Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Re the idea about having all of the EU countries having identical supports mentioned yesterday. This sounds good in theory, but the fact that no other EU country has a complete sap of a Justice Minister that keeps throwing citizenship parties for all and sundry - so we'd still be destination #1

Indeed, Jordan stood out for me too along with Nicaragua, El Salvador and Bolivia - Ukraine at 487 seeking asylum and not Temp P - wtf is going on there?

I'd like to see the breakdown of the 1867 in 'Other' Nationalities - There'd be some cracking stories there I'd wager - along the lines of the lady from South Africa that was on the radio with 'the most trusted man in Ireland', where her hubby was giving her a few slaps (the bad bastard) and literally her only option, was to travel the 10k kms to get to Ireland due to the continent of Africa being so small, the bad bastard would've found her

For all you lefty libs out there, If you don't think the vast bulk of these people are taking the absolute piss, you're deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Undoubtedly there are scroungers, but heaps of them aren’t. I have three working for me, all very capable and hard working. Two of them are sisters and lost their homes in 2022. The other one left Bucha in the early days of the war.

Ir is extremely unlikely Paddy would behave any better than the Ukrainians if we had to flee because a powerful neighbour started bouncing the sh1te out of us, raping women, threatening nuclear war etc.

It takes really wilful ignorance to despise people who you know are from a country in the crisis Ukraine found itself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭robwen

If the government could just implement the logical, reasonable & sensible measures from that internal document most people would be content, it's a no brainer if there looking to be reelected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You've gone from claims of a crime wave to a few people complaining they're afraid of asylum seekers without offering any justification.

One person stating they wouldn't walk near asylum seekers without a pair of rottweilers. Sounds like a lovely, well balanced chap.

People's opinions and prejudices aren't proof of anything.

• Advertisement

If I post from Gript, Liberal or Journal they are said all fabricated lies

I do not understand why some posters are asked for proof while others are not

Perhaps go down to Killarney and walk down Muckross Road to see for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Proof of what ? An opinion ?

You are being particularly persistent for somebody who cannot back up her own comments. As in above ...

" crimes ( plural,,) in Killarney ".." lots of articles " .

Eh ..no .

You have produced one of a Loolaa throwing stones , behind a paywall btw , and another of a row in an accommodation centre among the migrants themselves (!) in JANUARY .

Stop now with the repeatedly asking the same question over and over .

I am not biting the bait .

So it is fine for you to ask me for proof but when I ask you that is not allowed in regard to your post, be honest then and say in my opinion I think so and so is ………………………………….

These people are scamming the Irish public , taking benefits and disability yet well able to shout and wave placards up the mountains .

If I add a link to Gript, Liberal or Journal, you would claim lies

It is fine if you are pro immigration IPAs etc., and to give opinions but you should allow others also to provide opinions and proof links even if on the other side, you are well able to dish out asking for proof but you should also take it when asked back off you

https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/man-accused-of-throwing-rocks-at-people-in-killarney-appears-again-in-court-365287

Some articles might not come from the "typical msm" but they are out there

The top 2 and 3 are from safe countries but they can still stay and claim asylum, our system really is a joke

I have noticed lately more TDs are using the wording "economic migrants"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭REDBULL68

I work in a job ,that I meet alot of these lads ,and after speaking with them, the majority just want to work ,some are skilled, some want to learn skills, but under stupid laws their not allowed work,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Your anecdote seems to be more about you than it is about them. Nevertheless, fair play for employing people and creating jobs.

I could give you many an anecdote myself to demonstrate why there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, based on experience, that there are heaps of Ukrainians abusing temporary protection. I would love to know the amount who have received protection in both Ireland and in Canada, but I don't think those figures will ever be revealed.

Personally, I do not despise any nationality and it would be ignorant to suggest that I do because I'm pointing out abuses of temporary protection welfare.

I also don't buy into a simplistic "hardworking" versus "lazy scrounger" dichotomy. Ukrainians can be working hard while also claiming welfare payments that they should not be claiming and many who have claimed protection in both Canada and Ireland are, in general, normal decent people. However, this does not change the fact that there is a lot of abuse of the welfare systems set up for them.

The changes made to the system this year were pathetic - only reducing payments while in state accommodation and allowing the gravy train to resume thereafter. The payment reduction should be for all Ukrainians and we should have a major clampdown on those who are travelling overseas while in receipt of welfare here.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creeper1

I really resent this post.

Please note that it was at Saint Patrick's day and a holiday so people could quite easily be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creeper1

Who are "these lads"?

There are two systems - one is an employment visa were you submit documents, passport and qualifications if needed.

The other is an international protection route. It's for people fleeing war or persecution.

These lads need to get in line for the first process I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

Then they should apply for a work visa and go through the proper process. Instead of coming to a country, claiming persecution and hoping to get hand outs from the state in the form of accommodation and other services. Besides, it still doesn't change the fact, there is no space for them, yet they complain when they're put up in tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

So why don't they apply for a Visa?

International Protection isn't a VISA scheme, the fact many agree using it as this is a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The left often lets itself down with mad arguments.

Obviously a load of tourist accommodation being used for asylum seekers is going to have a negative impact on a town that relies on tourism spending. It’s childish to claim otherwise. It’s also classist in that the importance of the unskilled work available is not recognised.

And it’s the same arguing that asylum seekers, the majority of whom will have their claims rejected, should automatically be allowed work. That undermines the visa system, penalises those who follow rules and rewards those who break them.

It’s a pity some people’s devotion to ideology is greater than their devotion to common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I doubt anyone on the left is in favour of private hotels. It's pretty much the antithesis of left-wing thinking. Unfortunately decades of right-wing economic policies have stripped the state of its ability to perform basic tasks such as building homes for working people or simple large scale centres for asylum seekers.

I can't understand how some see the answer to these problems coming from a shift further to the right.

After that I don't know if it is fairer to be issuing visas when there's asylum seekers who need the work more. Regardless though, it's far more achievable to reduce visa migration and reduce pressure on housing and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah but we also have a lot of them who were already in other countries but high tailed it over here when they found out free accommodation, food and 200 quid in the back pocket was on offer.

Its no coincidence the numbers have dropped now that there is a lot less money on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Poland and Hungary talking of pulling the plug on the migration pact.

If it does come into force whatever spinless Government we have in power will no doubt baulk at implementing the more difficult parts of it like detention centres because they are afraid it will upset the libs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What was ?

That was a general post in the form and style common to many posters here on the anti side .

Totally unvouched for opinion and generalisation .

Something I would deeply resent too , so we agree, lol !

Look at al, the hundreds of post on this thread from many posters making the same sort of remarks about every person that claims asylum and Ukrainians as if they are ALL like that , vapid generalisation with nothing except a foul ill informed opinion.

I responded in kind to one who posted such a completely unverifiable post .

HiHilarious that people responding do not see that but not surprising .

I normally scroll on by these type of posts and am amused at those who are triggered by this obvious sarcasm .

Hit a nerve there methinks . ;)

• Advertisement

Another own goal by Helen and Roddy, complete failures in their departments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭combat14

McEntee warned deportations 'highly litigious' as injunction sees asylum seeker flown back to Dublin

only 1 and 4 deportations successful - what an absolute sick joke no wonder we are.housing.all.and sundry and not our own ................

perhaps mcentee and co. need to get the finger out - change the process, laws resolve matters and stop pussy footing about before the electorate elect someone else to properly do the job

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41374048.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's actually a very good article - telling us that deportations are legally complex, expensive and often countries at the other end refuse to play ball and accept deportees.

The document said so-called “voluntary return” seemed to be a more straightforward alternative and that assistance and resettlement grants were offered as “an enticement to engage with the process”. The briefing also provided figures on how deportation had been ramped up following Covid19. With a moratorium in place due to the pandemic, there were just 33 deportation orders signed and 38 carried out in 2021. By 2022, that rose to 528 signed and 118 actual removals, while in the first 10 months of last year, there were 713 orders signed off and 57 deportations carried out.

So we have to pay to entice to voluntary return, how can their home country refuse them, that surely has to have legal ramifications for them, what a disaster of a system

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All those countries mentioned are outside the EU and might not have agreements with EU countries to accept deportees. Deportation is a two way legal process and needs the cooperation of both countries. You can't just put someone on a plane with police officers and insist the other side accepts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

But you can get on a plane, destroy your passport, have no identity and a country has to accept you.

It's bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

This really is the point that the reams and reams of posts on here about deporting people routinely ignore.

Responses generally go about as far as "cut their development aid if they don't accept deportees" — which is obviously a really great way of engendering good sustainable deals with countries and absolutely wouldn't in any way ironically contribute to the very problems that cause people to leave those countries in the first place(!).

The worst of it is that there isn't really deep disagreement on the need to deport people. But somehow the acknowledgement that it's often hard to do seems to be akin to being ....oPeN bOrDeRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Actually we can - We are not tied to just constitutional referendum. The government could propose a referendum on anything they want via an ordinary referendum. The government would have to go through the process of getting the sign off of the president in order to do so.

One has never been called before though, for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

And who's carrying out the litigation - Irish taxpayer funded NGO's of course! Irish taxpayers suing themselves as usual and government pretending its aloof from the whole thing.

Instead of telling us the problem, McEntee should be outlining exactly what laws she's going to bring in to change that. Is there no end to that womans incompetence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement