Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Legits

Last long run today only 13k was going great till I got a mild niggle in my soleus did it before last year and was out for 2 months it seems to be very slight and only feel it when fully stretched but I am trying to now avoid stretching it. Have a physio appointment for tomorrow but may avoid running for the rest of the week now to let it heal. More than anything this marathon training feels like walking a tightrope of avoiding injury. I'm all set for next week other than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

It's worthwhile having a box/bag for your race day stuff. As the week progresses, drop your kit/fuel/whatever into it so as you're not having a last minute dash to be ready the night before. It'll give you time to buy stuff you're missing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

The last couple of weeks went average here, very tough mentally, really glad the training block is over, not sure if I could face another lsr, feel drained, legs heavy (doesn't help having small ones up at night and the like). Having a rub tomorrow hopefully that helps, not much excitement yet but that will come, could do with a clean eating week also, have been eating so much lately and have weight on since the start of the plan 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck all.

A week out, it's a time to go with it. Everyone who has ever done a marathon plan, whether their target is 2 hours or 6 hours has had setbacks. The runs in the final two weeks, depending on your wind-down schedule, are often difficult and uncomfortable. They should be - you are asking your body for a final adaptation that's based around reduced mileage. And your body is supposed to translate into a supreme effort in a matter of 10-14 days. And yet, for that well trained runner, that is what happens.

It's supposed to feel weird and unnatural. But trust it. The work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

WEEK 18 - THE FINAL COUNTDOWN 

Where on earth has the time gone!! Here we are, the final week. This time next week you will have run a marathon :-)

Just as with last week, just make sure to keep the paces appropriate - conserve that energy for Sunday! I see from Strava that many peoples easy pace is racing away with them as the legs start to recover and you come off the high mileage, just try and keep it in check as best you can. If you're worried about a niggle then rest might be your friend. Use this week to look back over your training to remind yourself of everything you've accomplished and to reassure yourself that you are as ready as you can be. Be confident in your preparation and get to the start line knowing you have sacrificed a lot for this race and are very well prepared.

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|2m easy|rest|rest|DCM 23

Boards|rest, cross or 2m rec|2m easy|1m easy, 3m pace, 1m easy|3m easy|rest|2m easy|DCM 23 

If you're injured, it's simple. Don't run. If you're very sick, don't run. If you're just a little bit sick or you wake up with a cold that morning, then readjust your goal a bit but you'll probably be fine.

Everyone should practice their marathon breakfast a few times this week and practice getting up at the same time you will on Sunday week and go through the pre-race routine before your runs. Get into a good routine of getting to bed earlier all week if possible.

Easy to say I know but try not to obsess about the weather this week. There is NOTHING you can do about it except for readjusting your goal a little if it's particularly bad. You've run in all the weathers at this stage so you know what to expect no matter the conditions. If you wake up on Sunday and it's very windy and rainy (which it won't be!) then you're not going to cancel doing the race so just take it as it comes and relax... It's in the hands of the weather gods!

Keep yourselves well hydrated but don't overdo it this week. I used to add the odd electrolyte tablet to my water the 2 days before the race last year.

You may have heard about the idea of carb loading before a race. It's true that we will try and top up our glycogen stores before Sunday, but that's not an excuse to eat all round you this week. A little extra in portion size should do it, with particular focus on simple carbs such as potatoes, rice or pasta. You don't need to stuff yourself the night before and wind up bloated, just a bit extra will do.

@ariana` produced a nice checklist a couple of years ago, so I'll re-use it now. Use the early part of the week to have all this organised, and avoid any last-minute hassle:

- Race outfit is clean and ready to go

- Any additional race kit - waist belt, sun visor, sunglasses etc.

- Body glide if you use it

- Throw away clothes to keep warm beforehand

- Race fuel & hydration

- Evening before meal (you may need to book a restaurant if you're staying in Dublin over-night?)

- Pre-race breakfast (if you're staying in a hotel you may want to check if they provide breakfast or bring your own - porridge pots are very handy for this)

- Pre-race snack (something to eat in the half hour before you start)

- Book bus/train if you're using it to get to Dublin on Saturday

- Check and double check public transport times if you're using it

- Cut your toe nails on Tuesday!

- Pin down arrangements for your supporters to see you on the course

Don't compare yourself to other runners. It's counterproductive and will do nothing for your confidence. You do you.

I'd like to wish you all the very best of luck this week and on Sunday. As we've said before, following this plan and the advice and guidance from the boards community here you are very well prepared for the day, on the start line re-assure yourself that you have put in the work, you have a plan and you are going to execute it well, have yourself a brilliant day and be proud of what you have done, you're part of a very select group in the world who will have run a marathon and after this 18 weeks of training and the big day itself you know why that is.

Also from me a big thank you to everyone here for making this such an enjoyable journey. I've really enjoyed coming to this thread every week and seeing all your updates, thank you for sharing and contributing, it's what makes this thread work year after year, without that it would simply be a plan on a page. A big shout out too to my fellow mentors @skyblue46 and @Kellygirl who have been working hard in the background guiding me and offering their experience to me and you all. And a final shout out to the lurkers of the thread, there are always a few who read along but aren't posters, including @Mrsjinx, best of luck to you all.

Best of luck with the final weeks training, hopefully we will see you in McGratton's for a well deserved drink or two😉 this time next week you will all be the proud owners of your very own DCM medal😊

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just back from the physio this morning and thankfully got good news, definitely something I was worried about over the weekend!

I was having some issue with my right foot for the last week or so, originally it seemed like it was just tired/fatigued but towards the end of last week it started to present as a dull pain on the sole of my heel. Dr Google led me to believe it was plantar fasciitis of some description.

PF related stretches were helping with with it, but I decided to see if I could get a physio appointment and was able to get one for first thing in the morning.

Physio said its either very mild PF or maybe even a precursor to PF as I had no additional pain during any of his prodding and stretching exercises, so I caught it early. Got a massage on my calf and shockwave treatment on my heel and he's given the all clear to even continue running during the week after hearing they were shorter runs.

Big weight off my chest! I knew I was able to run on it ok with very minimal discomfort so I was nearly afraid to go to the physio if he advised not to do the Marathon. Stupid logic I know, but I would have been very disappointed to not run it at this stage!

Legitimately thinking what I would tell someone here who presented the same scenario as me is what motivated me to actual go, so thanks for pressuring me into it, even though you didn't even know it was a thing :)

Did all my sessions last week, but I'm probably one of the people @MisterJinx is hinting at with the too fast. Never below MP or anything, but creeping towards it...

On Sunday for my cross training I did 30 mins stretches instead of a walk to rest my foot a bit more.

2 short runs and a shake out run left, I'm really looking forward to getting started and taking on the challenge of it!

I unfortunately won't be able to hang around after the Marathon as I've a party (not for me!) to go to back home that evening, so I almost certainly won't get to meet up with you guys after, but just want to say thanks to everyone for the last few months, the group has been great motivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

I'm one of the lurkers called out above as I've done 1 marathon previously(not DCM) but without training much and where I walked a lot so I didn't want to officially join but I've used the boards plan and been following the great advice all along so just wanted to post to say thanks and best of luck to everyone 👍️

The very best of luck to you, have a great day on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Don't go changing anything at this stage, other than slowing down. Too much stress on the lower limbs will not help with PF so slow down.

When you have fully recovered from DCM and if you plan on continuing running, then go visit this thread. There are a number of us that are working through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

I was just in run shop to get 10 Maurten gels. Your man says, dry as anything, "you gonna be taking them from Friday?" 😆

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

Good Luck all. Don’t forget warm clothes for after race. Even hat and gloves as you can get cold while changing out of your sweaty gear. Relax, “try” enjoy it and soak up the atmosphere. Don’t stress about your sleep. I did Dublin in 2017 about 30 hours after #2 was born. That was with a sprint to the hospital. So adrenaline is a wonderful thing for energy. Even had to pick the little fella up on the way home from the marathon from the coombe. Was only 8 minutes or so off my pb. Just pulled it back a bit and enjoyed the race. Lesson learned is even if you think you didn’t get you 8-10 hours sleep don’t worry about it as you’ll find the energy

Loving everyone jumping on with the supportive posts and great last minute advice. Keep it coming! 🥰🥰🥰

I bought socks today too, and the guy said to rub some vaseline onto toes and between toes before putting them on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yes please keep the tips and tricking coming in, I'm enjoying reading them!

Anyone else being completey wrapped in bubble wrap?! Husband is fussing over me like a mother hen! Went out on Sat night to meet a friend and put on a pair of heels to literally walk from the car 150m down the road to the pub to sit down and himself looks at me in surprise and practically holds my hand incase I fall! And today it started raining when I was home from work on my lunch break and even my boss texts to say if I need a lift back to the office in the rain. (I had a better idea and waited until the rain eased off 😁).

Good suggestion. I actually put a clear plastic storage box in the spare room last week and was dropping bits into it when things were coming into my head - my hat, gloves and hoody for the start, my body glide yesterday after using it before my run. I'm a divil for something coming into my head and then forgetting later so when I think of something I grab it and put it in the box.. I think I'll sit down tonight and write a list of everything needed for the day, I am a list person.

Club Plan: Track|rest|Track|rest|rest|10km

Actual: Track|rest|rest|8km|rest|6.5km|11km

Put in a good session at the track on Mon. Weds session I didn't go to as it was too wet and didn't want to risk it. Thurs was promised a nicer day so ran 5 miles in the early morning. An unplanned parkrun on Sat morn and made sure to take it easy, which was more difficult than it sounded! Then last long run on Sun of 10km, bit faster than I had planned on but the club plan did say tempo pace as opposed to easy and I did lose track of pace with all the chatting. All into the cafe for coffee after, a lovely get together.

34.5km ran this week. I had printed out my club training plan at the start of the summer and looking at it now, most of it is marked off....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Since ye are looking for useful tips for the coming weekend....@Mr. Guappa had a great one a couple years ago for those of you coming up and staying the night in Dublin on Saturday, bring your own pillow from home to give yourself every chance of a good nights sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭TheRef

I created a list last year as a sort of reminder for myself and added some stuff as I think about this year. Take from it what you will.

• Realise that whatever time you cross that finish line, you will get a PB. Congrats!
    • Enjoying the day lived with me longer than my finishing time. Start conservative. So what if you come in 10/15 mins behind your target? You’ve done something no one else can ever take away from you.
    • An enjoyable day will be better encouragement to do it again next year.
    • Everyone wants you to do well, so if you have any problems, forgot something, or just have a question, ask someone around you. Everyone will be buzzing with excitement. That goes for as much in the race as it does before it. 
    • Don't change anything the last week.
    • Wear something warm that you can discard at the start.
    • Double tie laces.
    • Smile. Half the battle is mental and having a positive attitude and outlook really does help.
    • It’s better to get into the starting pen too early than too late.
    • Be disciplined at the start - know your pace and stick to it. Watch as hoards of people run by you over the first km and smile to yourself knowing you will be passing many of them out later in the race. 
    • It fun to be passing people later in the race. Sorry.
    • Drop arms every few km and take some deep breaths to relax.
    • Every 5km, do a “body-check”. Start at the top of the head and ask yourself how are you feeling there, work your way down your body, checking shoulders, arms, hands, chest, stomach, hips, glutes, quads, knees, shins, ankles, feet. If there are any problems, ask yourself what you can do to reduce them.
    • If stones/gravel get in your shoes, or socks aren’t right, fix them straight away. The stone won’t work its way back out.
    • The early stages can be deceiving. What may seem easy in the first half will be a lot more difficult in the second. You will feel good on Chesterfield Ave, less so on Crumlin road, and probably not great on Clonskeagh road. Don’t worry - everyone around you probably feels the same (except for those lads who run around carrying speakers while chatting with their mates like its a stroll in the park). Have a laugh at how crazy it is to be running a marathon.
    • Watch out for other runners who will do stupid things. I was nearly taken out of it after 2km when someone decided to run across me to hug his family. Later on, some runners may slow to a walk in the middle of the road without consideration for what is behind them. But remember, most people are not thinking straight.
    • Thank those who turn up to cheer you on. Without them Dublin would not be what it is. High 5 the kids if you can.
    • Be careful taking jellies or fruit from spectators. While they mean well, if you are not used to eating jellies when running, the marathon isn’t the time to try it.
    • Refuel before you feel the need. Drink water before you feel the need.
    • Don’t litter. Put gel packets into pockets till next bin.
    • When running up Crumlin road, if there is a headwind, run behind someone/a group to make it a little easier. Let them do the hard work.
    • Roebuck road (heartbreak hill) is a really short hill. It’s as much a marketing gimmick so don’t fear it. Just be aware as you approach that while it bends around out of view, what you see is all there is. Go for it. 
    • Everyone can do with encouragement for the last 5k. Encourage other runners.
    • Don’t be surprised to see your lips turn blue at the end as your body will be diverting blood to the muscles.
    • Take a moment for yourself at the end to remember all the hard work you put in to get there. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear or ten. Take great pride in what you achieved.
    • At the end, eat the banana & drink the drinks. 
    • Keep moving as much as possible for the rest of the day. 
    • Park on Clyde road or surrounding areas when collecting your number. It's free and generally plentiful.
    • Must bring items: Shoes, socks, shorts, running belt, top, gels, number, pins, small bottle of water to sip on at start. Clothes to keep warm but throw away later. Anti chafe (vaseline and/or bodyglide), Tissues (only in case of need for toilets before start). Salt tabs, clear bag got at expo for bag drop. Warm hat, jacket, gloves for after.
    • Possible other items: Disposable poncho.
    • Finally, wear your medal for the rest of the day. And the day after.
    • Consider getting a medal display case for it. I got one from my wife last year and love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Great post @TheRef

+1 on littering. There are plenty of bins on route. Put your gel packs in them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

One of the guys at the run group advised not putting anything in your disposable tops pockets, which is exactly like something I would do 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Feeling like straight diggity dogsh1t, hope I ain't getting sick! Taper sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

@TheRef that was brilliant. From a first timer and non Dub (Clyde rd it is 👍) fantastic stuff in that 👍. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Are there any easy spots for watching for people who don’t know Dublin very well. My little gang will be up there and they’re not wired great for GPS (🤦‍♀️). They’ll probably just about make the finish line (I hope!), but are there any other easy to get to spots. They’ll probably be on foot. If not then no worries… it’ll be a long day on merrion road waiting for 🐌.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Depends how long you have and who you want to see. My support team aka wife and kids will see me off at the start and make their way to the halfway point which is a short cycle down the canal. Ot is also walkable.

From there they will stash the bikes and Luas to Milltown before coming back for the finish line near the schoolhouse. If you want to see the winners finish then cut out Milltown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Just want to pop on to wish you all the very best of luck on Sunday.Dublin is a very special marathon so enjoy it, all the hard work is done so trust your plan, the hardest part of doing a marathon is getting to the start line so you should all feel really proud of yourselves. My tip for carb loading would be as @MisterJinx said, just add a bit extra with each meal, keep it simple, coco pops were my best friend the week of Amsterdam marathon 😋 🤣 My one piece of advice would be to take it easy in tge 1st half, it's ok if you aren't spot on pace, plenty of time to make it up in the 2nd half once you are feeling good!

I am very excited for you all & can't wait to read all the reports afterwards! Go smash it💪😁

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

I think there was a discussion on this a while back but I'm debating whether to wear earphones or not and was wondering if there were any of the mentors or more experienced runners who do wear them for races as the consensus seemed to be you shouldn't?

I feel so dependent on podcasts & music distracting me during runs, I'm uneasy at the thought of not having something on the day. It also reads out pace to me every few mins which helps me settle into a pace and not look at the watch as much. Even if it was just in one ear so I could still soak up the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I think it would be an awful shame to wear earphones. I wear earphones whenever I run by myself. I couldn’t run without them. Never for a race though … Dublin especially, is so busy and I’ve always ended up having the odd chat with people long the way and you hear supporters calling out. There is so much to take in and I think you’d miss out on a lot with earphones. I think people would be less likely to have. Chat with you if you had earphones on too even if they were turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I've been lurking away for the last few months. I didnt formally join the group as I've done 7 of these long runs (3 Dublin) but its 11 years since my last. Running with my wife who is doing her 1st. Its great to read about everyone's journey and I am wishing you all the very best of luck on Sunday. Dublin is a special marathon. I look forward to all the stories next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Ah I’m raging I’m only finding this thread now, doing my first marathon next Sunday, and it would have been great to have people to discuss the journey with. (I had to find out the hard way that running in the rain is chafe-city-central 😅). Lots of great last minute advice here so thanks all for that - really looking forward to the expo and the big day!

• Advertisement

Advertisement