Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - All data, calls, text (4 weeks plan) for €6.50 for the first 3 plans and €12.99 thereafter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Always a % of people who have absolutely excellent service from 48.I get better service in Africa and Asia (in countries where they claim to have no agreements)than Northern Ireland-on the island of Ireland.Overall I'd give them 2 out of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just regarding 48 issues roaming.

I own house in Spain I go there frequently and my wife and sons iphones could ever roam and I tried everything under the sun I communicated with 48 lots of times. We eventually learned the issue is on iphones and 48 as androids roam ok. I eventually took all yhefay off 48 and moved to Gomo and roaming has now been flawless for all of us the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭gipi

Android phones don't all roam ok. I'm on Android and can't get roaming data in NI.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

We are currently in Netherlands and my wife and daughter had no bother getting roaming to work with 48, they both got it automatic this year also, they were receiving messages and whatsapp while we touched down in Amsterdam. They are getting 100mb + speeds in around the cities we have visited. My Eir is not as good this year as it was last year, I remember having 5G as standard, this year it's just 4G

48 must be well in with a Dutch phone company.Maybe a 3 subsidiary.Were they SMS or Whatsapp messages and not picking up WiFi somewhere?

• Advertisement

NI is a major struggle to get roaming.Picked up Vodaphone for the first time yesterday,normally EE.Had to add 48months settings twice.Got EE on 1st attempts for seconds only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Got an iPhone 10 to roam in Spain no bother last week just by changing the APN thingy to liffeytelecom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I did all that on iphone 6 and iphone 8 and it only cut in and out for seconds at a time. Perhaps the newer iphones are working

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭freshfruit

Just back from Spain with 3 members of family on 38. We had awful trouble connecting to roaming with all of them because the article settings werent accurate and/or didnt' work.

I spent ages on the chat with a support agent who sorted it for me. APN has to be 48months.liffeytelecom.com, all other settings can be left blank. the 48 SIM menu app under When Abroad > Network Selection has to be set to Automatic. That did the trick, in Spain anyways

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Definitely not connected to wifi, my daughter had no problems streaming on her instagram and snapchat from the coldplay gig in Amsterdam last night, and after 9 days here, she has now managed to use up her 10gb roaming allowance now 🙈 So I can 100% say for certain that 48 roaming works fine in the Netherlands, and as I mentioned earlier, I would say its more consistent than Eir this year, as my roaming has been hit and miss at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭spakman

Working fine in Spain for me without having to even check the settings. connected immediately once I turned on the phone.

I didn't get a new SIM (same one for past 2 or 3 years) and the APN is set as 48months.liffeytelecom.com

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pekarirska

Lycamobile offers "unlimited" national data, calls and text plus unlimited international calls to the UK, Spain, etc... for €25 a month on their "Unlimited Plus" plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I tried Lyca last year and found it pure muck, dropped calls and poor data speeds.

EU is 30Gb and they have a AUP on their unlimited but can't find it. If travel is important, go with PostMobile 15 plan which gives you 25Gb Vodafone data in EU.

I had an awful trouble with 48 roaming two years ago. Road tripping, entered France and data gone... until I updated the apn settings as advised in previous posts.

I then drove from the Atlantic Ocean to the east of the country, continued into Germany until touching the North Sea, then turning south into Austria, Slovenia and Croatia, then back crossing Italy, France and back to Ireland. No roaming issues whatsoever.

Got pulled over by Italian Carabinieri on a motorway because of my wife's flagrant use of mobile phone, roaming again. Got stuck behind that police car with Christmas lightshow turned on for 10 minutes until the motorway exit appeared. She of course continued talking on the phone all this time, sitting on the left side of the car where a driver is supposed to be in Europe. They continued filming us, and even brought over their laptop, probably to show us the evidence. Should have seen the officer's face when the window rolled down and there was no steering wheel :-) Italian law enforcement at it's best!

I repeated the 48 roaming exercise in the Alps this winter yielding the same seamless outcome.

48 roaming works as advertised in my experience. Multiple providers were used across borders without any issue. But then add a human factor and there will be trouble 😵‍💫, especially in Italy 😜

Fantastic with 48 roaming and police diligence.Absolutely fantastico.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's a decent offer. Even the Go Unlimited would be grand for €20 a month. I'd be tempted. They use the 3 network and I'm on 3 with zero issues for data/connectivity, so I may change her over to try it out. Not sure on the pay for a year option, Go Unlimited for 12 months is €110 with a current discount and works out at just under €9.17 a month. That seems crazy good. Wonder how hard it would be to get back if it was crap! Fair tempting...

Try it first. Like 48 or Tesco on 3 or postmobile on Vodafone, signal is the same but they process data separately so you'll find data speeds will differ a lot from three speeds. "No. of bars" stay the same. I found Lyca appalling for data speeds

There's also Viber Out. 2c/minute to call mobiles and landlines PAYG or the unlimited plan for €6 a month. Free trial also:

https://account.viber.com/en/call-world

Skype have a similar plan.Though it's not clear from Viber's info if you can use the plan outside of Ireland.I mean call from say Oz or Argentina back to Ireland and pay the same 2c.Probably not that kind of cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yes you can. Where you're calling from is irrelevant as it's over mobile data or wi-fi. I use Viber and Yolla regularly and find them pretty faultless.

I call from Ireland to certain destinations and get charged a different rate when calling back to Ireland from the same places is what I meant.But still cheap.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, rates can very a fair bit depending on destination. For instance, UK seems to be a lot more expensive to call than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭crustybread

tbf, It's not an ordeal if you are tech savvy and happy to have to amend the settings each time you fly. What p**d me off is they advertised these issues should now be corrected with the latest SIM, I ordered same and wife (Iphone) had same problems on arrival in Portugal in May. I wasn't with her and herself or her friends could not correct the issue. She had WIFI only for the trip. I switched her to GOMO soon after, Just back from Spain last week and no issues when roaming. No need to change any settings. Happy wife, Happy life :-) I'm happy to pay the extra to cut out the need to tinker with settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

From my experience with 48 and roaming, it's a real pain—specifically, when using an iPhone and Android phone in the UK and Spain. I know what to do now, but it's still bothersome every time I switch countries. I would like to encourage more people to switch to 48 due to its competitive pricing, but overall coverage in Ireland is quite poor. I often use intercity trains, and the coverage is terrible unless I'm near a town. Additionally, the roaming aspect while being in another country is also dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

New 48 here, ported from Three 5G. In terms of speed no difference. No problems so far. Regarding roaming, (I have one more sim card) yes I can confirm that did not work at all, I tried everything to have it going with no success. I ordered a replacement sim card, I will see when abroad if there is any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just back from Bulgaria. Two phones on 48 and both sims replaced this year for the supposedly better roaming experience. Both phones connected immediately. Worked fine for both data and calls. I was roaming on 5G some of the time. Did not have to go into the 48 menu for the roaming profile. Samsung Galaxy S21 FE and Google Pixel 3A.

On a previous trip to Bulgaria I could not get anything to work on my previous phone which was a Huawei.

So, is it the new sim's? Is it the brand of phone?

Neither,just pot luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Stupendousman

Is the current €12.99 deal for life like GoMo or can they increase it as and when they want?

• Advertisement

They tried and failed last year but going to 28 days so yes, for life. But expect no upgrades compared to dearer plans eg 5G

Advertisement