Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Sunjava

If any semblance luxury is provided the country will be flooded. It's an inevitability, if we provide they will come. It appears to be an impossibility to remove these people so they will become a permanent fixture, the influx needs to be reduced to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

The policies are superficial and relatively ineffective as individual policies, in Green policy terms, they are as effective as an additional cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Well we all know what kind of wine the advocates are going for anyway

”Can you believe those little imbeciles actually expect to get houses in their own country ahead of asylum seekers?? They’re all racist probably”

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Lofidelity

You're way off Furze. In 2022 alone, 237,000 non Irish gained pps numbers. Some are on work contracts etc and not permanent but the majority are staying around. Work visas, student visas, family reunification etc, there's lots of ways to get a foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

They just need to install a suitable Prime Minister who comes from outside the usual Dutch Political Establishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭mykrodot

nothing they do between now and the election will get my vote. They have had years to do this but they preferred to call us all Far Right racists and laugh at our concerns. I simply do NOT believe this Government. Helen McEntee is tone deaf and beyond arrogant in how she sees the general public, O Gorman is never interviewed, never has to explain, never appears on TV, Harris has taken over as the smart PR guy because he talks the talk. That's it.

I won't change my mind on this, way too many chances have been wasted, way too many of us called racists. This is electioneering, pure and simple!. They have blown their chances! Trust has been broken and it will be very hard to win people back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the one subset of people who can't get a PPS number are asylum seekers. 70,000 of these new PPS numbers went to Ukrainian people, 21,000 to Indian people, 16,000 to Brazilians, 12,000 to British etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They have blown their chances with you and with me too if truth be known, but unfortunately we have short political memories here Imv, who for instance would have believed Mr Martin a minister in a government who bankrupted the country would within a few short years assume the position of taoiseach (albeit half-taoiseach)... What are we like at all 🤔a country stuck in eternal adolescence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There are some posters in particular and their hearts don't really seem to be in it - Terrible arguments, rubbish stats/links etc

They reminded me of someone in a debating society that opens the envelope to read -

'You are to debate in the affirmative that Ireland is better with uncontrolled immigration'

And they think - 'Ah jaysus'

On to other things. It seems there's no problem with immigration according to the Montrosians. Report on CB radio this morning - 2 years of gaslighting which was an abject failure and they're still at it. It's frankly disturbing the level they went to today - It's like the Govt press secretary was in the editing suite helping to put the final edit together

They managed to put one dissenting voice on but with a heavy country accent and was difficult the hear properly

Listen at 1:34:30 - RTE…where truth, balance and impartiality go to die - And we have to pay these ***** to torture and abuse us this way!

There was a debate between Paul Treyvaud and some NGO head on the hard shoulder after 5pm today - Paul was not a happy puppy, spoke his mind and ripped into everything (our UKR friends included). Great speaker in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭the-island-man

I think the narrative lately has been a positive start. It finally seems to be sinking in that people aren't stupid, are not far right and are fairly pissed off.

However two things are not being acknowledged:

1. Cutting off the tap on a percentage of the Ukrainians before doing it for IP applicants risks having settled, somewhat integrated Ukrainians move out only to potentially have IP applicants take their place in the same accommodation.
    2. Is the category of individuals applying for asylum really important in the context of reported numbers applying for asylum? My thinking is family units applying for asylum is a much more accurate figure than single males\females applying as there may be a multiplier effect down the line if they are approved and their dependants are allowed to relocate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭tom23

I completely ignore RTE. No point. In the pocket of the Government and all that support them.

Also heard that other debate on the hard shoulder. It was good to hear an opposing view instead of the usual bollox of build more houses for the doctors and engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

all they need do when it boils down to it is make housing somewhat affordable to people. We all know why it won’t happen. Too much capital to be lost in Hyde prices falling. There are just such deep rooted fundamental problems in the country that the political will just hasn’t been there to even attempt to solve for decades now. Immigration is now the easy target for everyone who’s disgruntled but the problems are just a symptom of the workings of the whole western world it seems to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Photobox

Great Post. Exactly how I feel. The government narrative now that was once 'far right' is infuriating. Funny how there is election coming up. Honestly they think the electorate are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Harris now starting to question the logic of the discussion being constantly around "accommodation" it's always about accommodating them. Keeping the conversation in this lane suits the NGOs and the compliant thoughtless media. He'll be rounded on for this because he's beginning to eeke out an opening to discussing the real problem. We're attracting too many liars (whether that is by design I'm still not comfortable on)

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/bizarre-focus-on-accommodation-for-asylum-seekers-harris-says-1626431.html

"We also have to discuss why are so many more people coming to our country, and discuss that in the round"

It's too late for this commentary Simon. The trust is broken. I personally couldn't trust that if reelected they'd go straight back to this destructive policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭minimary

I mean accomodation/housing has been the biggest topic in the country for the last decade, I don't know why he thinks its "bizarre" that people are focusing on it when we're reportedly getting 30k asylum seekers this year (before any reunification) and never deport anyone. Its like adding water to a full bath and then wondering why the people downstairs are complaining about a flood

TBH its bizarre that it hasn't been a major issue before now.

Does anyone think that the Government will come to the conclusion we're getting so many more asylum seekers because of how great Ireland is and not what a soft touch our immigration service and myriad NGO's helping scammers stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Northernlily

68% of people between 26 and 34 are living at home. That's completely fucked and they decide to open our borders and make it a free for all unquestioned on top of that.

Gross incompetence and they have now ruined a whole generation of families, not just one person but siblings who will never have their own homes or live independent lives.

It's crazy how bad this Goverment has been. We can probably in time say the worst in the history of the state when the full damage appears in the form of ghettos and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭fran38

Lads,Ive told ye before but ye keep sticking yer heads in the **** sand. The reason the gov arent doing anything about it is coz its a **** plan. Coveney gave it all away by saying "we aim to have an extra million by 2030" yer all stupid ****. Wake the **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Ate they really planning on cutting down a 200 year old tree in Clonmel in order to clear the area for a migrant camp?

Thought tree felling wasn’t allowed between March and August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The "narrative" has certainly shifted in Europe so the musings from Harris are to be expected. 2 years ago the below suggestion would have you branded a "Nazi".

The biggest threat we have is how the NGO industry in Dublin will try to "lock in" through high court cases and influence within the ruling parties. It's clear they are losing the room in FF & FG but I see SF going the other way.

The thing is the NGO playbook is to influence people ie) your parliamentary party(pp) leaders and the people around them. These people can alway be dropped by the parties… and going by approval ratings of our current pp leaders, it's certainly going that way for their careers.

The age old mantra in Irish politics and Europe was

"it's all about the economy, stupid"

This is fast becoming, and rationally so by worldwide events

"it's all about immigration and security, stupid"

Our politicians will either adapt or remain Paddy last and have it forced on them

https://english.elpais.com/international/2024-05-16/fifteen-countries-ask-brussels-to-explore-creating-migrant-centers-outside-the-eu.html#

Post edited by _Puma_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭tom23

every single NGO that has been asked their opinion on or solution they give the same answer - build more

Have yet to hear any interviewer ask ‘how many do we accept before we say we can’t sustain this’ and the whole lot comes crashing down?

Why are there so many NGO’s in immigration all been funded with separate CEO no doubt on a wedge, all doing the same job, same message, same demands. Their clientele prioritised. Yer man from Dora’s was so out of touch it’s scary that these people get a platform. No doubt Lucky or Henderson will be next on with the same variation of a message.

I’ve said here before and some pro immigration seem to think it’s futile (i know it’s a form of been gaslit) but we need to be deporting. Quickly. I don’t care if this costs the taxpayer, but it has to be cheaper than an endless scramble for hotels and fields. And dividing small communities across the country by moving in IPAs and expecting to accept it and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

By non national do you mean non Irish? Or are you stripping all immigrants of their nationality?

Also, why is it okay in your scenario for irish people to go away to other countries for 10 years, but if somebody comes here it's not okay? I know the answer, just curious how you're going to justify it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Irish people who emigrate do so on work visas, they do not abuse the asylum system.

I don't know if any country would grant asylum to an Irish citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So if thats their “ plan “ why are they not planning ? Nothing in place , no plan , no preparation , no task force , not even a spreadsheet !
    They pay one lot to give out tents then pay another lot to scoop them and dump them . They flounder about cluelessly while NGO’s with skin in the game seemingly lead this farce

Where’s the plan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,603 ✭✭✭✭klose

Was talked about but it’s still standing today.

Last night the local protesters small camp was burned out, a marquee the workers in the field are working in was burned out, two security guards cars that were doing the night shift were smashed up and apparently one of the diggers on site was set on fire but no sure on that one.

Honestly the fact they are trying to put the units in a field beside one of the worst traveller settlements around is absolutely laughable because they will just keep recking the place. It’s only the second day of work and there’s already hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So by that logic legal migration is fine, right? And seeking asylum is legal too, so what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Hilarious that this nonsense is still being pedalled. Nobody has issues with people coming here to work, just like the Irish did when they went abroad. People have issues with randoms turning up looking for their benefits, and based on what has been seen all over Europe, lots of those that do (the majority statistically) end up never working and costing the host country money. Have a read of the University of Amsterdam study or look at the absolute mess in Sweden as a result. Far right propaganda I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Because people are seeking asylum when they are not genuine asylum seekers and are putting pressure on our processing and accommodation systems etc.

Seen as you’re so interested in the legality of everything I put it to you that it is an offence, illegal, to enter the state without documents. Do you agree in that case that everyone arriving illegally in that fashion should be jailed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭ECookie13

You're honestly talking to a brick wall. These people know there is a major difference, but this ridiculous argument is used consistently regardless even though there is no comparison. They will never admit it though.

Advertisement