Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - All data, calls, text (4 weeks plan) for €6.50 for the first 3 plans and €12.99 thereafter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Spn744

They’re not going ahead with the switch from monthly to every 4 weeks. Strange decisions all around with the bad press and backlash it produced!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

If they genuinely listened to customer feedback and reversed the decision then kudos to them. I am impressed.

Usually companies make a bad decision then double down on stupidity (Looking at you, Reddit).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭JoeCat

I started using 48 several years ago and I travel to 4 or 5 different European countries a year. At the beginning I had roaming issues, but it got fixed and no issue for any of our 4 mobile phones at home. Same for another friend who is using them. What I wish is to had known them before, as I believe they were even cheaper earlier, but I had never heard of them, until a friend told me. Now I am delighted.

I am paying 7.99 EUR a month. For me it is a big difference, as the price has to be kept, can't be increased. So a year for 4 people it cost me: 383.52 EUR, vs 720 EUR at 15 EUR. That's a massive saving for me. Most important is that by contract 48 can not increase the fees, the other surely can. It works wonderfully for me, but obviously everyone can do whatever they want with their money. I have friends who pay happily up to 70 EUR a month, for exactly the same, with Vodafone bill. I used to pay 25 and 20 EUR a month, now 7.99 EUR. Multiply this by 12 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

more likely the complaints to Comreg or the ASAI made them reconsider for existing customers who were promised fixed price for life. The new offer is 4-week billing.

re: the roaming - I got new SIMs for the kids, but it's still very hit and miss. You can generally get it working eventually but it's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is the 12.99 new sign ups 4 weeks or is everyone a month? You can be sure they'll start doing things to get people off the plan so I doubt roaming will ever become "fixed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭OrangeLavender

I'm thinking of getting a temporary e-sim when travelling in case this is an issue. Has anyone used any of these with success?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's 4 weeks for new users, not a month. It says so in the flyer at the top of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

The flier at the top of the thread might be out of date now, following yesterday's announcement that 48 aren't changing their billing periods - would they have 2 systems in place for pre-5th July and post-5th July customers?

Edit to add:

Looks like new and existing customers are staying on monthly membership - their website has changed from that posted by the OP - it now says per month, not per 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭crustybread

Anyone looking to move to 48 that likes to travel, think twice. Their roaming is dreadful. I had the wife and kids on their plan and moved them all to gomo as every time we went away it was an ordeal trying to connect to whichever local network. This was mainly Spain and Portugal but if you look at their forums seems to be all over the place. You might pay a little extra for others but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

Yeah, get it through VF as PAYG. Easy to set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

I could consider switching from old legacy three plan if they would charge again under €10 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭eddieoregan

I’m currently with 48 Mobile on €12.99 Membership, I’m thinking, “Should I stay or Should I GoMo” 🤓🤓🤓

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭eddieoregan

What is the point of these add-ons, if your membership has “all calls & all data”???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If I remember right when 48 started out they were unlimited and they offered the add-ons in case you ran out. Guess they just never removed the option even though it is unlimited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Other plans don't. I'm on an older plan with some limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can't find anything on the 48 site, but do they do an international calls add-on? Everything else seems like it would suit the mother (I have a 3 phone and zero coverage/4g/5g issues, mast across the road!). She doesn't do roaming anymore, but does have relatives in Spain/England who she rings about once a month. An hour call on 48 to the UK would cost nearly €15, so they're a no-go if there's no decent priced add-on (seems you need to be logged in to view add-ons).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

It is all data and all calls, subject to a fair usage policy of 200GB and 5000 minutes. You'd need to buy addon data if you run out.

https://48.ie/legal/price-plan-details

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was thinking if switching to 48 for my elderly Mum who doesn't travel abroad and only uses the phone for making and receiving calls so she won't use internet data or text messaging. She's with Tesco currently where I top her up by 15 euro every 4 weeks. Would it be easy to port her current number over to 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you're going for the 13 euro plan, then take a look at gomo for 15 as you'll get 5G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

I ported from Tesco a few years ago without any issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks. She won't need to use the Internet on the phone l. Actually she doesn't know how so I wouldn't worry about the speed of connection. As long she can make and receive calls that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Just had a look on my account and couldn’t see any international add ons.

Could WhatsApp/FaceTime calls be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Same here but since mid June.Reverts to Proximus after leaving the Republic and won't allow any changes to APN settings.Consequently no roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

All very but what to do when Proximus won't delete to allow 48monthsliffeytelecom to be entered.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Strange, I’m in Portugal at the moment and missus and I have had no issues with roaming on 48!

€8 a month, been the best deal we have ever gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

two iPhones we were there for 10 days with nothing only hotel WiFi and agent told us go buy a local sim in the end as nothing worked. The attached didn’t work so we contacted another agent.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“two iPhones we were there for 10 days with nothing only hotel WiFi and agent told us go buy a local sim in the end as nothing worked. The attached didn’t work so we contacted another agent.”

One iPhone and one Android in our case. The Android phone just worked, the iPhone needed a restart, but then worked.

The details on my iPhone look like this:

APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com

Username and Password empty.

I’m connected to the NOS mobile network here in Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Have you tried switching IMSI?

Go to your apps > 48 SIM Menu > When Abroad > Network Selection > Manual > International - Roaming profile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I've used 48 on my Samsung all over Spain or the past number of years without a problem on either data or phone-calls once I changed the settings. When i came home I didn't change them back either. Phone works fine here too.

I had friends over with me last year who had IPhones on 48. They had problems, but I believe that 48 has now uploaded a video explaining how to change the settings on IPhones.

Advertisement