Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plantar Fasciopathy

Options
  • 21-03-2023 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

I thought this might be a useful thread for anyone who is suffering with Plantar Fasciopathy (commonly known as Plantar Fasciitis). I am 2 months in to my treatment of PF and have had varying success with a number of remedies which I will outline below. Though I am treating it for 2 months, I have been suffering with it for 3-4 months. It got to a point where I could get through easy runs just fine but sessions were very uncomfortable during/after. There are other people on here who have suffered with PF who can throw in their 2 cents as well. There doesn't appear to be a single route to fixing the issue and everyone's experience with it seems to be unique. The unpredictability of the issue as the pain has become more acute is the frustrating part for me now. I have had 2-4 day periods of zero pain only for it to come back with a vengeance after that.

Physical Therapy - This helped relieve the immediate discomfort. There was a lot of manipulating of the calf muscle (gastrocnemius and soleus) in addition to the foot itself. As the debilitating pain went away, I didn't get much relief when it become more acute.

Rolling - I utilised a combination of a spikey rubber ball and a sliotar to provide relief as I was sitting at my work desk at home... not sure I would get away with bare feet in an open plan office. Rolling with a frozen water bottle also helped. Great relief from these when suffering debilitating pain, not so much from acute pain.

Stretching - A combination of calf stretching (gastrocnemius and soleus) has provided relief all throughout my rehab. I've built up to a hold of 1 minute per each muscle (gastrocnemius and soleus) and I get instant relief from it. I would also perform the "big toe" stretch whilst sitting down and this continues to provide relief. Pull your big toe towards your shin and you should feel a stretch through the fascia/tendons on your foot.

Strassburg Sock - I picked this up fairly early in my rehab process. It helped a huge amount with debilitating pain. I never found it comfortable to wear during sleep but would wear it for hours on end whilst working from home or watching TV in the evening.

Strength Work - A lot of calf (gastrocnemius and soleus) and foot work. Some with body weight and some additional kettlebells for the calf raises. Never felt I was getting relief from this but it is building up the area for future exercise.

Orthotics - PT recommended an off the shelf set of these for me. Immediate pain relief. There was great arch support and extra cushioning on the heel. Where possible, I will use them in whatever shoe I am using.

Shoes - Bit of an odd one to put here but I have been wearing shoes for 99% of the time working my way through this rehab process. Barefoot was excruciating early in the process so I knocked it on the head completely. I had some new shoes which I was hoping to get running in so I have been using them as house shoes with the orthotic insert.

Shockwave Therapy - My PT recommended this to me and I was fortunate that there's a local clinic that performs it. It was a treatment that I started to use when the pain was more acute and unpredictable. I have had 4 sessions thus far and there was been steady progress from week to week. There tends to be sensitivity in the area for up to 48 hours after the treatment. Potentially 2 more sessions to go and after that it might be time for an MRI if there's no improvement.

If I think of any other treatments I have tried, I'll post below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Thanks for sharing. It's the most frustrating issue. I've had mine for about a year now, self diagnosed and located more in the heel to arch area.

I've tried pretty much everything but nothing has really solved my issue. Recently after runs I've been alternating bucket of ice with hot water bottle and it does give a little relief.

Sessions, long runs and football cause me the most issues aftewards.

I still ran 4 marathons with it last year and during the race it was fine but afterwards I'd be crippled.

Seeing a physio this Saturday with dry needling in mind.

I've also bought a stability shoe which I've started wearing this week, its like running in bricks, hate them but will persevere.

I recently missed 12 days of running, separate issue but hoped it would help, it didn't, next run back and same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Nothing like some dry needling to release the fascia.

Only way around it (for me) was pilates, weighted calf raises and running barefooted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I feel your pain, It really is such a frustrating injury. I know the feeling " will this ever go?" It will and you are doing the right things!

I was similar to you as in I knew I had it, but left it a few months until it became so dam annoying, I simply had to seek treatment. I tried pretty much everything you have so far. It seems unique to each individual how it will respond to different treatment, exercises etc. I'd imagine the longer you wait on these things to get treatment, the longer it takes to recover. It affected pretty much the first 5-6 months of that year for me. I generally have very tight calf muscles so calf raises is about the only stretch I do religiously. It tends to stem from the calves.

Two additional things that I would recommend and I believe helped me in the longer run(excuse the pun) anyway.

I got myself a pair of Oofos sandals that to this day I still wear pretty much all the time around the house(my PF was 2 years ago). I'm on my 2nd pair and will purchase a new one soon.

The extra cushioning on these, I find both really comfortable and prevents you from the initial tip toeing in the morning when you wake up. It gets your foot moving more naturally first thing. When i'm working from home, I will have them on all day for example. As soon as i'm back from a run, they go straight on.

The 2nd thing is already something you have looked at albeit, off the shelf. I ended up getting needle treatment at one stage and it was suggested to me with the lack of much of an arch, that I was an ideal candidate to get measured up for purpose built orthotics. I debated it for a bit with the cost element and also was initially a bit skeptical. I succumbed eventually and for me anyway, it made a difference. When initially getting back into running, all my runs I was using orthoditcs. I use them pretty much 90% of the time to this day for my standard causal trainers and shoes for walking. I'm now at the stage, that I only use them for running about 30/40% of the time. They took some time to get used too and had to find the right type of runner for them to fit and not to blister. The shoe box on the Asics seem to be roomy and never had blisters issues with them.

Good luck and hope you get some relief from it soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

So only yesterday I was looking at Crocs as an alternative to my indoor shoes. Any idea how they compare with Oofos? OH has a strong distaste for Crocs so that might sway my decision... Which way I'm not sure 😃 Sandals or clogs?

Ha, I can't compare with Crocs as I have never worn them- have to keep some street cred although in winter i do wear the oofos sandals with socks 😃. Those sandals I have recommended to a few people and only got positive feedback. They basically take the majority of impact off the fascia. Go down to elverys and try a pair on -u won't look back!

• Advertisement

Oofos arrived today. Like walking on clouds. Can feel the support in each foot. Delighted with the purchase. Thanks for the recommendation @Lambay island

Kinesiology Taping - Something I forgot to mention in my original post. I used this for a while when the pain was strong. I followed this video when taping it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvY4rcF1ZXU

I picked up a pair of Oofos runners a few weeks back. They've been great for outdoors. Only issue with them is the limited colours/designs they have on offer. Managed to pick up a grey pair from mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I picked a good week to start checking back in here. Think I've got this as well and have had for a couple of months.

I remember Lambay suffering with it on his log and it sounded nasty. I also remember thinking it might be down to shoe type or something but not so much now. I don't do heavy mileage myself but have been running fairly consistently this year (rarely move much around 30 MPW). I'm a mid to forefoot striker so calves get a decent workover when I'm running. After the trim 10 mile race my calves were stiff for 4 days (not exaggerating). The feet only started being sore maybe two months ago. On and off initially. But it's gotten more persistent in the last couple.

My Asics Metaracers are the only carbon plated shoes I have and I've found it worse after wearing them but them I'd only have worn them for fast efforts which are tougher on the calves anyway. Golf ball rolling has helped and I've started back barefoot running this week to see if it helps. I'm also trying to use the flattest runners I have as much as possible.

Also, like Wottle it's all fine once I'm up and running but need to be careful when I get up an walk around after sitting or lying down for a while. Maybe I should run more 😆

Ah crap... plenty of advice here anyway. Gd luck but just don't let it fester too long and get to a physio.

I have a love/hate relationship with these two guys but this video on how to start your day as a sufferer of PF is worth watching: https://youtu.be/75JvDlvGF_s

• Advertisement

Worth updating as I have been making good progress with the issue.

As mentioned earlier, I picked up a pair of the Oofos sandles and runners. The sandals get worn every day when at home and they go on my feet first thing in the morning without fail*. I have been weening myself off the requirement of the Oofos runners or the orthotics in my normal runners for the past few months. The heel does get tired/sore a little after long runs or sessions but the following morning it is back to the same as it was the previous morning, if not a little better.

Supplements - One of the 2019 DCM grads recommended a collagen supplement and I've been taking it for a few months now. "Solgar Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Complex" is the name of it. 1 tablet a day. As you research PF more and more, you see that there can be a collagen issue at the pain point in the heal which lead me to continue taking this.

Cooling gel/cream - A neighbour who is a nurse recommended "Forever Living Aloe MSM Gel Skin Care" for PF. I found it very useful when there's a lot of pain/discomfort, though less effective on the those days where the pain is acute.

Shoes - I changed the shoes I am wearing out on my runs to the Saucony Endorphin Speed/Pro. There is a nylon plate in the Speed and a carbon plate in the Pro. They have been great to get me out running and back training properly for the past 2-3 months. I have gone for the occasional run in non plated runners with the heel feeling tired/sore a bit more afterwards than compared with the plated shoes. It is something I will have to introduce slowly over time as financially it is not viable just to wear the plated shoes. I'll start to do this once my marathon block is completed and report back. One of the things that I have picked up on in my research is that wider shoes allow the foot/toes to splay more so I'm going to try out wider fitting shoes to see if that helps with things.

Socks - Not something I would have thought about but the "Feetures - Plantar Fasciitis Relief Ultra Light Cushion Sock" were recommended on here by another user and I have been wearing them since then. I can feel the heel support once I put them on. I am at stuck in the middle of two of their sizes so I opted for the larger size. This has allowed the toes more room to splay and feel "normal" as opposed to bunched together in there.

I'm about 7 months now treating the issue and it has been getting progressively better using all the methods above. This article was how I got back in to running originally having taken some time off to allow PF to settle. From there it was just a case of determing whether it was getting better or worse from how it felt the previous morning when I woke up. For the past month I have been doing little bits of barefoot walking throughout the day and building on the duration as I go. Yesterday was the first time felt comfortable putting bare feet on the floor when I woke up, even then the foot and calf/soleus felt a little tight until the muscles got more blood flowing to them.

A frustrating issue but I am making slow progress. Patience 100% required to get through it.

Nice progress indeed. Interesting and coincidentally, I found the Saucony Endorphin Speeds(previous version I'm sure) as my comeback runner too after PF after trying a few others less successfully.

Not much to update on my side. It was certainly worse a few months ago. Disappeared for a few days when I was on holidays and didn't run for around 3-4 days but the pain levels are moderate at worst now compared to what it was.

I didn't keep up the barefoot running as I didn't find it helped in the early days. Am kind of back to doing and wearing what I always have. However, I make sure to give my calves, achilles and feet good stretches whenever I think of it throughout the day. Didn't get Oofos but do wear cheaper but spongy flip flops around the house most days too. Basically it hasn't stopped me running but I do limp when walking sometimes.

Have managed to put a decent month and a half training in for one more 5k race next weekend before switching things up as XC season comes in.

I'm also now toying with doing 400m next year in a few races and training accordingly. This could result in lower mileage and hopefully there's no negative impact from the PF for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know anecdotes don't make great data, but two people I know of couldn't run without PF trouble until they switched to Brooks running shoes (the second one I know is using Brooks Launch GTS).

Never used Brooks myself but haven't had PF issues since I was in my late teens so haven't had a reason to try them.

I was 100% Brooks when I got PF. Saucony runners have helped since but I have slowly been integrating other shoes (Brooks/Mizuno) back in to the rotation.

It will also depend on what model. Something like the Hyperion won't have a lot of cushion whereas the Glycerins are like running on clouds.

Back with vengeance last night and today after XC yesterday. So the spikes are down my list of preferences. The pain is worth it today though as it was a great race 😁 I didn't do near enough stretching afterward which certainly didn't help.

Well done on the race - some effort..Nothing more certain that the spikes and uneven consistency of an XC will get at the PF or any weakness really. 🙂Hope it comes good again quick .

Ah cheers. I may get used to it for the next couple of months so. Going to try a run later.

I've made it a habit (99% of the time) that I will take a rest day after my midweek session and also after my weekend long run. It does mean "only" having a 5 day running week but it has kept things at bay for the most part. It might be something to consider going forward for sessions/LSR/races. I'll fit my S&C in on an easy run day.

Similar, I would have ran about 10 times a week, currently 6 with a full rest day Sunday.

This has allowed me to manage it and start marathon training but that old man pee in the middle of the night is no fun, as I'm dragging my foot and hobbling to the bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I tried physio and cutting down on running, running on grass, rolling a ball underfoot, self massage etc.

I found the only thing to stop it dead was complete running rest and just walking and cross training until it went.

I also have issues with the right calf which were pretty much chronic since 2012.

The past two years I stretch about two to three times a week.

This involves raising leg up to hip height and stretching forward to hold the foot or touching the toes for 30 seconds on each leg intermittently about 5 to 10 times.

Then stretching the lower back by bending forward from waist with a straight back x 5

Then 3 sets of 12 single leg deadlifts on each leg and touching toes in between sets whilst in standing position.

Thankfully I havnt had any calf issues or PF issues since i consistently stIck to this routine.

Can you remember how long you rested for the PF to disappear?

Back in February I was forced into 3 weeks off due to another medical issue. The PF improved when walking but when I started running again, it came back even worse than before, which led me to believe full rest doesn't work.

I keep the oofos beside the bed to combat that mid night struggle.

With regards to the topic of rest being sufficient to solve it, this podcast seems to suggest that loading the area can be good to build/heal it. My own experience would align with this as it has got progressively better as the months have gone on with mileage building up and S&C increasing too.

Yeah it took some time, at least 3 months. I used to try it out every week or so and it would still feel painful but eventually it got less so until I didnt notice it anymore. I personally think total rest is the only way to eliminate it completely and then keeping up a stretching routine after that.

Yeah, I dont know if its coincidental but I also wear Brooks these days. I wear the Brooks Adrenaline or Brooks Glycerin.

The both of those shoes are very cushioned and with a 12mm midsole drop for Adrenaline and a 10mm drop for Glycerin.

They are a very supportive shoe. I've also worn the Launch shoe which is fine as well but probably not quite as supportive as the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Isot10

I was plagued by PF for almost two years, especially in the mornings which is typical.

Stopped running completely for 3 months, made no difference so went back with a bit less mileage and could not really train for anything.

A specialist in Galway gave me 3 goes (over 6 weeks) with a massage gun on the heel, this relieved it somewhat.

It went when i started to do two things , I still dont know which one got rid of it and its now been two years.

the first is sea swimming through the winter , once the water temperatures dropped in oct /november the PF disappeared.

When is say swimming i mean two minutes full immersion , not more.

the second thing (which i started at the same time !) was a very particular stretch - i found a video on you tube which had it exactly but unfortunately cannot find it since.

however this video 7th video down ( dynamic calf wall stretch - scroll down to find it)

He is not doing it quite correct though - his left foot sole must remain flat on the ground (no movement at all) and as his right leg swings his left knee needs to bend in the complete opposite direction of the swinging , you may not get much movement on the knee to begin with as it can be quite tight

this causes a very targeted pull down the calf and across the planter.

reason i went to the trouble of putting it up was 3 people i showed this to got immediate major relieve or cure after 25 of these each morning.

Kitchen counter top is the best place to do it.

hope this helps someone as it a bitch of an injury and very hard to get out of sometimes.

Any chance you have searched your YouTube history for the video? Very interested in it. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/feed/history It may also show different videos on different devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Isot10

Sorry , it’s quiet a long time ago so not much chance of finding it , however, will be pm you shortly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement