Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Realistically, of course they're going to drop points to other teams. It's a 36 game league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Both teams are head and shoulders above the rest quality wise. I've seen nothing in the opening round of games from any team, outside of Waterford, to suggest we can't beat every other side on any given night. Dropped points against Waterford are a possibility but no other side has troubled us, remotely.

Dropped points are a possibility of course but there's no reason, currently, that we can't keep this run going.

Injuries. Suspensions. Poor form. Bas luck. Any amount of reasons to drop points over an entire season.

They are but mere excuses. Given our resources and start to the season none of those should cause us major problems. Throwing away points against the likes of Cobh, Longford, Treaty is unacceptable this season. That's what did for us last season and can't be allowed again. The momentum from the first series has to be maintained and built on.

I hope you're right, but experience has taught me to be more cautious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m hoping for an ‘Invincibles’ season 🤞🤞

I'm coming at it from more of an "unacceptable if we don't go up" kind of viewpoint. Not that I necessarily think we won't drop points, cos we will. But it shouldn't be against the dross of the division like seasons gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tonight's game a total sell out. First time I can ever remember that happening.

Every 10 year old in the county seemed to be in Terryland tonight. Lot of clubs/ schools had an evening out for their teams. Different kind of atmosphere but they enjoyed themselves. Record set for punnets of chips sold at a United game for sure 😄

Not the greatest game of the season, but all that matters is the 3pts!! 11/11 is some going so far! 👏👏

Two big games next week, nice trip to Longford on Monday night, then a real 6 pointer next Friday night at EDP. Winning both of these games would give us a nice cushion!! Come on United. 💪💪

• Advertisement

Yup I said any dropped points should be viewed as unacceptable against the dross. And thats exactly what last night was. A woeful performance, following on from being poor against Cobh and a poor first half in Kerry.

JC reverted to panicking goofball for the entire second half which is a joke. Persisting with Francely is also hurting us, like playing with ten men. Huge missed opportunity given Waterford's awful result yesterday. Friday has the makings of a JC bottle job now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Hate singling out players but what on Earth does Lomboto need to do to get dropped so we can start Clarke?

There's no conceivable answer for that. If he had 1 leg JC would start him out of position on the left. JC does this with one or two players every season. There's no way he can start Friday, I'd be shocked if Mike Rowe isn't on the left. A go to for JC in big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Had a chat with my friend from Longford on Sunday and had said to him I reckon Longford would win that match. The players seemed tired against Cobh and it was a tough match for them. Cobh gave them a very tough contest. During the Cobh match the commentators said McCormack had been sick during the week. Wonder if something has been going around the squad. If it trickling through, it could be a bad sign for the Waterford match too.

Huge win tonight. Super atmosphere and a great performance from the lads. Ed, McCormack, Slevin, Brouder and Walshy were especially good. Lots of other commendable performances too. Gotta keep the performances going now and keep the lead.

Excellent 3 points. Defence were outstanding the last 20 minutes under sustained pressure. Would love us to get a prolific forward to round out the team. Could have had a couple more first half goals with a more clinical finisher.

10 points clear having beaten our nearest rivals twice. Can't ask for more.

It was a nervy last 10mins, but fair play to them seeing it out! A nice cushion to have after playing them twice, roll on next Friday again, when Wexford come to town!

While you'd like to see a prolific scorer the difference up top if you lost Walshys work ethic could be a big loss. It'll be in the works for next season if we went up anyway as we'd definitely need more firepower.

Could definitely use someone to run ahead of Walsh. He's incredible at flicking on the ball but no one runs onto them. It is great to have so much depth in the squad that Horgan could be taken off when on a yellow and have O'Keefe come on. It is a bit of a shame that the like of Nugent, Rowe and Manley don't play more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That win was just what the doctor ordered after Monday. Ed McCarthy in his natural position has made such a difference. I think Darren Clarke instead of Lomboto (who had a better game tonight tbf) would make us a bit more potent in attack.

Great atmosphere tonight too. Waterford brought a solid support and I think one fan concussed himself celebrating their goal.

Rowe has always flattered to deceive, for me. Has never been consistent with his performance level and has no natural position in the team. He played left midfield, left back and right midfield last night!! Maurice can't get ahead of the 2 centre halves and isnt stronger than the fullbacks or cms so he has to wait for a chance really.

There was a bit of aggro with some of the Waterford fans on the way out at the end of the game. Lads hopping off buses to get engaged in some handbags going on between them and some other fans. Nothing major, but it was a bit bizarre to watch.

You'll always get that with the junior scum elements from both sides. Same as Cork last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,393 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That the same behaved crowd who blocked the Dyke Road underpass chanting 'united united' and had flares?

I don’t see any harm in that to be fair. The Dyke Road should be temporarily closed to traffic at the start/ end of the games. It’s quite dangerous for cars and pedestrians travelling back into town.

Would only need a 30mins closure and it’s only a small diversion for cars. Local access could be maintained for the 3-4 houses between EDP and the Black Box.

There were some young lads screaming and shouting at each other, but there was a few punches thrown by grown men too. Like I said, nothing too serious, but it was a bit bizarre to be leaving the place and then to wander upon guys squaring up to each other and all that etc, etc.

Since things opened up again after lockdowns, LOI is en vogue. Attendance is up across the league but it is also attracting lads who seem to want to buy into tribalism. Maybe been following Premier League clubs for a while and think the aggro & giving each other stick and hating certain clubs (and their supporters and players) is a part of being a supporter. It didn't sit well with me last season when when The Maroon Army lads booing were Higgins when he played against us in the cup. Giving Curran crap when he scored against us in Markets Field. I also thought Caulfield should have been out last season but the abuse he got from some was unwarranted and childish, imo. I'm not a big fan of that aggressive nasty negative shite.

• Advertisement

No time for abusing former good servants or young players. A bit of stick for lads who didn't stick around long is grand (Adeyemo this weekend might get some).

The manager deserved most of what he got at the end of last season. Again, no time for the throwing of stuff at him but anything verbal is fair game given how badly he fcuked up the season and his general shenanigans.

Advertisement