Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2023/2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gesse

Do you know how many applicants they will call for the interview?

For Last year campaign they were lookin for 600/800 Gardai

this year is 1k so I’d say that the people with oom around 2000s will be called?

Does anyone know how it works!?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keevs23

Also has anyone any idea if it’s on a Saturday only your called for the physical? And is it still 4 days on 4 days off?

I’m 845 so I’d say anyone that’s over the 500 mark could be waiting a while so 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mogoose10

They were still interviewing people from the previous campaign when I looked at last year's thread a few weeks ago. I think once you have passed stage one you will be interviewed at some stage although it may not be until early 2024 but could be earlier they were very quick at getting through interviews when I applied before. The process takes a very long time so stressing about the amount of time it's taking and when you are going to get called for stages, especially with a high OOM doesn't do any good, they'll get to you eventually. OOM isn't the be-all and end-all. It means you get to interview quicker but someone with a OOM of 500 may have a quicker vetting and faster meeting and sign-off from sergeant than someone with OOM in 20's. Bearing in mind also that some people defer their place, people fail fitness, and medicals and end up just being deemed unsuitable (sometimes just being left with no further development after all stages until they give up and move on or re-apply) and some people decide that they actually don't want it.

Yes 4 on and 4 off is still the roster at the moment. I think they might be looking to change it back to 6 on and 2 off. The 4 on and 4 off was a covid measure.

When you applied before did you do any pre work for the interview? Surely the 4 on 4 of would sort the majority of people who have families and also who don’t have families! The €184 a week will be the struggle I think for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Grace259

It said in the email with your OOM they're only taking up to 454 to interviews initially

I think there are talks about rostering happening at the moment and some coverage about it in the news. Members I've spoken to about the shifts prefer the 4 on 4 off. So maybe they will be allowed to vote or dispute changes.

I did a course for the interview last time and have been recommended to do a course by friends who are in the force. I didn't give enough time between my meeting for preparation and the interview last time.

Caused a lot of nerves and fumbling on the day because I was trying to remember material that we had just created 24 hours before the interview 🥴 and everything got jumbled up.

Even though I have been told to do a course, part of me is reluctant to fork out so much money again. I didn't get any prep course for stage one this time, and I got an OOM in the 20s. The last time I did a prep course and put the time into doing the practice tests, and I got an OOM in mid 400s.

If the written exercise is for the competencies then the likelihood is that you will have to come up with them yourself or try to squeeze in an expensive session on a prep course or one on one to help with the form and then another session to prep for the interview itself. I'm going to look at the competencies when we get them and try to get my examples, use the STAR technique and draw up questions they might ask, and then decide what I want to do. Not everyone has money for prep courses, especially the more expensive interview prep. I think there can be a lot of pressure to feel like everyone is doing them, and you will fail if you don't.

I don't think everyone who is a member did an interview prep course. If you feel totally at a loss and you've googled and researched competency interviews and cannot get your head around how you've shown you are competent in what they want, then I'd say do it as early as possible, give yourself plenty of time to learn it all.

Post edited by mogoose10 on

They will have broken it up, and if you look at the scoring information on the link in the email, they will show the top, middle, and lower end of scoring. They move through these consecutively hence why the top bracket is called 'initially'. I was called for interview last time I applied in June with an OOM of mid 400 towards end of first batch for interviews, by August/early September they were well into 600's. Has been the same every year. There could be more people in the middle and lower batches than the first highest-scoring batch with more people scoring similar or the same marks, some people even have the same OOM. They do appear to offer an interview to everyone who passes stage one (and previously stage 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cloud7901

I don’t think I’ll be doing such an expensive course for Mine , they seem like a robbery to me. Assuming the written exercise thing will be the main focus of the interview then I’d say I will just be honest writing it and prepare to answer any questions regarding my answers in further detail. Much better than paying hundreds on a course that will feed you too much to the point you jumble things up in your head the day of the interview imo.

Just make sure you look up the structure for competency interview answers. Look at STAR answering technique and be prepared for how they will ask you about the competency. It can be difficult to match the competency to the question they ask. Need to do research myself, but Im sure there are YouTube videos and articles about competency interviews. At least if you plan the competencies early, you can decide to do a prep course of you really feel like you would get benefit from them. I don't see myself paying for one this time. I'll prepare well myself and if I don't get in, then I don't get in

• Advertisement

This is my 3rd time applying and this was the first year that I paid for a prep course for stage one which I thought was very expensive and my oom is 845.

think I will wait and see how everything goes before paying out more money too 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Alana123

Got an email earlier with the information booklet for stage 2 including the competencies 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrdeanj

so for stage 2 it's not a video repeated twice like last year and you have to take notes?

It is a situation where you must write about how you would react and then they ask you more about it in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rachel867

Does anyone know if I can use an iPad using chrome?

I’ve tried it , sadly it doesn’t work it tries to direct you to use safari instead and we know safari isn’t recommended to work

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PetShopBoy

I was recommended a prep course by a Garda friend. He joined last year. Said he went to GardaIP for all stages and wouldn’t have got there without it. Anyways I bought their Written Assessment course today. Fingers crossed he is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jcoyne22

@PetShopBoy . What do you think of the course with garda ip as its a new one for the written exam?

I paid €100 and it's not up to date. I sent them an email and they said they're working on it over the weekend and it should be good to go.

I’m finding it good. I feel I’ve loads of work to do though! You really need to know alot about the Garda role to answer the questions. My advice to everyone that has got to Stsge 2 is to start looking into the role and also start talking to any Garda friends you have to get an understanding of the job

It’s up to date for me?

• Advertisement

100€ just for the written part ? And on top paying a couple hundred for the interview course ? These prices are not enticing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Altezzagalway

Hi guys stupid question here but I’m just wondering is it black and white page leaving cert results are on or is it a coloured version ? I have mine but in black and white just wondering if everyone else’s is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roisinoharaa

Needs to be the colored stamped version you need to order online they don’t accept the black and white . Well they didn’t with us last year

It's been updated now

When do they ask for the LC results is it during or before the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roisinoharaa

I can’t remember I think it’s for your form B so after the interview. Was this time last year when I done mine and I’m not 100% sure I remember I had to email my driving license as well at some stage. Nearly sure it was after the interview for my form B 🙈 but you will need them at some stage ! You get them in the post handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Altezzagalway

Does anyone know if we are going to be graded for the writen exam or is it just for interview purposes. Also should i buy stage 2 exam prep material or is should i just do it without. Thanks

You can PM if you want. Outside of the wriiten exercise, its helping me understand much more what a a Guard does and what I'll have to do if i was a guard. I also heard that you are asked these type of questions in the interview. Was mentioned on the garda recruitmemt thread from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 14 19thhole

Are we being marked on these competencies only, Using information & Problem solving skills and Interpersonal Skills and Service Ethos only yes?

Also does anyway know what way they want us to structure it?

• Advertisement

According to the guide for the interview that they sent out. Those two competencies are joint together in the interview. For these two competencies during the interview, they will refer to the written element of the interview that you will have done.

My take on it is that for the written part it should reflect the two competencies so knowing them and how they would relate to being a garda. I have yet to have a good think and brainstorm about it but that's what I've taken from reading the guide.

The written part of the interview doesn't affect your OOM and is just for the purpose of being used during the interview.

Advertisement