Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There is a connection /link, though. The events that likely helped bring about the cold spell occurred in winter. It's just a pity they did happen not much earlier in the winter!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah the SSW happened mid February or there abouts which unfortunately was too late to impact winter in any way. The next successful SSW really needs to be a split and happen around Christmas time or early January to have a proper impact on a future winter. For me the cut off point for SSW excitement is end of January. Unfortunately SSW's in December or early January are fairly rare and they usually occur in February or March, sometimes April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Feels very mild today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

generally 14/15c, the summer like temps are because of the SSW which was ‘meant’ to effect us in mid March, it’s all complete bullsh1t of course, nothing more than a last desperate throw of the dice by desperate coldies as yet another winter slips by.

Its conveniently forgotten that the first ever 20c recorded in the UK in Feb followed a SSW.

edit: this is no way a reply to Gonzo’s post, it’s only my opinion about over hyped SSWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

In fairness a lot of the country saw snow in the last few weeks so it did deliver. Just depends on what your expectations were I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

And the SSW did affect us, you can be in denial all you like but it has happened as indicated by the dripping paint diagram. -AO occurred at 1hPa and downward propagated through the first week of March. Relatively short effects as you'd expect given the nature of displacement events which this one was.

Northern hemispheric profile on 7th March 2023, a lot of arctic blocking with a displaced PV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The tpv would not be displaced over to the Asian side for so long if it were not for the SSW. Look at the circulation on the gift I posted in the fi thread, this is clear evidence of the effects of the SSW on the troposphere pattern in the Northern Hemisphere. Lows are churned out by the displaced tpv and come back across the Atlantic and phase with the tpv again.

Unfortunately as Gonzo alluded to a displaced SSW is less likely to work out in our favour.

A split increases our chances of a favourable outcome, but does not guarantee it either . So Just because the SSW does not have an advantageous outcome does not mean it has no influence on the troposphere, rather that sometimes it leads to an unfavourable outcome, if it's snow you are after!

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye sounds annoying alright ,we'll have to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Unbelievable heavy showers today. Flooding on roads and fields. 10C

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There was a lovely interlude of about an hour today, with 14°C and sunshine in Dublin.

Felt warm, I had a hoodie on and almost needed to remove it. People were sitting at picnic tables outside the shops.

Naturally normal order was restored soon afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya got up to 15c and sunny in Sligo today. It was like being abroad after the 3c and rain of many if the previous days.

It soon lashed rain though in case anyone got too warm. Ya can't be having that now.

Why couldn't Patrick have banished the rain instead 🥲 another grim morning in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Unbelievable amount of rain has fallen in Cork over the last 10 days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Same here in Meath, garden is as bad as it was over the Christmas period. A few days ago I was calling for another prolonged dry spell even tho we just came out of one about 10 days ago, but the amount of rain we've had over the past 10 days is an entire months worth. There is no sign of the wet weather easing any time soon between now and April, this is going to be a seriously wet March by the time we're finished. We already need another prolonged dry spell at this point or else flooding is going to become a real issue in April if the Atlantic onslaught continues into next month.

Another 70 to 100mm of rainfall is possible between now and the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Beautiful sunny morning in the south west of Gran Canaria temp expected around 26/27 today. Gin blue skies. Glorious.

A Paddys day write off here in Meath, hasn't stopped raining, not good weather for the parades at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Wasn't a bad start at 0830. Was out in tshirt for a run and even some hazy sunshine behind the growing clouds.

Since 1030 its been raining. A washout for local parade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely morning in Galway for the parade. They were lucky because rain has arrived now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Everyone at the Dublin Parade looks dry. Not a brolly in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

• Advertisement

The humidity is dreadful. I hate March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tell me about it, the local parade here was at 11am, the worse possible time.

It wasn't just raining but lashing for the full hour. We all had rain coats and umbrellas and we still got a bit wet.

We were a lot better off though then some people who didn't plan for weather.

Raining on and off since then.

What time was main parade on at because it lashed all the way through the Swords parade at 11am?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

Dublin city had good shelter until recently and it was more or less dry for much of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential downpour in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Happy St Patrick's day guys, very mild out but pissing it down

We seem to be locked into prolonged dry spells or deluges. Nothing in between. Land was lovely and dry about two weeks ago and now it's a mess again. Very frustrating. Would be nice to just have 'normal' weather for a while.

I can't remember the last time we had normal weather in terms of rainfall or lack of rainfall. It's either completely dry for weeks/months on end or deluge after deluge for weeks on end and then a flip back to prolonged dry followed by another flip to an extended very wet pattern. The past 2 weeks has been so wet, it's as if the January/February dry spell never happened.

The past 2 weeks my regular exercise regime which involves walking around 20,000 steps a day has really taken a major hit with day after day of rain, downpours and heavy misty drizzle. I'm so fed up with the daily Atlantic pigmuck right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

20,000 steps a day. That’s impressive. Last time I got 20,000 steps in one day was on holiday in Italy.

Looking ahead I really hope we don’t get a cold blast around Easter. The cold is just wasted at that time of year. Charts over last few days were hinting at another cold blast late March/ early April. Haven’t looked at them today as out and about.

• Advertisement

Is it to much to ask for some dry weather?

Ffs we got soaked at parade yesterday and I was determined to get out to park with kids today, I knew it would rain later but meant to he dry till later on in afternoon.

Instead we were all ready to head out door and yet again lashing rain.

Sick of this poxy weather. Your trying to keep your family active and weather just goes against you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement