Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2023/2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cloud7901

Anybody know if failing the interviews is as common as failing stage 1 , I’ve read that stage 1 is the hardest and with the highest failure rate what about stage 2 is it really common to fail ? Also anybody that did the interviews last year and passed , how difficult was it for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Grace259

Anyone know if you can defer your start date if successful in all sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keevs23

Yes I’ve heard you can defer but you can only do this once I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jcoyne22

How is everyone for the written assessment starting Sunday ?

When everyone was testing webcam did they just click out off it again when it said successful? I forgot to verify until there now 🤦‍♀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 roisinoharaa

Anyone have a look at the familiarization material ? I had a look there it seemed handy enough. Just seems to make sure you’re up to date with Garda code of ethics and knowing the role of a guard and its more tailored to “what would you do” like your judgement. And like seeing what sort of person you are and if you’re fit for the role and you’re understanding of it. I think we’ll all fly it. I was debating buying the written practice course from Garda IP I used them last year for my interview but I defo don’t have hundreds to be horsing out this year… I was going to go off my examples from last year and use the STARR approach. Although he’s definitely Good if your really unsure. Id like to say it’s fail proof by going to them. But €300 is mental for an hour 🤣 but worth it if you’re passionate about the role but at end of the day If you’re well informed and a good honest person and understand the competencies you’ll be grand 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 32 puntcuncher

Guys I have a huge problem. I can't verify my ID because I'm not in the country and have no access to a computer by tomorrow, and I can't do it on my phone!

Please say someone has a suggestion!

If it’s due to the fact that you’re in another country try investing in a VPN and change your location to Ireland that should do the trick. Also if you are trying to do it on your phone go the settings of the browser and change it to the desktop website

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mogoose10

That ID verification flips the photo around, recoiled in horror at how asymmetrical my face was 😳😂

Thankfully I was able to get hold of a laptop and do it! My ID say approved now, but the "test your webcam" hasn't changed even though I went in to it and it approved it? " is this OK?

• Advertisement

Thanks so much man, was absolutely bricking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Irishguy215702

just a few things for applicants to consider when applying for the job and need to go into it with eyes open:

Pension: many people join thinking the pension is great. we get fed this from our parents who are basing it on their era from their age. anyone joining post 2013 the pension is disgraceful. you will get about 215-230 euro a week when you reture at 60, which is in line with the old age pension which everyone in none state jobs get. when you join a station you will quickly be told of this and advised to pay into your own AVC to supplement your poor pension. this fact is kept very quiet as it no doubt will affect peoples thinking when applying for this job and correctly so. the lump sum payment at retirement has also been slashed since 2013. nobody realises this and isnt publicised about in the media nor will you find it marketed by them as a reason to join as it doesnt exist anymore. people are walking in blind thinking great pension setting me up for life

work life balance - won't be able to plan things for your days off due to required court appearances/ taking calls on work on days off also and also if you are sent to a call at the end of your last shift and arrest you have to work on into your day off to tie it up.

Rosters: as you may have read rosters are under discussion. despite the current one proposed being rejected by the union for non core units to be working 78 days extra a year working 7 days on, 2 days off, 7 days on 3 days off on 9 to 5 hrs, and lose thousands due to not working to non social hours. this new roster is still going live despite rejection from the people it affects most resulting in extra childcare fees due to working more days, fuel costs for travelling to work more often. management have power to do this without consent which is shocking in the day and age of work life balance and 4 day weeks being considered by private sector employers now.

Work: I appreciate many have wanted to do this since childhood and want it desperately for whatever is their reasons. if its for the day to day work then be prepared that it is all paper work orientated. everything is reports, duplication and beurocracy which snows everyone under. helping decent people is actually rare who for the majority will rarely come into contact with them in their lives but to get passports sorted etc. you will mainly be refereeing domestics with people who call you to get one over on an ex partner due to child custody or if its current partners they will later withdraw complaints but for it to start again further down the line, mental health persons which you are not trained to deal with, frauds which you will be beating your head off a wall trying to progress but cant due to banks delaying you and outside of this any other crimes tend to be between one low life against another one or wrestling with drunk lads on cold rainy nights out facing being attacked urself.

morale is rock bottom in the job, people are resigning in their droves as they see the realities and the work load expected of them, the day of staying in the job until retirement is in the past now which used to be the case for sure. i know many will view this as overly negative summary of the job so what i would advise is before following through with it talk to others you know in the job and hear what they have to say first. i dont know anyone in it that would recommend it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seskintony

Hey guys! Stage 2 tomorrow. What's everyone doing to prepare for it and would anyone have any advice on how to tackle it .I bought the gardaip course but it's just scenarios on different topics .I was just thinking about 300 words in 30 mins is fairly aggressive on something we can't study for

That’s a lot to take in for sure , it seems like they’re destroying the force with all this nonsense and although I can’t confirm what you are saying is true at the same time it’s not something out of the ordinary at all to be coming out of the Gardai , that being said maybe when they realise the country is going to **** because there’s hardly a police force then maybe change will arise from it , whenever that is. Tbh the only reasoning I’ve applied is because I genuinely don’t know what to do with my future graduating out of Uni anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lmf91

Did everybody receive a message from public jobs with a practice example of the written exam?

Post edited by lmf91 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seskintony

Bricking it 🤣🤣

Anyone know if you can to stage 2 on a different laptop to which you completed your verification on?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrdeanj

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Liverpool !!

Anyone do the exam yet and have any info please ?

• Advertisement

Anyone else unable to access the link? It keeps saying error when I try accessing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ste91

It worked fine for me earlier.

Are u using the correct link? I think there is a support email in the message.

Yeah I used the one from the first message about stage 2 let’s me put in passcode then says error! I’ll email them and see what they say hopefully it’s sorted on time 🤦‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 14 19thhole

How did you find it @Ste91

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nishuilleilis

It’s fairly straight forward the video played for me for the whole time writing kind of impossible to miss key info I know someone who’s video stopped playing after 3 times that didn’t happen for me. They do dock marks for incorrect spelling wrong times etc

Was this from last years exam as I just done it there and had no videos !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jimmy.james

That was last year's stage 2. This year is completely different. It's not the written report. Is the camera on you the whole time in the new stage 2 or is it just at the start the same way stage 1 took a 29 sec video then uploaded?

Ya it’s on you for the whole 30 mins !

What exactly was it, or what you had to do if you don't mind me asking? Or any advice? I'm procrastinating 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ShaunaDev1234

Guys anyone do the written part of stage 2 yet? Any advice? I'm currently here nearly pulling the hair out studying/procrastinating at the thoughts of it. Currently in the 1800s OOM also so I'd reckon the interviews going on the 454mark I'll be the 4th interview crowd, anyone else around that OOM? Hope ye got on well whoever has done the written part 🤞🏼😅

Advertisement