Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That office has always existed.

Assisting failed applicants to leave the country is always preferential. And a whole lot cheaper then forced deportations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Self loathing has taken over in a lot of Western countries and here is no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

God...this whinge again.

The people who come out with stuff like this are the very people I often find are never contented with Ireland and see nothing but Lefty Liberal bogeymen and traitors all around them as they grumble, whine and moan interminably about how misguided everyone else is while offering nothing tangible or sustainable in return as solutions. All of this of course from the comfort of a relatively stable, peaceful and prosperous country where people regularly seek the benefit of travelling and living abroad to further their own life experience and careers — armed with the privilege of good education and/or training.

But no, according to the patriots and people who claim to love Ireland and the Irish people — Ireland is a sh*thole and its people deluded sheep who vote foolishly.

• Advertisement

Haha I never said Ireland was a shithole and I never even said anything about how they vote. I was replying to the comment from the poster who said that Irish people run down their own countrymen and women in order to defend immigrants and I do believe it's true in a lot of cases. You even see it on this thread, Irish people are racist, dole scroungers, etc but immigrants are the hardest working people you'll ever meet in your life

Blame the US for spreading white guilt to the rest of the world

You never said it directly sure, but the buzzwords like "white guilt" are the ever-present indicators of the simplistic view that to speak positively of immigration or migrants with any form of negative reference to anything to do with Ireland is akin to self-loathing, white guilt etc.

I mean, did someone actually say that Irish people are racist, and not just a proportion of Irish people? That all migrants are the hardest working people you'll ever meet in your life and that none of them are opportunistic in seeking to contribute nothing to society? Are these really the arguments being made or are you just sensationalising them so that it can all fit into this neat little "white guilt" label that people use to portray anyone they see as more liberal than them as being guided by guilt and emotion rather than rationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ireland is coming late (but rapidly!) to the party when it comes to the joys of multiculturalism. Most western EU countries were enriched 20 years, many have right wing anti immigration parties at the helm now.

The EU elections next month is predicted a swing to the right .

Again, arguing over things I haven't said. It's been said many times on this thread that immigrants bring a lot to Ireland. Legal immigration that is. I was simply responding to the poster that said that some people will run down their countrymen and women. I agree with that point

And white guilt does exist. You've heard the term white privilege, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,412 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The individual should be responsible for their own deportation as in the costs on them, 35,000 for a flight for deportation where does that cost come from, is that for one deportee?

It's ridiculous that a failed applicant, can appeal and appeal but then still stay despite failing

Justice and Integration should merge departments and get way tougher

The fact NGOs are getting state funding and then helping IPAs sue us over no accommodation or failed applications and appeals is ludicrous, the revenue should audit and investigate the NGOs, is there a regulator for NGOs?

If Harris had any balls, his first issues as Taoiseach for Ireland instead of his calls abroad should have been immigration control plus procedures and also health

• Advertisement

And if the failed applicant cannot afford their own costs? What then? They stay until such a time, if ever, they are forcibly deported. Which, as you pointed out, is extremely expensive. So it makes perfect sense to assist failed applicants with the cost of leaving.

the right to appeal is a right afforded to all humans, most would appreciate it, if they were convicted of something, or banned from a sport etc.

They are not 'suing ' us, they are going to the courts to ensure their rights.

So you think it's fair to keep appealing and appealing until in the end granted

Didn't NGOs help IPAs sue over no accommodation or unsuitable accommodation when arriving here, if not suitable there is many other countries to go to, I'm sure they pass a few getting here

This system really is unbelievable, we must be seen as a easy soft touch gullible treasure Ireland

There is a limited number of appeals. You cannot keep appealing indefinitely.

Its not suing, it's going to court to ensure their rights.

The safe countries currently are Algeria, Botswana, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Georgia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Serbia, and South Africa, is there more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭thomas 123

looking at that list, why would we ever accept an application from someone who has arrived here via someone where else - say the UK or France except in the case of a connecting flight.

It just makes no sense at all. “Danger” has been escaped why do you get the option of shopping around where you want to become an asylum seeker.

This is a comment based on how the system has and currently works - not the New eu agreement.

Yes and how many have already claimed asylum elsewhere but hear about all on offer here so over they come

Nah they googled our GDP and found out we're the second richest country in the world, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is so true. If there is a problem with legislation the Minister for Justice is very well placed to resolve that. It's frustrating when you hear current FF and FG representatives acting like they aren't in parties that have shared power for longer than most Irish people have been alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'd guess they'd have done a general search of best jobs market, wealthiest countries in Europe etc.

Is that so unlikely?

I mean these are the people who we're expected to believe all have expert knowledge of comparative IPA welfare rates across Europe, and follow Rodric O Gorman on twitter.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

Deleted

Post edited by Lotus Flower on

• Advertisement

But who is running down their countrymen and women? It strikes me as an exaggeration. It's absolutely OK to criticise someone or a group of people of the same nationality as you, and adding a positive statement about immigrants does not suddenly mean you are running down all Irish people and defending all migrants. All this stuff about self loathing and white guilt is built on a mentality of thinking that Guardian articles and certain politicians are somehow representative of the broad views of people who consider themselves Left or Centrist.

Plus it's just as easy for me to say, well, who is really running the country down when you have the daily dose on here on how the country is being destroyed, going to the dogs ....while an apparently over-permissive Irish society is allowing it to happen? Is that not running the country down or does it only apply so long as it's levelled at anyone left of centre?

Also....white privilege doesn't invariably mean white guilt. I can acknowledge many facets of my life where I benefit from privilege, doesn't mean I feel guilty about it.

Indeed they do, and what have these right wing parties actually done that is dramatically different? How's that right wing Italian government getting on with implementing the promises made on immigration that swept it into power? Or indeed the right wing government in the UK. I have no doubt that the pendulum will swing right one year, and swing left another year — as it has always done— but it isn't the bell toll of great change and revolution that those celebrating the victories claim them as.

What I always find interesting as well, and it's evident from your use of the "enriched" buzzword in sarcasm, is that there is always this assertion that certain countries — France, Germany, UK etc — are these fallen societies that are supposed to represent the terrifying spectre of what awaits us. Yet, Western Europe in general, supposedly destroyed by immigration, remains by any objective measure of the best places in the world to either be born in or to reside in — whether it be in terms of prosperity, opportunity, education, health, freedom and tolerance. It seems odd to point at this state of affairs and cry out that the end is nigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The appraisal by the 'prime minister' as you put it places the blame squarely on their own failure and successive governments failure to promote integration of migrant populations .

This has been discussed at length here before .

Were you not involved in those very discussions ?

But still you seek to reintroduce it here .

Not to mention the gobshxtery that started the recent riots ..

" Many Swedes were shocked earlier this month after violent riots left more than 100 police injured. The violence erupted after a Swedish-Danish politician BURNED the Quran at a rally and sought to hold more in several immigrant-dominated neighborhoods."!

Seriously ? He BURNED the Quran at a rally and wanted to repeat it again at many other rallies in the neighbourhoods where these immigrants are living ?

So who do you think is to blame them for the trouble ?

And did you read the link you posted ?

The Prime Minister in 2022.

who stated that they had failed on integration.

Thankfully, we are spreading our IPAs and refugees around the whole country, so we shouldn't see parallel societies here.

So no blame on the immigrants turning areas in Sweden into war zones? All the governments fault alas.

Apologies for reintroducing the fact that Sweden is now the gun capital of Europe due to immigrants. I know how hard it is to defend the indefensible!

WWell, so the prime minister in your link stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Parts of Ireland are as bad and UK for knife crime .And not immigrant areas.

No, I am only ponting out that there is blame on all sides not just on immigrants .

What do you think of the guy burning the Quran ? You think that was blameless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Sunjava

Immigration is a numbers game. Once the numbers are such that the native people begin to notice a visible change there is an inevitable reaction. We are seeing it now, only here it is coupled with the government's inability to satisfy the needs of the native population in the first place, be it housing, healthcare, childcare, the basics. Also, the make-up of the incoming people is a factor, to what degree are they different to the native population etc, all natural...but it's on this point that people are called all sort of nasty things and therefore skirt around it, but slowly people are coming around to being honest in their thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41374048.html What is going on when the department justice is telling the minister for justice that there is a problem, are our laws not built for purpose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement