Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Even giving Adeyemo stick is silly because he was barely used in a similar fashion to Manley's conundrum currently. Caulfield hasn't really been able to get a huge amount out of any strikers bar Walshy. Hardly Jordan's fault for wanting out. Look at how well Wilson has gone so far at Cobh for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Did Adeyemo leave of his own accord? He didn't get much playing time. Left and then went on a great run for Longford Town. We took Manley which I think was pure Caulfield...he wanted another target man for long ball shite. Thank God for Ollie!

Seemed disrespectful of Adeyemo's abilities to leave him on the bench, I'm glad he is somewhere where he can play regularly. I feel bad for the likes of Manley, Kieta, Rowe etc. who show their ability when they play but can't get a look in. A good problem for the club to have, not so much for the players.

I could kind of understand giving Ruairí Keating stick considering some of the shite he was putting on Twitter but wouldn't be a fan of giving any players or managers abuse. Keating got some stick from our supporters last season so I think he was mostly just rising to it. Its not like the LOI players that people are abusing are millionaires who go home to a gated mansion. They are abusing lads who you'd see in line at Xi'an down Quay St or out at Tesco.

Not our finest showing this year but another win. Big shifts from Walshy and McCarthy. You'd have that small bit of worry in the back of your mind as a Galway United fan that the performances are dropping a bit like before the dam burst in the summer last year.

Ah I dunno. First half was poor but second half the tempo was upped and that's what got us the goals as well as some clever movement and quick thinking. Wexford had 11 men behind the ball first half and we're absolutely uninterested in attacking. That's hard to break through, as they showed in Waterford.

A solid, unspectacular, comfortable win is how I'd describe it. We've definitely played worse this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

Definitely a sluggish performance in the first half, but that was probably Wexford’s game plan anyway.

Horgan and Manning were really missed from the squad too. I really don’t know how or why they persist with Lombotto though, he has been quite poor and this continued again last night. I’d even give young Keita a chance there at this stage.

Still winning though, just need to keep matching Waterford’s results every week.

I'd probably try Kieta ahead of Lomboto but Walsh will be suspended for the next match so probably Manley up front and Lomboto to assume the role of Walsh (pressuring the keeper and defenders)

We're unlikely to change to 442 so he'll go with Francely left and Manley or Keita up top. Treaty will be a test as they're back in good form at the wrong time for us.

Caulfied is terrified of change so no way Francely, who was poor enough after a brief decent showing last week, will be dropped. I'd say Manley up top and Francely and McCarthy out wide. Would Nugent come in for Slevin then I wonder?

Yep Mo will slot in at centre half, better than having him at RB anyway.

• Advertisement

Comfortable win last night. Treaty were woeful. We weren't even that good but didn't have to be. The sending off made the last half hour a walk in the park. Good to see Healy and McCullagh get some minutes, both impressed in what was barely any time. Hopefully they get more time in upcoming games if we keep winning and build leads early.

Finn Harps was a doddle too. Seems like no teams can match the intensity United bring.

Bangor Celtic in the cup the weekend of July 23rd in Eamonn Deacy Park. The draw resulted in 3 ties of all Premier Division teams. No matter what, there will be 3 fewer Premier Division sides on the next round. Could see Cobh pull off an upset too. I would give us a decent chance against the like of Sligo, Drogheda, UCD and Cork City this season too. Derry, Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk have been very inconsistent. It could be our best chance in ages to at least make it to the semi-final or final.

Yeah, promotion and winning the league is the main priority, but I’d love to see us go on a good cup run. It’d be great to get to the final in the Aviva!!

I think we're only a week or two off the year anniversary of when we hit the the skids last year. Wexford away on Friday is gigantic. I'd ignore the cup completely and focus on promotion tbh.

No chance, the cup offers a huge opportunity this season given our form. The first round should be a walk in the park even if we rotate. Three prem teams out at that stage and potentially 5 non league getting through makes qf and further realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

On top of that, I'd be interested to see how we do against the Premier teams. We've looked pretty hot against pretty poor opposition. Might be no harm to have their metal tested prior to next season.

Absolutely, you'd think we'd potentially hold our own against the bottom 3 or 4 sides but it'd be good to see how we'd compete against a Dundalk, Pat's, Bohs etc.

Rumours about signing Aodh Dervin who's loan to Longford from Shels has ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Exactly and a chance of Europe too and the money windfall that brings.

And JC’s Maroon and White Army March on. 👏👏 16pt gap now, with Waterford’s game falling foul of the weather.

Winning the league is the only successful outcome now, screw the play-offs, that really is a lottery and such an unfair system. The bottom two should automatically drop out of the Prem and the playoffs should only be between league 1 clubs.

I’ve already said it here, I’d love to see us have a great cup run now, starting next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Marches on in spite of JC 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

Ya it was another poor enough display last night, 3 and half in a row now. Admittedly an improvement of some form in the Cobh game at least.

I'd love a cup run and it's a chance to see where we are at if we draw a Prem team after beating Bangor (I'm counting chickens).

Cobh have been very good under Keegan this season. Even when Athlone have been shite, they make it hard to get a result in their stadium. The astroturf pitch is utter shite. With the heavy rain all day, it was made worse. I wouldn't read too much into the performance last night.

We never play well in Athlone but that's no excuse for McCormacks poor passing, Francelys woeful cameo off the bench, Walshys continued poor form or the managers poor use of subs. We've been consistently poor for 3 and a half games. We need to get back to something like our form from the first half of the season to ensure it doesn't turn into anything bar a procession to the title now.

And on we March!! 💪💪

Good result last night, coupled with Waterford’s failure to win now leaves us needing 7 wins from 12. Hope it’s wrapped up sooner rather than later, and then push on in the Cup. UCD should be beatable in that.

And then home to Harps or Wexford in the QF hopefully.

Comfortable once we scored last night, poor until that point though. Manning and Ed were excellent and they changed the game coming inside and linking up.

I know we had bigger wins but that was probably the most enjoyable performance for me once Walshy slotted that bicycle as ben.schlomo correct highlighted. The ex Waterford lad very unlucky to have a ball cleared off the line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

And a chance for some younger players to get a run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

United need 87 points at this stage to win it. Is that right?

• Advertisement

Huge game tonight. Draw or win and that's the league wrapped realistically. All the pressure is on Waterford tonight, hopefully we use that to our advantage and can hit them on the break. First 20 mins will be very important.

Advertisement