Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - All data, calls, text (4 weeks plan) for €6.50 for the first 3 plans and €12.99 thereafter

Options
  • 13-06-2023 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭

I don't think this is posted anywhere yet, I was looking at sim only plans and noted 48.ie had new pricing which seems like a cracking deal.

As the title suggested, 48.ie - All data, calls, text (4 weeks plan) for €6.50 for the first 3 plans and €12.99 thereafter. I guess you need more than 3 sims, you just open another account to stay with the €6.50 pricing.

Apart from that, I wonder what are the feedback for current/former customer? Anything to watch out for/issues on this network? I was trying to find whether there is any speed cap for data (i.e. Vodafone cap it at 10mb/s or something like that) but can't seem to see any information from the terms page. Not sure where else to find out those info. Can someone shed some light? I can only assume it is the same as the ALL DATA €12.99 PLAN except that the price is now €6.50 instead.

That said, for €6.50, I'll definitely take a punt.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You must also pay an activation fee. There's a big thread on mobiles forum but at that price, I'd be looking at gomo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭lau1247

Thanks for the clarification, didn't know it has been discussed.

It is not much of a bargain unfortunately if it is only for "3 top up". The wording is bit misleading alright

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

I concur, you've to look at the longer picture rather than a free month etc.

48 has awful roaming issues plus there's talk at moment of some bands on masts bring powered down to save energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Where did you hear about masts being powered down? Bound to lead to issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

48 is a disaster. One SIM in the house just doesn't roam. They swapped it and still doesnt. Now we have a new-new SIM. Will see does it work next month but already noticed the hotspot function is lost.

I run 3 gomos and they are fine. Also a clear mobile also fine, although while data is unlimited, the speed is capped at 5meg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

This offer is an attempt to distract from 48's recent change from monthly plans to 4-weekly plans, meaning that customers pay 13 times a year,not 12 as before.

As another poster mentioned,roaming is very hit and miss, I visit NI regularly, and can't get roaming to work there.

Plan charges don't include international calls, premium rate texts or receiving MMS picture messages, you need additional credit on your account if any of these are important to you.

Over on the mobiles forum

Doesn't sound good at all

https://confusedbird.com/thread-177-page-3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭delboy85

I've been with 48 for years. Currently on a €10.99 monthly plan. Have absolutely no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭BrentMused

48 was perfect for me in Ireland but if you travel and need roaming I would advise not to go near it.

You'd almost need a degree in IT to get it up and running!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Ozvaldo

no roaming issues for me no complaints abt them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭JoeCat

I have been a 48 customer for several years now and I can assure you that it is one of the best things I have ever done!!!!

I used to pay 25 EUR a month with other Telecom providers, now everyone in the family has a 7.99 EUR monthly payment, with everything included. No coverage issues whatsoever in Ireland or Northern Ireland. The only bad thing is that when we started around 5 years ago, I had issues with roaming in Poland for internet (everything else was working). I must say though that the last several years 48 have fixed it and we no longer have issues. For example, this year we have been to Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Poland and we haven't had any roaming issues in any of the 4 countries.

I honestly recommend it to anyone (all around me are using it) as it is the best savings I have made in ages.

If you want, you can even use my referral link, on 48 and we'll both get free credit plus a €10 Uber Eats voucher. :

https://refer.48.ie/WYiPVE  

You'll get All Data, Calls and Texts for just €6.50 for each of your first 3 plans and €12.99 every 4 weeks thereafter. 

When you join 48, you'll get..

•    99% 4G population coverage. Powered by Three. 

•    No commitment, cancel anytime.

•    Try before you buy with 1GB Free Data

It's not a just a short term saving, in the long term you save a lot as well, compared to all other Telecoms. I actually regret not knowing about 48 much earlier. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

I used 48 for 2 months. Roaming worked in one EU country, wouldn't work in another EU country.

Roaming issues are widespread but plenty also have no issue. Depends on how valuable roaming is to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

I managed to get in on the €7.99 plan they were doing a few years ago. Mostly no complaints, but as others have said if you travel frequently then their roaming is awful. I went to France and the UK last year and luckily I knew about the roaming issues in advance, so I just got a 3 SIM before I travelled and used that for roaming instead. I did try the 48 SIM but it didn't work for roaming in either country and I couldn't be arsed jumping through the hoops they have on their website to try and get it working. The one other complaint I have is that sometimes even the 4G in Ireland is a bit crap, but it's not something that happens to me too regularly.

For the price I have it at I'm fine with the couple of downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Another 7.99 customer here from a BA alert at the time. Wouldn't give it up now at that price (even with the change to 4-week billing). :)

Was in UK recently (and had changed phones since last visit).

I did have to check their FAQ this time to change the APN settings & took a couple of goes. But once set up was grand & was a one time change.

Maybe not for those who don't want to be going through their phone settings \ set up if you need it set up in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hideki99235

7.99 bill is amazing, but the roaming is an absolute disaster. Average takes a couple of hours to get onto a network and its only through trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

48 offer free replacement SIMs for existing customers. This should (they say) fix the roaming issues.

Personally had no issues with roaming on a recent trip to EU. Last year was a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Replacement SIM didn't fix the roaming issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Been abroad a few times on the old 48 SIM. The main issue seems to be that when the sim tries to data roam, it somehow deletes the liffeytelecom APN from the SIM and leaves some proximus apn that doesn't connect. This has worked for me every time I've used 48 roaming (Spain, Uk, Hungary).

What works for me (when I land):

1. Go into the apn settings and add 48months.liffeytelecom.com as your APN (don't bother touching the other settings) and save the settings. Make sure that APN is selected.

2. Open the SIM toolkit app (It's somewhere in the network settings if using an iPhone) and go to When Abroad > Select Mode > Manual.

3. Manually search for a network. Most countries only have one or 2 networks that actually allow you to connect (Eg Movistar and Vodafone work in Spain).

Process takes about 5 minutes. Bit of a pain in the hole but worth it as I'm still on the €7.99 plan!

Replacement sim didn't work for me re roaming.

I had 7.99 plan but gave it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

agreed. went to London recently. 2 of us had 48. 1 had Gomo. guess which one just roamed without needing any intervention? guess which ones needed about an hour of googling, trying to match outdated screenshots with newer OS versions to try get phones to roam? Roaming was only for calls in the end too.

extra cost for GOMO/some other network is well worth it if you travel more than once in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You would imagine it would be a reasonably straightforward thing for them to fix. Perhaps it suits them to leave it as is as it will drive some customers to 3 instead. Hard to believe they couldn’t have it fixed at this stage if they were trying.

I was with them (only moved to Vodafone as I needed esim) and would move back to them in the future but not if they don’t sort out roaming. When travelling is the most important time to have a reliable connection.

I concur with this sentiment. the 7.99 wasn't worth it when you'd travel a few times a year or even going up North. Getting off a plane and being able to sort out your transfer or an uber etc is important.

Tesco had similar issues a few years back. It could be fixed easily but it seems they don't want to.

I don't understand why anyone would sign up at the 12.99 rate when gomo or postmobile is only 2 euro more plus you get a calendar month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It isn't even €2 more. 48 works out at €169 a year (€13 x 13 "months"). GoMo is €180 (€15 x 12). So €11 more expensive a year, less than a euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭JoeCat

No. I work in a completely different field and I doubt they actually have many employees. In addition, if I was an employee, do you think I would be sending a referral link? hehehe

I just find it shocking that people would use other Telecoms, paying much more, when you get exactly the same for much cheaper and they resolved the roaming issues some time ago. Anyway, everyone can do whatever they want with their money. I am delighted with them and I wish I had changed many years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Just fyi, roaming issues solved in some countries but not all, just depends on where you are holidaying. Had no roaming in Portugal in May for 11 days and after days of over and back with agent they told us to go buy a local sim. We had updated to new sims prior to our holiday.

I wish you were correct but roaming issues are ongoing, might work or might not work.

At 12.99 it's a high price for a might work solution when there's others at 15 for a proper calendar month.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭OrangeLavender

Has anyone been to Sweden and Norway with 48? Wondering what the roaming is like there but maybe it depends on your phone and OS too.

I don't think it's phone and OS related. Within 1 month, 2 EU countries. No prob in 1 (didn't require any change in settings), no 2 couldn't get it to work. New sim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

48 roaming in Netherlands last year was Edge as 3G network has been shut down, my cousin is only back from netherlands since last week and he had 4G speeds in excess of 150mb download speeds, he changed his sim the week before he left and didnt have to toggle the roaming profile thingy to manual either. Im back over there next month and Ive already changed over my wife and daughter's sim to a new type so hopefully they'll have no issues. My wife and no issues roaming in London twice last year on 48 either, albeit she only got 3G

Advertisement