings are a disaster to navigate. If it is an iPhone I can help you with how it’s done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Would you mind posting for everyone please, have two iPhones in the house, heading off over coming weeks and roaming is a disaster. Have tried everything agents suggested and nothing works. Last year they told us buy a local sim. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

I've been with 48 for a couple of years now on the 7.99 deal, and have been able to roam in the Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Spain (Lanzarote) without too much trouble.

One thing I had to sort out early on was the "Access Point Names" (APN), once I sorted that everything worked.

I have an android phone, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, and to get into it its under Settings -> Mobile Networks and there is an entry called Access Point Names. Click on it and it should list the APNs and one of them, image below. I've renamed the APN to "48 Internet", so the one on your phone might be called something different, but it should have the text 48months.liffeytelecom.com under the APN name, as per the screenshot below.

You have two options, 1] Try and edit the entry you have (click on the APN in the list, and then the 3 dots in top right and select edit), or 2] create a new entry using the Add option in top right of screen, and then select that as your default once created. The create option might be the better thing to do, as it might be cleaner. Just remember to select it from the APN list, so its your default APN for mobile connections.

When either editing or creating the APN details, set them as per the screen shot below, and make sure to save them (especially if editing, click the 3 dots in the top right to save)

Once you have your APN set-up and selected as you default APN, the only thing left to do (and I can only say this if you are on the older SIM), is to make sure you change to the International Roaming Profile when abroad.

So, to do that, do the following :

1] Swipe up from the bottom of your phone to call up the App drawer.

2] In the search bar type SIM and it should show an app called "48 Sim Menu"

3] Click on that App

4] From the next screen that appears click on "When Abroad"

5] From the next screen that appears click on "Network Selection"

6] From the next screen that appears click on "Manual"

7] From the next screen that appears click on "International Roaming Profile"

You should get a message on the screen that says "refreshing SIM data", or similar wording.

That should be it, you should be roaming.

When you come back home you just need to follow the steps 1-7 above again, and for step 7, you need to select "Local - Home Profile".

Not ideal having to switch manually between the International and Home profiles, but doesn't bother me for the sake of 7.99 a month. Maybe if you have the newer SIM and have sorted the APN details above, it might work automatically.

Hope the above helps someone, as I said, I've not had any issues roaming with 48. Ohh and above also works on wifes Samsung Galaxy S23.

• Advertisement

What we do on our 2 iPhone 48.ie old sims. Go into settings>mobile service>sim applications> when abroad> network selection> manual

then go into mobile data network> toggle off automatic and select the network (for the UK O2 is the partner network)

if this doesn’t work toggle aeroplane mode on for 20 seconds and off.

also make sure that data roaming is enabled.

it can take a bit of trial and error in the settings but I go to Northern Ireland weekly and this works for me and my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

this is what we do too - takes an age to remember and its T&E - fine when you are travelling with someone who has a phone and can google but a pain when on your own with one phone unless you have instructions printed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Thanks for posting @Spn744 will give it a try when we are away, hopefully we get sorted with those instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

48 were emailing some customers with required settings for roaming last year or possibly just to those who emailed complaints.For the past 6 months my phone(new sim)has been automatically picking up foreign networks without any need to check the settings.Countries in the last year-Northern Ireland(UK),Spain mainland and islands,Egypt,Cyprus,Albania,UAE,Sri Lanka,Thailand,Vietnam,Indonesia and Singapore.Prior to 6 mths ago it was hit and miss even with the new sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I find the only way I can get it working it using the 48sim menu app that's in the list of apps on my phone and going into "when abroad" once I switch to manual network selection there it seems to work ok.

It's a disaster otherwise. If three come back with a deal like the hero one from November 2022 for €15 I'll be jumping on that. Kicking myself I didn't switch at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rightplace2016

Anyone else move from 3 to 48 and expect it to be same quality as its the same network?. I did but finding 48 giving me lte and h+ all time whereas I was getting solid 4g no issues with three . Is it same network but 48 have lower quality data on it or am i missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You are correct, the APN governs how the data is handled which is different for 48. Same applies to post mobile and Vodafone or three and Tesco. Whereas gomo and eir use same APN so data should be same

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Summer2020

How f*cking hard is it for this crowd to sort out roaming ? This has been going on for years. Nothing has ever worked smoothly for me roaming with 48 , and that’s with the new sim which was supposed to fix all this faffing around with APN’s nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Considering they have said a few times "we are working on it and should have it fixed by the end of the month" for about 3 years now I can't understand how they are let away with it.

Hi. Sorry, just saw your comment now. Yes, it’s an iPhone XS Max. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. Sorry, just saw your comment now. Yes, it’s an iPhone XS Max. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've an email from 2 years ago saying they were working on it, it's a bit annoying when I cross the border now and again.

For the €7.99 a month deal I got a few years back, it's the only complaint I really have.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The Roaming Troubleshooting Guide is little use to you if you’re in your rental car in a foreign airport trying to get Google maps to work and you’ve no internet connection because roaming isn’t working!

• Advertisement

Yep, you need a wifi connection or I've a rough idea of what to do from memory at this stage. They really should have it sorted by now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Any word on them allowing WiFi calling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Thanks ! Been meaning hit download this as a pdf for years

done now😀

Good stuff, never thought of the pdf. Could take a screenshot of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

They are going 5G for all customers on or joining 12.99 plan from 15th Feb.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

"A reminder that if you upgrade to the €12.99 plan, you won’t be able to return to your previous plan."

Wonder if this will be clearly displayed before opting in from the lower price plans, specifically when using the Gift Shop method of buying a membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Bastards, I knew they were testing it, as I'd sometimes pick up 5G when driving around, but when I'd attempt a speedtest or anything, it'd go back to 4G instantly!

So I'm on the 7.99 plan, so I can go fúck myself I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

When you're paying 7.99 a month I don't think you can be too outraged tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Course I can!

This thread is full of people mad that data roaming doesn't work.

It doesn't matter whether they are on 7.99, 10.99 or 12.99 it doesn't work equally!

We should all get 5G, people on the cheaper plans have a GB p/m limit and that would limit our ability to take the piss.

People on AYCE data at 12.99 with 5G could download my allowance of 100GB in no time.

Advertisement