Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ron DeSantis is "Corrupt as Hell" -- because "Why Not"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's a perfect opportunity - He gets to have a shot at the "Fake News Media" and gets to condemn Nazis.

But he won't take it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I honestly wonder about you at times. The whole article seems to debunk what you and others have just been claiming, yet still you post it as a gotcha? Why in the world would he have to denounce people who don't even support him? Actual Nazis and fascists have little to no time for the Trump's or the DeSantis's of the world, they loathe Republicans as much as Democrats.

“We’re not voting for the right wing! It’s the kike wing.”

It's truly amazing the level of hackery some will peddle all in the name of scoring points against their rivals.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

It’s a pretty soft “debunk,” even pro Trump Nazis could say **** Donald Trump into a camera for plausible deniability. However, in either case it presents the opportunity of the person clearly shown to have sympathies to Nazism (Ron DeSantis), an easy, easy way to try and distance themself.

I want Nazis to go away, that’s what I want.

• Advertisement

I want world peace, but I'm old enough to realize the naivety of it, and the same can be said for your statement.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What exactly does he "do" that is worthy of praise or positive feedback?

Is it banning books?

Is it illegally trafficking people to other States to cruelly score political points?

Is it his utterly pointless legal battles with Disney?

Is it his disastrous "immigration" policies that are hammering the Construction and Services industries in Florida?

Is it his petty and thinned skinned legally dubious firing of District Attorneys he doesn't like?

Is it his unconstitutional attempts at re-drawing the electoral boundaries to disenfranchise Black voters?

Ron De Santis is a charisma and personality free wish.com cheap knock-off of an already repugnant Donald Trump.

Being pre-disposed to Nazi talking points is but one of a laundry list of utterly disqualifying behaviours displayed by the busted flush that is Ron De Santis.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

What exactly does he "do" that is worthy of praise or positive feedback?

What? Where have I said he deserves anything as such? I'm not a fan of his and I never said I was.

Florida man strikes the raw nerve:

“You have allowed people to hunt people like me,” said the person asking the question, who the campaign is now characterizing as a “left-wing activist.”

“Oh that is nonsense! That is such nonsense!” exclaimed DeSantis, who then talked about crime statistics and policy before before moving on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Really like DeSantis but think it's a huge mistake running against Trump. Could see him beating Biden in a landslide if given the chance.

Here's another source for the video that shows the man speaking - and the crowd -- and the optics of being shooed out by a buncha white Republicans at a florida irish bar.

I love this man's Office energy on the far right of frame ^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Imagine there is a lot of pressure in the Desantis camp for the next debate. Seen one suggestion that Ron is in a similar position to Kennedy as regards the difference in polling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Think he might end up the Scott Walker of this campaign season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Walker comparison gets trotted out a lot but its pretty weak. Walker had dropped out by now and its likely DeSantis will contest the first few states and see how it goes. He has clearly made a big bet on winning Iowa considering how much he has touted his right wing social views and money he has invested in the state.

"“I don’t know his strategy,” Griffin said. “It’s not clear to me what voter base he is intending to appeal to.”"

Odd thing for Griffin to say, he is clearly trying to run to the right of Trump and appeal to social conservatives. Its obviously not working but when faced with Trump who is the default incumbent I don't think their any obvious way to beat someone who is so beloved by the base.

De Santis is at least trying to win, while the rest have barely tried, heck most seem to have an eye on the VP slot. Their is a reason Trump who has spent his time criticising RDS and to a lesser extent Christie and not the other also rans.

Its been a mess of a campaign for sure, clearly focused to much on niche online stuff and his inability to do retail politics is a killer, but he was doomed from day 1 anyway tbf.

Yeah the campaign is screwed but their was never a path for him so dissecting his strategies is a waste of time as best case scenario he would only be down 35 points instead of 40. Not exactly game changing stuff.

The Republican base love Trump and won't quit him so even if RDS had discovered charisma, toned down the culture war stuff and pivoted to the middle he was wasting his time. Haley and Scott are running bland donor friendly campaigns and are going absolutely nowhere.

Part of it is Vivek Ramaswamy unexpected rise. If you want some Trump esque policies but not the man, he partially fills the void.

At this stage, DeSantis should be pulling ahead rather than loosing ground. Scott, Halley and Ramaswamy are gaining. If he losses traction after the next debate, imagine donors with deep pockets will be looking elsewhere.

• Advertisement

DeSantis really has made an utter balls of it all - Mostly down to him being an utter arsehole but also because he is utterly devoid of any ideas and has zero personality.

Ramaswamy will never ever get picked - He's not a Christian and that's game over with the modern GOP base , no matter how hard he leans into the proto-Trump vibe.

Scott will also never get picked because a) He's black and b) He's not married , he's in his 50's and there are "questions" - Again both those things are no-no's with the current GOP Base.

Halley won't get picked because she is a woman , it's as simple as that.

DeSantis should have had the "If you can't have Trump, pick me" angle locked in , but the complete lack of anything remotely likeable about him (even among the frankly f*cking awful people that support the GOP today) has sunk him.

If Trump isn't the GOP nominee for whatever reason I expect the GOP to try to shoe-horn in someone like Youngkin instead of any of the current list.

As regards lacking charisma, it would seem to be a difficult obstacle. Suppose one could be low in personality and get a VP position. Then move onward towards POTUS. Worked somewhat for Bush Sr., while less so for Al Gore.

Vivek Ramaswamy strikes me as someone that's nearly gunning for a VP pick. Seems almost taken back at times by his success. Had confidence in spades, which some absolutely love.

The Scott bachelor aspect is one that could be tackled by "parachuting" in a girlfriend. Bonus points if she is already well known.

Haley would be a good foil for Biden in the general election. Expect a bit of momentum for her at some point. Think your reason why she won't be picked is unfortunately a realistic one.

Time will tell. Think Youngkin is happy enough in the current role. Still, he could be a dark horse.

Bush snr and Gore whilst fairly bland and uninspiring at least weren't actively unpleasant - DeSantis is though.

Youngkin won't go anywhere while Trump is still in the race , just as DeSantis should have stayed out.

However , IF Trump cannot run because he's in jail or blocked by the 14th amendment then I think Youngkin might make a move.

Halley won't get picked because she is a woman , it's as simple as that.

What nonsense. She's a no hoper because she's a Neo Con, who cares more about what America does abroad than at home, which doesn't sing to the majority of Republicans nowadays. It has nothing to do with being a woman.

She's is all those things and that's the reason some voters won't pick her , but even if she was a raging Christian Nationalist type she still wouldn't get the MAGA base to vote for her as a Presidential candidate , because she is a woman.

Exceptionally sad , but absolutely true.

They want what they perceive as a "Macho Alpha-Male" leader which she obviously can never be. The fact that they view Trump as that is a whole other level of stupid , but they at least can pretend he is.

The lets be charitable and call it "legal issues", that Trump faces are the great unknown. There's a sizeable chunk that would crawl over broken glass to vote for him. The constant court cases in the run up to the election will have an effect on others. As a candidate he seems to be making less appearances and scheduling less events. Which should also lose him some support.

On Desantis though, bet he is regretting not sitting things out till 2028.

The Primaries and the actual Election are very different things.

If Trump is eligible , he wins the GOP Primary no question - There are enough of the "crawl over broken glass" types to get that done with something to spare.

If he runs in the actual Election , then the only question is how many GOP House and Senate seats he drags down with him.

DeSantis was absolutely crazy to stand in this cycle , utter madness and hubris.

He's in his mid 40's , he should have sat it out and stayed relatively neutral and then depending on how 2024 went he could either have leaned into a Trump Presidency to be the next in line or offered himself as the youthful alternative "new direction" for a GOP re-build.

Now though , he has completely destroyed any hope of a political future for himself - He's out of Office in 2026 and hasn't a hope of winning a position elsewhere.

He won't even have anything of value bring to act as a party "grandee" or whatever nor does he have the personality to get himself a well paid TV gig.

He's done and it's all his egos fault.

That's a fair summation of the chap. He could have gone into the next contest as a two term Governor of one of the largest states in the Union. If not the front runner, then an extremely strong contender. Imagine he might end up suspending his campaign with single digit polling at some stage in the future.

Hubris is a hell of a thing.

Vivek is close to Jared btw. If you look at the Trump boosters online they adore him and praise him non stop. Its pretty obvious Vivek and trump are working together. I understand some will ask "why?" and its because its win-win for both. Vivek was a nobody before this campaign and now he is an absolute star in the MAGA world unfortunately and for Trump he has another poodle he will dance how he wants and yeah for anyone not paying attention Vivek has gone hard on RDS which he said was a reason he would run back in the day.

Regarding RDS unable to consolidate as clear 2nd fav, its pretty obvious really, lack of charisma and Trump and his minions have gone for his throat from day 1 and ignored everyone else .

Tim Scott is bland, but he is betting fav for VP in some places and that would be a good result for him. I do remember Booker parachuting Rosaria Dawson in as girlfriend for the 2020 primary, he bombed but at least he had some fun!

Haley got a small bump after the last debate, but she doesn't really have much of a base , she seems like Harris back in 2020 something the media want more than the voters.

Regarding Youngkin seems like fantasy to me, he has elections in his own state to worry about in November so can't do anything until then and he will have missed deadlines in many of the early states. He won't have a ground game and its very late to introduce himself to the GOP base at that stage.

• Advertisement

I don't see Youngkin actually running per se.

As long as Trump is in the game , he won't get involved.

However given the timing of the courts case etc. Trump could already have largely secured the nomination before the wheels come off for him.

Were he to be convicted in either the Documents case or the January 6th case then pretty much every State with a Blue legislature will apply the 14th amendment and the Supreme court would find it next to impossible to disagree making him utterly unviable as a candidate.

In that scenario , the GOP aren't going to go with one of the losers , they are going to parachute someone in at the convention as a negotiated candidate.

In that scenario I think they go for Youngkin - He might still turn them down given the toxicity that there would be among the GOP voter base but still think they'd try.

Advertisement