Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2:UV Achtung Baby Live at the Sphere - Las Vegas - Fall 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

If he spent all those years setting up for Larry, likely his shoulder"s fecked too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fafy

Very true,

Stuart Morgan(bass tech), Dallas Schoo(guitar tech), Joe O Herlihy (sound) Sam O’Sullivan(drum tech), all had, or have, 30 + years with the band, as did ex manager Paul Mc Guinness, who stepped down in 2013.

That is highly unusual, as is the fact, that until the ‘23 Vegas gigs, only on one occasion ever, across more than 2,000 gigs, has any member missed a scheduled u2 gig, which was when Adam went on a binge, in late 1992, the night before, a big stadium gig, in Sydney.

Stuart Morgan had to “step in” that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

one of the many similarities they share with the Sugababes

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

Any idea what dates they will be playing Vegas or when this will be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Any guesses on what a ticket is likely to cost, like what sort of prices were Barbara Streisand,Mariah Carey and other artists charging in Vegas? Im guessing its going to be minimum $250 with way more again for seats up the front. Id still be tempted as Ive never been to Vegas and can get very cheap flights there through a friend. But reckon it will probably be almost impossible to get tickets, the hotels will probably block buy loads of them up for resale

• Advertisement

I'm afraid you could be right. I might have access to a pre-sale through the fan club but even that doesn't guarantee you tickets anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Good question. The last weekend in September was speculated as the opening show.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

Suggestions are the stint will consist of 12 shows in September. I have registered an “express my interest”. If I can get a ticket I’ll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Achtung Baby one greatest pop/rock records ever released. So Cruel is one greatest tracks in history.

The Fly is my favourite. The box set they did for the 20th Anniversary is the best thing they ever released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So cruel for me as well. I remember getting that CD and playing that song over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id put them exactly the same category as Britney Spears and Celine Dion tbh, I wasn't a bit surprised when I heard about this. Can't wait to see the disgusting ticket prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm a hardcore fan and have been debating with myself whether to go to this or not. What's turning me off is the fact that it's in Las Vegas. If it was New York, Chicago or any of the other major American cities I'd be happy to go as you could do plenty of sightseeing in addition to the gig. What the f*ck is there to see or do in Las Vegas though if you're not a gambling addict?

Vegas is fantastic, been there a couple of times, and I’m not a gambler. It’s a playground for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Vegas is a great spot for gigs with plenty to do outside of gambling. You can factor in a road trip top include a stay at the Grand Canyon or a few other national parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Mad theyre going ahead without LMJ. Its his band.

Can only think the venue/tech behind the dome show is so spectacular they can't help themselves.

I saw the Beatles "Love" show in Vegas - a bespoke venue. Utterly incredible and this setup proposes to make that look prehistoric by comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I get where your coming from in terms of Larry putting the advert up and getting them all together in the one room. But even Larry says his management lasted all of 5 minutes, until Bono walked into the room.

I'm a huge U2 fan and I've always admired their four legged table, equal pay stance. But, of late the band seems a bit divided to me and very much the Bono and Edge show.

The very same claims being made about the Sphere, in relation to sound quality, were also made for the 3arena when it was "purpose built" for performance too. I have seen several shows in there with brutal sound, including a couple of U2 gigs. Why soundman Joe O'Herlihy was set up on the floor off to one side was an absolute mystery to me! I'd be tempted to go see Achtung Baby in Vegas..... But I'm sure my enthusiasm will be quinched when the ticket prices are released!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The new album is very Acoustic coffee shop type reworks. Sounds OK but its still the originals for me

Its like a modern day 'MTV Unplugged'

'All I Want Is You' and 'Bad' did translate well tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Most reviewers seem to be giving it about 3/5 and I think that's fair. There are a few stand out tracks like Until the End of the World but mostly it's just middle of the road elevator music.

The Vegas show could be these songs with very fancy special effects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Wooderson

You could be right...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fafy

Not right, its the full Achtung baby album , non necessarily in order, and a cross section of other tracks

Hopefully they will do the original versions of the songs, not the SOS version of One for example. I don't like the version of Even Better Than The Real Thing that they have been doing on the last few tours either, the ZooTV version is much better.

The disney+ special with David Letterman is decent

Bit corny how it portrayed 'normal folk' got tickets to this exclusive show out of the blue.

Was this gig on the same week as Bonos Olympia show ? Thought I saw whispers about it on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

U2 are nothing without The Edge. He is their sound and a major part of their band! Can you tell me what a chord is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Zero interest in this.

Followed U2 all my life. One of the best and biggest bands of all time, with at least 3 amazing albums...

But U2 were always about their music principles. It's been going this way for awhile, but this is the final nail in the coffin for me. Sad to see. Expected more! It's not U2 without Larry.

Having said that, I enjoy some of the newer versions on this latest album. Two Hearts Beat As One, Stay and Lights of Home are my highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

No, the Ambassador show was closer to Christmas. I got an email as I'm in the fan club. It was apparently random selection for those who entered. Needless to say I heard nada back. I believe there was some lucky boarders here who were present. 100% mute on any details mind you. I'm looking forward to the documentary. I agree whole heartedly with the previous poster. U2 are not at the peak of their powers stripped down. Hopefully Larry and Adam will be back in action soon.

There isn't a single acoustic version of a U2 song that is better than the full band version. They played acoustic versions of Stay and Staring at the Sun for years but I still prefer the full electric versions. I think the Edge is one of the most innovative guitarists of all time but I don't find him particularly interesting with an acoustic guitar.

Ya, listened to some of the SoS, not for me I’m afraid. But if I can, I’d like to see them in LV, partly because AB is my favourite album, partly because it’s in LV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Kilteragh

No need to be precious. All about opinions isn't it? There are thousands of extremely talented musicians who have never made it big. I think U2 would never made it without Bono as a front man. That's open to debate like most musical discussions.

Advertisement