Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭downcow

you’ll have to convince your country folk, who don’t seem quite as sure as you were all the blame lies. Did I see that Israel was the second most popular vote from Ireland in the Eurovision?

Oh, I am pretty sure it will be up again when the protocol allows.
    I do wonder why you focus on this flag when there are tricolours on taller flagpoles - but then there is a word for that mentality.
    to be fair, maybe you don’t see them – but there’s a word for that condition as well

I see the hard work on the CraigyHill bonfire has begun. It will tower far above this flagpole. I think their intention is to create a new world record for the third year running. 👏

I haven’t seen it in the flesh, so if I am spared, I will try and get there for the 11th night this year

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

…😧

• Advertisement

What's the word?

Where's the link to the protocol?

Where are the tricolours on private land on 100ft poles and I'll have a laugh at them too?

What are the chances of getting answers to these questions?

Edit: I googled Craigyhill bonfire and I found a tricolour higher than 100ft but I don't think that one counts.

seems you have resorted to lies again. I don’t think you will find a tricolour anywhere near the CraigyHill bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

There were news articles about tricolours being burned on the Craigyhill bonfire in 2021...I suppose they're all reformed characters since then and we'll ignore the UDA connections with that fire so.

David Murray paid for that hundred grand McClaren from his cleaning company and all....

Here it is.

Any chance you could answer the odd question or provide a link to that protocol?

Bad manners to be accusing me of telling lies. Any links/ quotes to any lies I have told?

… I'll wait

guys, you need to move on. You are stuck in the past.
    I was very clear and said you WILL not find a tricolour anywhere near the CraigyHill bonfire - I didn’t say that you cannot not find historic pictures of how it was done in the past. This is what is very positive about the direction of bonfire building. Here is a wee article from 2022 which assures that there will be no tricolours that year, and there certainly never have been since.

we had Republicans jumping up and down last week because several hundred mattresses were delivered to the site. They nearly had kittens with the gotcha - then they had to slip away with their tail between their legs when they discovered that the mattresses were for fall protection and definitely will not be burned.
    https://www.sundayworld.com/news/irish-news/master-builder-behind-worlds-biggest-bonfire-insists-you-wont-find-tricolours-burning-on-his-pyre/589787594.html

• Advertisement

Sad that you keep harking back.
    This fire is attended by many thousands of people and has many visitors daily, from all communities, as it stretches into the sky.
    The fireworks are provided by people from Dublin. This year, at the peak of festivities, there will be a rap artist performing, who is from the Falls Road and he will be wearing a Celtic shirt. That sounds very different from the picture that some try to post on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Great stuff and good to see. I remember hearing once that in the 50s and 60s there was a better atmosphere in N.I. than a few decades later…for example in rural areas catholic farmers would offer to do the milking on the 12th to help out their protestant neighbours and there was friendliness involved both ways. I have never been to a 12th parade or bonfire, or been in N.I. on the 11th or 12th of July, but I am open minded enough to think I might attend one at some stage in the future, if I had the time. Of course sometimes I have been in my southern registered car in villages in N.I. when a band and its followers passed, without any problems.

PATHETIC!

Absolutely pathetic behaviour.

It was you who brought up the Craigyhill bonfire in your post at 8.15pm yesterday.

Then you insulted me for some reason by saying that there was a word for some condition that I had.

When you were challenged on this…

"What's the word?

Where's the link to the protocol?

Where are the tricolours on private land on 100ft poles and I'll have a laugh at them too?

What are the chances of getting answers to these questions?"

… you resorted to calling me a liar

and when I asked you for "Any links/ quotes to any lies I have told?"

You now suggest that I am stuck in the past!!!!

You just couldn't make this **** up

Pathetic!

"stuck in the past" 🤣

the picture I posted has an anti-protocol banner on it!! How far in the past is that? Last year or 2022?

now I am not going to go down another rabbit hole with you. You know quite well that I was not referring to a discussion on a bonfire as the past, as these bonfires are very much the current and the future. My problem was that you wanted to talk about bonfires from the past instead of where we are now.

As for the tall flagpole. When someone raised it here to give off about it, I simply pointed out that it was on private property and that the owner had the right to put whatever flag he liked up. You now to seem to think it’s a bigger issue because it is on private property. As flag in Ireland, to my disappointment discovered that were higher tricolours in, I think it was limerick. I’m just curious why you have not sought them out and are complaining about them.

With regard to the word, I can’t remember what it was referring to, but I think if I said that then the word would be obvious to everyone. If you find me the post, I will certainly tell you what the word was.

I can well believe that Francis. Things are so so much better now. I have on several occasions stayed overnight with friends just off the Woodstock Road in Belfast. Literally yards away at the end of the street is a large UVF mural. I have parked my southern-reg car there on the terraced street and the car has remained untouched. I've never had so much as a dirty look from the locals.

Obviously I was a bit on edge the first time but sectarian attacks (from both sides) are a rare thing now thankfully.

Sure just share the link with us and then we will have all the facts and know the date? There will be no games.

Ah would ye cop on!

Try reading up a few posts. Maybe try engaging with what people are posting. You brought up the subject of the Craigyhill bonfire yesterday evening. If you don't want to discuss it then don't raise it in a discussion.

Show me where I've complained about the lad with the massive flegpole.

Show me where I've lied as you claimed yesterday.

Show me this protocol that you keep harping on about.

What is the word that you've accused me of being?

Of course you're not going to "go down another rabbit hole" with me as you've no substance to your points.

No problems. The link is easy to find on a google search. If you find the date please enlighten us. Can't be too long ago. How long ago were the protocol tears?

I'll do this after you've shared the link to this flag protocol you keep mentioning and to the big tricolour in Limerick and provided an example of me lying and explained the word that you accused me of being.

Funny how you went from from

"There is not a flag on top of a 100 foot flagpole and Clough. I have told you that many times." at 6.54pm yesterday to

"Oh, I am pretty sure it will be up again when the protocol allows." at 8.10 pm yesterday.

"I don’t think you will find a tricolour anywhere near the CraigyHill bonfire" (9.47pm yesterday) to "I didn’t say that you cannot not find historic pictures of how it was done in the past." after a picture was easily found.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It was brought up because the preposterous claim was made that Unionists have no need to tell anyone 'they are British'. I think Choochtown said he missed it as it gave him a smile, rather than giving out.

We are now discussing a few month long festival where the flag and colours of Britain will be plastered everywhere and the flags of those considered 'foreigners' (Ireland and the EU) will be burned by those who have no need to tell the world 'they are British'.

Go figure.

• Advertisement

Google is your friend. For example, for the flagpole in Limerick, if you google it, you will see references to it online.

That was back in 2016. 40 meters is I think over 131 feet, so it is considerably taller than the 100ft one with the Union flag you were complaining about in N.I.

Do please try and keep up Francis!

I wasn't complaining about the flag. The 'oul comprehension problem has kicked in again.

Whilst Google is being your friend, did you manage to find that flag protocol?

I am afraid it is clearly you that has the comprehension problem Choochtown; do try harder and keep up. You were looking for a link "to the big tricolour in Limerick" ( your words, not mine), among other things. At 3.26 I told you good is your friend and for example, if you google for the flagpole in Limerick, you will see numerous references to it online. And I showed you a picture / link. I never mentioned "flag protocol" in the first place - I do not remember ever using those words - but that does not say there is not a flag protocol in place. Who says there is even a flag protocol written down? I googled Protocols in everyday life, it says ( and I quote) : On foot we look both ways before we cross the street. In the store we check food ingredients. We adopt protocols regarding our diet, posture, movements, security, and the use of tools of all kinds. Without these protocols—these habits of daily action—the little risks of daily life would soon overcome us.

Some Republicans were complaining about the 100 ft high flagpole on private property in N.I., what have you to say about the tricolour on top of the 40 meter ( 131 feet ) pole in Limerick? Was it funded by the taxpayer via the Univ. of Limerick? I remember in another third level institution years ago seeing large official posters of the "leaders" of the 1916 "rebellion" on the walls inside the entrance. You are aware that if there was a U.I. that a lot of people of the new U.I. may or would see the leaders of 1916 as traitors / terrorists, and think of them the same as Bobby Sands, and think it inappropriate they adorn the walls of a third level institution? Yet Another reason not to vote for a U.I., the topic of this thread.

If you think large amounts of people burn the flags of the Rep of Ireland ( the same flag as was on top of many a pira coffin, as they see it ), do you really think the Gardai would be able to contain the violence from these people if there was a U.I.? You cannot have it both ways. They have had so many friends and relatives slaughtered by the sectarian pIRA (as they see it), they will not accept being on their knees in a U.I., under the tricolour, looking at pictures of your 1916 leaders and having to learn Irish.

Yet Another reason not to vote for a U.I., the topic of this thread.

Plenty of nationalists have burned Union Jacks, included one of our Taoiseach, a certain Charles J. Haughey, so when in greenhouses…

As I'd suspected. No evidence of a flag protocol as downcow claimed.

Also once again I did NOT complain about the Clough lad and his big long flagpole.

You must have seen it Francis on one of your trips up North? Could be seen for miles around. I reckon he's really really really really British. Impressive lengths to go to in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nationalists are in the halfpenny place when it comes to the, is it 3 months now, orgy of hate at bonfires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Suckler

Sure in a United Ireland, the Unionist populace would inexorably erupt in such violence that the Gardai wouldn't be able to manage it….or so we are led to believe.

absolutely no contradiction in any of that. I can guarantee you there is not a flag on top of a 100 foot flagpole and Clough, nor will there be until the festivities begin proper. Are you continuing to argue that there is a flag on top of the 100 foot flagpole???? Just give us a straight yes or no
    I will say it again for you. You will not find a tricolour anywhere near the CraigyHill bonfire. Are you saying that we will?????

Absolutely brilliant Francis. My memory was a little bit vague, and I was hoping I was right. Choochtown wrong again, and Downcow proof to be accurate as ever 👏👏

• Advertisement

I think Francis, choochtown is claiming he was just laughing at it, he will be in stitches about the one in Limerick 😂

Advertisement