Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WrestleMania 39 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fabulous touch by Cody giving his belt to Jon Huber's son. This really does have a big fight feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Classic entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah **** off

A repeat of CATC

Who the hell is going to be the one to beat Roman ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That is absolute bullshit

**** me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

They obviously want to get him to 1000 days. OR this was sooo good they will repeat it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Well, that's me convinced that Vince was in charge of night 2.

So they're really gonna do the Roman title reign through to Mania 40. Wow. Night 2 was all the bad things of WWE coming to the fore after an unbelievable first night. Stupid pointless returns (Nobody gives a shiny shite about Shane), weird paced matches (HIAC felt shorter than it should have been) and a screwy finish in the main event. Actually not sure the last time Roman has actually won clean (and I get that he's a heel but the amount of help he needs is mad)

I can't enjoy a two night Mania.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I’m in total shock.

And not in a good way. In a “I invested in that story, the first WWE story in a decade, it drew me back to WWE and they just absolutely blew it”.

Utterly shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That's Vince all over.

They blew it. Literally at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Me too Shane O'Mac back for seconds before succumbing to the family curse of use your trade mark shuffle up to the ring and your quad will explode once you enter it. 🤣🤣

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I had planned to watch night 2 later today, cause I wasn't able to stay up for it cause of an early appointment today. Now I think I'll just watch the IC match, and leave it at that. What a way to sour the whole event, horrendous.

I feel bad laughing, but it was such a cluster **** and is a Wrestlemania Moment © that will go down in history. Taunting the fans with a surprise when Lashley and Knight have been openly campaigning for a spot, only for it to be Shane. Having him get on the mic after his entrance, and showing he's gassed already. And then suffering a catastrophic injury 25 seconds into the "match", leading to Miz and Snoop dog having to scramble to save the segment? You literally couldn't write it.

I'm so angry at it. Probably the best story they've had in 15 years minimum, and they screwed up the landing.

Who now? I can't see them letting Jey Uso be the one who takes the title (I've advocated non-title matches between them for Summerslam but if it's a title match, Roman wins). They literally had the most over babyface in a decade, ready to ascend to the very top tier of babyfaces.

Incredibly, they managed to have TWO perfect moments to create a top babyface and end the historic reign perfectly over the last two months. And they whiffed BOTH of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've been pretty fed up with the Roman storyline for a while now, so I was really looking forward to finally getting the payoff, and this just feels insulting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

Baffling booking.

If not Sami, it had to be Cody.

And since Roman is basically part time now I don’t see him at Backlash

Why do the whole Rumble thing etc ?

It would have been like Kenny beating Hangman.

Also, amoung the mess of the ending….I’m baffled Edge beat Finn too. Not even just Finn, but the Demon. That’s really indefensible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I called it a while back they will want reigns to lose at WM40 as a proper changing of the guard not now. They wanted the 1,000 days and Vince always gets his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,102 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The closer it got to the match, the more I felt Roman was going over via shenanigans.

They couldn’t resist the 1000 days.  They couldn’t resist a possible Cena/Rock style redemption story.  They couldn't resist keeping the title on the centrepiece character as the business is about to be sold.

The random enough beating of Solo on Monday also now makes total sense.

I don’t hate it as much as others will, but for the first time since I started following the Bloodline story, I’m concerned that they’ll let it get stale.  Roman Reigns is the best thing in the industry, and is operating on a level very few ever reach in terms of storytelling.  He’s genuinely awesome.  However, the art of professional wrestling is knowing when the time is right.  I struggle to believe that Cody will be as hot as he was last night again.  Yes, there were shenanigans, and he got cheated.  But it has all the stench of when HHH retained in 2000, despite it obviously being the time for Rock to win.  Wrestlemania is what most people remember, and it is certainly how casual fans interact with the product.  You had a chance to create a megastar in a night, and you chose to gamble to continue the story.

In many ways, I’m impressed that they had the balls to gamble.  I’m impressed that they trust that the fans are this invested in the Bloodline to keep this going.  But I can’t help but think they dropped the ball a bit.  Cody doesn’t need to go through adversity as some have hinted at.  The adversity is the 11 year career of trying to figure out his place. He's been through it.

Anyway, let’s see.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Advertisement

Yeah, bringing out the Demon for it made me think Finn was gonna win. Bit bollocks for me there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mad about Shane tearing his quad. Am sure there will be a lot of memes about it but that's wrestling for you. You can get hurt on something so minor as a leap frog. Only bad luck.

I wonder if the reported imminent sale is something to do with the decision to keep the title on Roman.

New buyers coming in may say they like the idea of starting this GOAT who's champion for close to 1000 days, especially if those buyers are the owners of UFC.

They are also getting into very dangerous territory.

They blow the biggest babyface pushes since Daniel Bryan and they did it TWICE IN TWO MONTHS.

It's getting to the point that him losing the title is getting more important than who actually beats him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

What a night for the McMahons.

Shane-O-Mac blows his quad.

Vincent "Price" McMahon returning to book us into a coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow I'm kinda glad now I didn't stay up for night 2, will Solo or Jey be the ones to dethrone Reigns?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And once again WWE put on a good weekend overall but gets overshadowed by only a couple of moments. Shane and Roman.

Apart from Jey, who can they use now? They have to build someone else up that the fans can believe in.

Any video of Solo taking the belt off Brodie?

There is a time and place for screwy endings in the main event and unless the face is going over, Mania is not it.

I'm going to put undeserved faith in the fact that they are going to pay this decision off at Summerslam or at WM40.

Truth be told, I'm far more annoyed that Sami didn't beat Roman. So last night when Cody didn't win, my anger came from the fact that I couldn't understand why Sami had to lose last month. If not Sami, then Cody.

What I wrote above (It's getting to the point that him losing the title is getting more important than who actually beats him) got me thinking. I felt like that about Cody once Sami lost and that wasn't a good enough reason to want to see Cody win.

The journey to WM was first class. If they gave a Cody v Roman story the same amount of time to cook, it could be amazing.

Still so fcuking angry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Who's going to jump Cody tonight to take him out of the title picture? Orton or Breakker? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,102 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think people are jumping the gun if they think the Cody v Roman story is done. I think they took the gamble that the story has legs, people are invested in the Bloodline, Roman can keep the momentum going and that Cody going through a bit of extra adversity could make the eventual moment even better.

I believe the intention is still for Cody to ultimately beat Roman. They just don't think he needs to be undefeated doing it. It's WWE thing of believing heat is the most important thing, so you should beat a babyface until they overcome the adversity. They did it with The Rock, but he was The Rock, so he got over despite the beatings. They stumbled upon it with Daniel Bryan, and it only worked because they'd screwed the fans so fúcking often with others that the fans just decided to not let that go until he won the big one. But they will think that formula worked.

They're likely testing to see if they can do the same with Cody, and they've the added benefit of knowing their top heel is a definitive draw, and the fulcrum of the best story WWE may have ever done, so they won't believe there is much of a risk.

Advertisement