Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat 23/24

Options
  • 28-05-2023 7:45pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well now that the dust is still settling on 22/23, time to look forward to 23/24.

76 days to GW1, August 12th.

Fixtures will be released on June 15th at 9am.

Transfer window opens on June 14th, closing September 1st, almost 3 weeks after GW1 - this has a lot of implications in the draft format.

Mid-season break in January, 13th - 20th.

GW38, May 19th.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Too soon?

Pochettino appointed as new Chelsea boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Any early guesses on Haaland's price - started at 11.5, finished at 12.4. (272 points)

After Salah's 303 points in 17/18, he was priced at 13 the following season.

Felt like there was more 'giving out' about Haaland ruining the game this year they might take into consideration.

I'll take a guess at 13.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Hopefully it is 13.0 or 13.5.

Have to take into account his record, ownership, nailedness and the team he plays for!

I'd guess it would be more 13.0 than 13.5 because mids score more than forwards so that was a factor in Salah's pricing.

I do hope it's higher as owning Haaland became boring this year. You would hope that it becomes a choice. Do I want Haaland + one other or do I want just Haaland?

£14m?

Henry(twice), RvP and Ronaldo all started a season at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Doesn’t really matter everyone will just start with him. For those complaining it’s boring you don’t need to buy him if you don’t want to -

most people complaining probably had a template team for most of the season, if anything it’s what makes a draft so good -

• Registered Users Posts: 32,829 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There’s definitely a price where he stops being value (obviously it’s relative to all the other player pricing too rather than just being an arbitrary figure now). Unfortunately there’s zero hope he gets priced there.

Of course I get that - but chances are most would still get him. For as great as Haaland was surpriseingly to me Kane was only 9 points behind him - how many are advocating for Kane to be 14m next season?

I think there’s an increased amount of people working off models (FPLReview the most popular), who would likely go without Haaland if a situation came around where a team without him in it was considered less optimal.

He would obviously remain insanely popular, but it would make things more interesting for there to be an actual decision to be made, rather than Haaland being autopick, and it almost being strategically wrong to go another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

It's not so much Haaland's price is the issue for me, it's that they don't chronically underprice the rest of the game like they did last season.

The pricing was bad to start with even before Arsenal became insane value immediately, and then Brighton blew everything up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Haaland won't be over 15.0 and at even at 15 you'd be mad not to go with him. He will almost certainly be the top scorer next season and you'll want him as captain 2 out of every 3 weeks.

As Markx says, if there's bargains all over the place then fitting in a highly priced Haaland is easy.

I don’t think I’d go with Haaland at 15 based on the pricing structures from the years before the one gone by which was overly generous.

But as mentioned by Mark it will depend on how affordable they make everyone else. If everyone else is priced like last season, where you could afford a team exclusively from top 6 key players, then yeah, you don’t have to sacrifice much to have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't the other prices were wrong as such - it was just that the teams who challenged ended up being the wrong teams.

The Arsenal attackers (Odegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Jesus) were priced fairly for a team who hadn't qualified for CL the previous season and were likely to be hovering around 7th place again. Ditto the Arsenal defenders. And obviously Brighton dramatically exceeded expectations as well.

The reverse side of this is the poor performance of Spurs, Liverpool and especially Chelsea, widely expected to be 3rd best and mounting a serious title challenge. The game setters would have expected us to be trying to continually shoe-horn in an expensive Chelsea midfielder and forward into our team. Once it became apparent we could ignore all of Chelsea (and highly priced Son, + Trent & Salah for large portions of the season) the game became easier. But I'm not sure this can be regarded as a mistake. e.g., if Forest end up being 4th next season we'll all have 3 Forest players who started at £5/6M but how can they know in advance.

There are always teams/players who you don’t expect to perform, and then do, who create value in doing so.

You expect that, but I felt that the prices were way too low from the get go which made that value created later even more pronounced.

The quality of the team we could afford by the end of the season became insane, and meant things were far more templatey than anyone is likely to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

Off the top of my head Martinelli, Jesus, Rashford, James were straight off the bat underpriced. Any sign of form you were asking for trouble with those guys. They had Bailey (despite whether you rate him or not) who was a somewhat likely starting wide forward at a top half club for 4.5 and Perriera a certain starter at number 10 for 4.5 too. So then you put on a couple of over-performing clubs which will always happen and it's all blown apart.

I started last season with 5 premium defenders and 2 premium attackers and Jesus. That's really easy pricing.

I think there is a lot of results based thinking going on here, at start of season there were lads raving over Chelsea players - James/Sterling for example - but between injures and no form - they drifted away - similarly to TAA, he didn't do a pile this season, and opinion moved away from him being a season keepers to his ownership falling through the roof, but might have picked up towards the end.

Son, Kdb, Salah, Vardy, Ronaldo, Darwin, Cancelo, Chilwell, James, Sterling - the list of high priced players who were popular at the start - how many of them were in teams towards the ends of the season. most of them were fit but likely not have been in any teams, bar Salah.

Looking ahead to next season - what do they price the Chelsea lads at - what do you think would be fair value to be placed on Sterling for instance - 8m? What about Son, his first poor season - are you saying 9m?

You see next season you could end up with Sterling Son in your team quiet cheaply and people saying they were underpriced this and that - but you had to price them somehow.

Arsenal were underpriced for a team who finsihed 5th the season previous, just missing out on 4th. They were priced like an 8th place team.

Even ignoring the attackers, Ben White was 4.5 while at Brighton and he moved to Arsenal last year after the game started so fair enough his value was already set. He started 32 games for Arsenal that season and then he was priced at 4.5 again this season. He should have been 5.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Perriera was a €4.5 MUFC midfielder unlikely to play much more than a bit-part, so I think the price was pretty fair. Just unfortunate really that he got his move to the ideal club/situation after the price was set. Jesus transferred City to Arsenal July 4th, so might be a similar situation. Not sure exactly when the game opened. But his price could have been set based on his irregular starts at his then club City.

Personally I think it would be reasonable for them to reset the price of such players after the move if there's more than a week left to the first deadline, but it does raise issues for those who've already selected him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wonder is there a chance TAA's price drops below 7m? Assuming Liverpool improve their midfield, I can see him having more attacking returns and clean sheets, so I'll likely get him regardless.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

I think he had 22 returns last year, excluding bonus, and ended up at a higher price than he started at. I don't think that they are grounds for a price decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

When does this Seasons final records etc get closed down?......Think it's usually in July?

Like to print off an odd GW's results before seeing where I went right or wrong:)

Finished Season with OR of 650k which I was happy with as had a very poor start, Was at 1.9m OR at Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Only two weeks from today until the 23/24 fixtures are announced. Have your Excel sheets ready! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Haha started mine tonight before I read this

😂

Postecoglou to manage Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

There's a website that does this I think. I'll try dig it out. But it would be up until the game goes down for maintenance ahead of launch

Edit www.livefpl.net/save

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone else thin West Ham assets could be good value next year - the likes of Bowen etc will surely drop in price and they could have a good season this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

It depends on price points but I get the impression they did under perform in the league the season just gone and have potential to do better next season. They have at times being very good at the counter attack so Bowen could run up some good scores if they find form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Thanks for sharing, I’ll be hitting the spreadsheet later 😂

I hate the staggered gw1. First week and last week all the games should start at 3pm.

Advertisement