Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ron DeSantis is "Corrupt as Hell" -- because "Why Not"

Options

Comments

First of all, I reject almost all your claims -- and yet again, a total lack of nuance when it comes to what Prager believes.

But that's irrelevant to DeSantis who, we're told, has links to or agrees with Karlyn Boryshenko.

Unless that evidence surfaces, we can safely dispense with the allegation levelled against DeSantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

You seem to confuse your opinion as being a consensus on DeSantis, then you proceed to deride others for making up fiction and misrepresentations. The fight with Disney started long before his presidential candidacy so I would be careful about deriding others when you clearly are making misrepresentations and are oblivious to some very basic facts.

It would be enlightening if you could merely show a shred of evidence for your claims portraying DeSantis as a "Nazi dog whistler" instead of having contempt for this discuss by simply declaring it is "a consensus", which is complete nonsense.

It would be better for all if people could just state I disagree with X because of A, B and C, instead of trying to place people into categories that are highly subjective and achieve absolutely nothing. The word "Nazi" has become effectively meaningless as a result of continued, baseless accusations by people such as yourself. You might think it's a powerful claim, but it's not and it's naive to believe that others will accept your words when you offer not even a shred of evidence, only your musings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And certain versions of history act as propaganda, any Irish person should be aware of weird inaccurate historical slants for the famine. Even conservatives have been critical of their propaganda.

They have Dinesh D'Souza, a conspiracy theorist discussing whether fascism is left or right.

We have to assume that Prager, D’Souza and the rest of their crowd know this intuitively, inasmuch they give no indication of having ever read a word of Gentile’s thought, perhaps outside of a few phrases that they extracted from his Doctrine of Fascism. Their judgment also clashes with that of almost all scholars of Gentile’s work, from across the political spectrum, who view him, as I do in my study of fascism, as the most distinguished intellectual of the revolutionary right.

Historical analyses that actively misquote or just outright make up **** wouldn't make it into any reputable journal cause you need to actually back up your claims. Falling back on saying Prager is Jewish doesn't mean it's okay to push propagandists that lie about historical events.

I'm also confident Fredrick Douglass would never have said slavery was necessary for greatness..

So no, it's propaganda from the right and honestly an abuse of young minds. Also not only does it revise history, it engages in climate change denial and likens such activists to Nazis... I know you likely agree with that but in most people's worlds, this is insane rhetoric.

Prager himself engages in bizarre revisionism of history. Eg gay people did not become pariahs during AIDS crisis. (This is likely where you'll exclaim "as a gay man")

Notably, the kinds of places that like Prager's rhetoric are regimes reliant on propaganda. Eg Hungary.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He's a horrible scum-bag , the fact that he might like puppies is irrelevant.

Some beliefs/viewpoint are utterly disqualifying, your ability to compartmentalise and ignore horrible behaviours to isolate elements that align with your beliefs is not something I share (and I'm glad of it)

DeSantis has given PragerU the keys to the Florida Education system and their "curriculum" is full of lies and hateful content. Denis Prager is not an "educator" , he trades in indoctrination.

That is entirely on DeSantis and he should be pilloried for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Where did I say the fight with Disney started during his presidential candidacy??? DeSantis obviously had the ambition to run for President, or he wouldn't have corruptly abused his office to change the rules so that he could run for president while being governor. He's corrupt as hell too.

How does it make political sense for a governor of Florida with presidential ambitions to pick a fight with his state's largest employer and popular national icon Disney?

Or a governor of Florida full stop?

The evidence for DeSantis being a Nazi and fascist dog whistler is already listed and discussed on this thread. I referenced the consensus on this thread. It is not merely my opinion as it proven by the number of such posts made by me and multiple other posters.

Therefore, it is entirely valid for me to reference it in the way I did. Yet you jumped in with comments about "being ignorant of basic facts" and "deriding others" when you are ignorant of the thread content. You also seem to be ignorant of public comment criticising DeSantis for his responses to ostensible Neo Nazi support for him.

The Miami Herald delivered a blistering rebuke of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday, slamming the potential GOP 2024 hopeful over his failure to outright condemn neo-Nazi demonstrations in Orlando over the weekend.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/miami-herald-shreds-florida-gop-075347862.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmllLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJcplSvdueD0K-K_KVfyV91jX7PDlQU2yrKJAj83oJKiwOI2jLfKcSbUixnEVFLEYlF9tTb3W3LP7-mdQvUyGQFmNrO-0-75iX4LDBOkfgcTSKtIbR-Dc-h_nWGEcjQ-p11vGB-VgFLZuB7KR1JTOcoeQ-xHxNLQNAMqCzbYgF4b

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ideas aren't falsified because the exponent of the idea was sent to jail. Galileo was persecuted and spent his life under house arrest, but his idea was right.

What you are doing is the classic Ad hominem; trying to dismiss an argument or idea based on attacking the person who made the argument.

It's widely considered among the feeblest and weakest forms of argument.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There you have it everyone.

Dinesh D'Souza isn't just a liar , fraud and convicted Felon , he's the Galileo or our time..

D'Souza wasn't convicted for his "opinions" he was convicted for making fraudulent campaign contributions by pretending to be other people.

Also , his wife accused him of beating her up , so there's that too.

Again - Some activities are absolutely disqualifying , but not for you it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, the Trumpsters are now comparing their crap imitation of Joseph Goebbels to Galileo.

DeSantis is nothing. I thought he could have been someone dangerous but he's just another intellectual dullard who struggles to do anything but hysterically wail about woke and push a fascist agenda. Badly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You do realise I just linked to a conservative historian saying his claims in the video were nonsense? And yes, conspiracy theorists teaching history doesn't tend to be a great match. Has D'Souza gone through any peer review process? Are there any relevant historical articles that back up his claim that Giovanni Gentile was left wing? A quick Google of the claim and the only places pushing it are the likes of Conservapedia.

So why should we treat somebody making up things as legitimate historical analyses? Any historians are supposed to backup their claims.... You treat people who make up stuff as serious historians? D'Souza isn't Galileo, he's a grifter and conspiracy theorist.

Interesting that you outright ignored my post which pointed to the shite that they post as history.... It's up there with the pink swastika in terms of accuracy.

• Advertisement

There is no evidence of anything on this thread, just opinions. The use of the word consensus implies that an opinion is accepted by the majority, you cannot use that word to claim evidence. You claim I'm ignorant yet simultaneously claim opinions as evidence.

Similarly, the article you have offered to further this claim is an account of how DeSantis called the attendees at the rally 'jackasses' but didn't outright condemn the rally, in the writers opinion. This, again, is evidence of nothing and you have failed to prove that he is a "nazi dog whistler". You have also demonstrated that you have no idea what dog whistling is.

I cited both the evidence provided on the thread, and the reaction to that evidence as establishing the consensus on the thread. Your posts clearly demonstrate basic ignorance of the content of this thread.

By not disassociating himself from the protest, the 'dog whistle' is that DeSantis seems happy for Nazi protestors to do his dirty work protesting Disney, protesting in his name, in a cause he champions.

The evidence for his corruption is also on the thread - abuse of office to allow him to run for president, abuse of PAC funds, abuse of Florida state assets to further his presidential campaign.

So there we have it, Ron DeSantis corrupt Nazi dog whistler.

But the general opinion on DeSantis is accepted by the majority.

A majority of the GOP think he's a twat and don't want him as their candidate for President and an overwhelming majority of everybody else definitely think he's a twat and don't want him involved in anything at all.

The reasons for that belief in his "twat-ness" are varied , reasons which include (but are by no means limited to)

• His "Nazi-adjacent" behaviours and actions
    • His utter lack of anything approaching a personality
    • His ridiculous "Anti-woke" crusade that is damaging the Floriday economy.
    • His corruption in firing people because he doesn't agree with them.
    • His "absentee land-lord" behaviours as Florida Governor now that he is a full time Presidential candidate.

Where is your evidence that your opinion is an accepted consensus? "Nazi-Adjacent behaviors and actions", again just more words, no attempt to qualify that with an example. What evidence is there that he is damaging the Florida economy? GDP growth in the US is 2% with Florida at 3.5%. It's very easy to make claims without having to put in the effort of proving said claims. There is a lot of accusations, loaded terms and conjecture attempting to dress opinion as fact.

The absentee landlord claim is just evidence of your bias. The only recent presidents who weren't in an elected office while campaigning for president were Donald Trump and Ronald Reagan.

Could you also elaborate what is ridiculous about his "Anti-woke" crusade? Is it the banning the discussion of sexuality to children under 9? Is it the ban on CRT?

I can accept that many people don't like DeSantis but claiming a consensus that he is a "Nazi dog whistler" is a completely different matter and I would strongly suspect that the assertion is incorrect.

Ok, now it's very clear that you do not know what dog whistling is. Using words you do not understand to make allegations about someone has the complete opposite effect.

There is not a shred of evidence in this thread corroborating your statement that Ron DeSantis is a Nazi dog whistler and that it is an accepted consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’m shocked SHOCKED you like Ben Shapiro.

So if you care about truth, and oppose distortion and misrepresentation why defend PragerU? Be specific.

Only you are dispensing with anything. Personal incredulity isn’t a “we” dispensation.

And you're still making it very clear you are ignorant of the content of the thread where the evidence was cited and discussed multiple times and the consensus of that discussion. The thread is full of posts, by multiple different posters, on DeSantis's Nazi dog whistling, fascist like behaviour and problematic racist agenda in education.

By not disassociating himself from the protest, the 'dog whistle' is that DeSantis seems happy for Nazi protestors to do his dirty work protesting Disney, protesting in his name, in a cause he champions.

It seems reasonable to me to describe that as dog whistling. One might even quibble it is not dog whistling because it is so overt!

What is stirring the pot of anti-semitism if not dog whistling to anti-semites?

Why are so many publications querying DeSantis's reluctance to distance himself from his Nazi supporters?

I never said that there was consensus on any one of the myriad number of reasons why Ron DeSantis will never be President , just that there IS consensus that he won't ever get within an asses roar of the job he so obviously craves.

There are a multitude of reasons not to like Ron DeSantis and I provided a small list of the reason why some people might not like him.

For Clarity what I have said is that

• SOME People don't like him because of his "Nazi-adjacent" behaviours and actions.
    • SOME People don't like him because of his utter lack of anything approaching a personality.
    • SOME People don't like him because of his ridiculous "Anti-woke" crusade that is damaging the Florida economy.
    • SOME People don't like him because of his corruption in firing people because he doesn't agree with them.
    • SOME People don't like him because of his "absentee land-lord" behaviours as Florida Governor now that he is a full time Presidential candidate.

The collective impact of all of that is that he hasn't a snowballs chance in hell of winning the GOP Presidential nomination and he is term limited from running for Florida Governor again when he current term ends in 2026.

Rick Scott will be running for a new 6 year term in 2024 and Rubio isn't up again until 2028 so it is likely that DeSantis will simply fade away when he steps down as Governor unless he wants to run for Congress again.

He's a busted flush , simple as that.

• Advertisement

Nazi adjacent behaviors shown all throughout the thread if you had bothered to read it. DeSantis sure is slow to condemn Nazis carrying out his political agenda such as at Disney.

Lots of evidence he is damaging the state economy, a lot of “woke” ie. College-educated professionals are fleeing the state they are not wanted in.

that GDP you cite is also tied to the highest of state inflation rates

The absentee landlord claim isn’t evidence of a bias it’s evidence of a fact. Florida has had disasters while it’s governor was off campaigning, even dragging the states emergency response team off with him for optics to Vermont.

if anything Florida is biased to absentee landlords. Until Ron and the GOP carved out an exception for him personally, it was against state law for the governor or any other elected official to seek a higher office without resigning.

‘banning discussing sex of children under 9’ well yes that’s an example of being knee jerk anti woke. Unfortunately 9,8,7,6,5,4 year olds, etc. are too often the targets of sexual predators, we owe them the education enough to know if they are being sexually assaulted and not being played Doctor with. I’ve shared news stories previously in other threads where sexual predators were caught and arrested because a child was exposed to an age appropriate sex education book and showed it to their parents saying ‘that’s what my uncle does to me’ etc.

As for the CRT ban it reveals its agenda when Frederick Douglas and Christopher Columbus cartoons show up to try and whitewash slavery.

You suspect all you want I just suspect you haven’t been caught up yet.

New York Times reports a DeSantis PAC which has published on their website campaign strategy material for the benefit of DeSantis.

PACs are not legally allowed to directly coordinate with candidates so I guess hosting their notes and memos on a website is their idea of the best alternative without crossing the line (which to be fair, is remarkably thin thick, as Stephen Colbert once did publicity stunts to highlight in 2012).

https://axiomstrategies.com/news/

^ that's the link.

eg.

Mediaite highlights the PAC thinks he should be defending Trump at the debate, etc.

Your standpoint appears rooted in emotional reasoning, and I'll respond as follows. The initial Wesh article you referenced is regrettably not accessible in Ireland, perhaps, considering this is an Irish website, a more considerate approach towards the audience's reach might be wise. The second article you've sourced from the aptly named LBGQT Nation seems to come across as a crude jest aimed at the reader. The core premise of the entire article revolves around the vacancy of 36 teaching positions at a college, a notion that might sound alarming when viewed in isolation. However, upon delving slightly deeper, this very issue is a prevalent concern throughout the United States. California is the state with the most severe teacher shortages in the nation. Surprisingly, Florida doesn't even rank within the top 10 states with such shortages. It seems somewhat paradoxical that you're attempting to utilise data to reinforce your argument, yet you appear to have neglected the rudimentary research that substantiates your point, all the while asserting that others are lagging behind. This challenge in keeping pace must indeed be demanding, particularly when the sources you cite appear devoid of context. The article offers no such justification for its headline or by-line, which you clearly haven't delved beyond. Is Newsom exhibiting "Nazi adjacent behaviour" by your train of thought?

Furthermore, you've accused me of ignorance in a rather incautious manner. Yet, your opposition to the "Don't Say Gay" bill seems to be based on concerns of potential predators. Have you thoroughly examined the bill or even reviewed a concise summary of its contents? It appears unlikely. The "Don't Say Gay" measure seemingly proscribes discussions related to sexual orientation and gender identity. Your "gotcha" retort comes across as notably juvenile, given your apparent lack of comprehensive grasp on the topics at hand. It doesn't prevent teachers telling kids about inappropriate behaviour.

Your standpoint appears rooted in emotional reasoning, and I'll respond as follows. 

Self-discrediting but alright, I supplied evidence, I used evidence based reasoning.

The initial Wesh article you referenced is regrettably not accessible in Ireland, perhaps, considering this is an Irish website, a more considerate approach towards the audience's reach might be wise. 

http://www.nordvpn.com

WESH reports saliently, "According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the country will have a shortage of more than 5,000 OBGYN physicians by 2030, and the problem is expected to worsen over time."

They cite a contrarian, a doctor with AdventHealth, to say no it's nothing to do with politics, but we know from multiple other sources that is not entirely true, but pop increase is also a factor, they argue and it is natural to agree it factors in.

"One of the reasons we have a shortage is we are not training enough younger doctors who are taking the place of older doctors who are retiring and all of the people moving to our communities,” Hill said.

California and Gavin Newsom are not focuses of this thread.

Your "gotcha" retort comes across as notably juvenile, given your apparent lack of comprehensive grasp on the topics at hand. It doesn't prevent teachers telling kids about inappropriate behaviour.

To quote: "Your standpoint appears rooted in emotional reasoning"

Straight out of the authoritarian campaign playbook, look at me I'm a big strong man who needs laws just start spilling blood and look hard about it

DeSantis: I'll leave drug smugglers 'stone cold dead at the border'

Someone should remind that implies he would suspend the habeas corpus rights of incriminated US citizens.

He can't even talk to a reporter without looking like he fantasizes about shooting them stone cold dead tbh. He's very unhinged. Even his response to this line of questioning is in terms of gun violence:

Meanwhile the part in the question about reading things, etc.? Yeah I didn't read that, I don't read things I didn't write attitude, etc. who has time to read when there's shooting to get hard about.

Christopher Christ Christie no longer just worrying about kamikazee-ing Trump's campaign.

He's getting the saucepan ready for Meatball Ron.

Former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie paused his attacks on Donald Trump to take a shot at Florida Governor Ron DeSantis while campaigning in the Sunshine State on Friday.

Speaking to a crowd in South Florida, Christie seized upon DeSantis’ response to a high school student’s question about his thoughts on the Capitol riot and Trump’s false claims about election fraud that led to it.

There's a 30 second clip in the link, dunno how to embed it here.

If DeSantis got rid of race in the classrooms it’s strange they are singling out the black kids for remedial school assemblies

• Advertisement
Advertisement