Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion - Spring 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Rumble of thunder just now in Dublin 22

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I feel like I'm hearing distant rolling thunder on the Dublin/Meath/Kildare border, any one confirm?

PS, huge rumble nearby, just confirmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

CN clouds northwest of D22

• Advertisement

Shows up nicely on radar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

well that was quite a thunderstorm we had here at Dunshaughlin and very unexpected. I was heading to the supermarket on my walk and everything looked grand on the way in, it was sunny and some clouds around but the sky did not have that shower on the way look about it. 15 minutes later I exited the supermarket and there was some rain, I looked at the sky and it didn't look like it was going to amount of much, so I walked anyway as it wasn't too heavy but by the time I got to Aldi on my way home the heavens opened so I went inside.

I swore I heard some thunder so I went outside under shelter near the entrance of Aldi and then the lightning came, loads of rumbles, I stood there for half an hour as the thunderstorm developed right over my head and stayed here for almost an hour. There were at least 20 or 30 loud rumbles of thunders and I saw about 20 flashes of lightning. As the rain eased, I decided it looked like it was going to clear so started to make the 20 minute walk home and after about 5 minutes the thunderstorm came back and I got absolutely soaked to the skin on the way home. Clothes all changed now and thunderstorm has moved on.

Without a doubt the best thunderstorm experience I have witnessed here at Dunshaughlin in well over 20 years, it was similar to the hour long thunderstorms we get in southern Spain from time to time with the frequency of lightning and loudness of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some serious rain up in North Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Fingers crossed I get some here in carrick around 7pm is favourited time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just had a bang here outside Tullamore and I can only recall one lightning experience as bad and that was in the 80's. If someone told me a petrol station had exploded, I'd believe them. This came out of nowhere, no rumbles, no silent heavy breathing phonecalls at night. Just BANG!! And only one and then the heavens opened.

Looks bad alright up around Maynooth /Lucan and into Meath.

Earlier, a heavy shower filled in so quickly that the radar hadn't even caught it until it was 10 minutes into its dastardly deed. Typical thundery weather but spectacular for the time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

Thunder in Navan at the moment. Haven't seen any lightning yet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thunder starting here again at Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

That big cell over the Inishowen Peninsula looks to have a hook like appendage. Wonder if it has any rotation.

Some very loud cracks of thunder now and bright flashes. Biblical style rain with it. A very bizzare day here in Meath with warm temperatures, sunshine, thunder and lightning and flash flooding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Still firing away, some very heavy rain around Cavan/ Monaghan/ Fermanagh.

Today so far.

Got some thunder here in Carrick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Convection with thunderstorms possible producing heavy rain and hail possible moving W to E tomorrow and coming up against a good convergence zone in the NE, E and SE. Temperatures not as high maybe as today with lower Dp's, Lapse rates decent with some LLS and DLS available especially along the coasts on the Eastern side of the country. Upper cold pool colder than today so wondering if that will offset the fact that temps might be degree or two lower in general ? Would expect it to kick off in the afternoon and could peak in the afternoon or late afternoon along NE, E and SE coastal areas. The N /NE might see the most storm activity.

From Convective Weather

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 30 Apr 2023 - 05:59 UTC Mon 01 May 2023

ISSUED 20:14 UTC Sat 29 Apr 2023

ISSUED BY: Dan

A pronounced upper trough will crest the western Europe upper ridge as it slides eastwards across the British Isles on Sunday. A moist low-level airmass will persist across most areas, with the exception of central and northern Scotland, with dewpoints typically 10-12C. Ireland/Northern Ireland will have the benefit of early occlusion debris clearing eastwards leading to better insolation and surface heating, coupled with being under the upper trough (and associated cold pool) during peak heating hours. As such, an unstable environment is anticipated here, yielding generally 500-1,000 J/kg MLCAPE and resulting in numerous heavy showers and thunderstorms developing through the day, especially in Ulster and Leinster aided in places by orographic forcing and some areas of low-level wind convergence as a surface trough develops through the afternoon. Modified forecast soundings reveal fairly unidirectional winds with height leading to rather weak cloud layer shear (<20kts), but potential for cloud tops to reach around 30,000ft (ELTs around -50C). As such, some fairly active thunderstorms will be possible, perhaps more especially in the north and east of Northern Ireland. Cells initially will probably be steered towards the east or northeast on the forward side of the upper trough, but as the trough departs across Britain during the evening the steering flow may take cells more to the southeast later in the day and through the evening. While shear may not be particularly strong, some fairly robust updrafts in the most organised cells could produce hail up to 1.5cm in diameter (sub-severe). Thunderstorms may spread into or develop over portions of southern Scotland later in the afternoon and into the evening hours.

Over England and Wales, rather extensive cloud (and outbreaks of rain) associated with occlusion debris may limit surface heating and therefore casts a lot of uncertainty over whether deep convection can develop. Ahead of this, some modest surface heating is possible in eastern England for a time, and may just be sufficient to develop a few heavy showers/weak thunderstorms in conjunction with breeze convergence in the area. The risk area will shift southwards from Northumberland towards Lincolnshire through the afternoon, and is still a possibility until around mid-evening for Lincolnshire/The Wash, but confidence on much lightning activity occurring is rather low. Elsewhere, some modest buildup of CAPE is possible across northern England, Wales and SW England in the vicinity of the occlusion in response to diurnal heating if sufficient cloud thinning/breaking occurs as the leading edge of the upper trough/cold pool arrives from the west, and may provide the focus for additional heavy showers/weak thunderstorms - but again, low confidence. In addition, during the evening and night activity over eastern Ireland will eventually migrate across the Irish Sea into Wales/NW England albeit probably with a weakening trend in lightning activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

UK Met Office Weather Warning (www.metoffice.gov.uk)

Heavy showers and thunderstorms may cause some disruption and flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Sunday 30/04/2023 to 21:00 Sunday 30/04/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very convective rain falling here now out of the blue. Massive drops

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Starting on the north east coast now by Cushendun

A good scattering of sferics showing up now in the N, N/E .

Some nice convection coming out of the W.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Loud bang of thunder in Dublin 15 just now. Had a very heavy shower 2 or 3 minutes ago

Probably the loudest bang of Thunder I've heard since 1985, it sounded like a bomb going off. Just one so far but it shock the entire house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

And again just now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah that got me too. The dog is very unpleased.

Wow the East and SE lit up quickly and early.

• Advertisement

Thunderstorm warning has been issued for the east

Advertisement