Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Wouldn't such a PM be extremely divisive in any society though? He's literally admitting to being a racist and to having a major problem with one religion in his country. Also, the other three smaller parties in his coalition are all right wing / hard right too.

Can you imagine a Taoiseach announcing 'I am proudly anti-Semitic and consider the Jewish faith a scourge'.?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thornton Hall to be used now, why wasn't this developed for housing teachers, nurses and guards over the last 20 years. No lets just lash a load of tents on it. Also on the news it was talking about medical needs for those living in tents etc. Were we not told they are young fit men, they'd be no drain. This government deserve all they get, sad thing is it'll be us that pay and those arriving living in squalor and tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/state-owned-land-being-identified-for-asylum-seekers-as-grand-canal-tent-city-grows-taoiseach/a117399527.html

I'm not going to scroll back pages to see if this is posted but just caught this while on my lunch break…

Is Crooksling not already identified as a "safe and secure" location. Why are we/they looking for land to let them pitch tents. This really is madness. Sure lets gift them the Phoenix Park as a safe haven 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭tom23

These doctors and engineers need medical cards, can’t be having them getting sick and missing out on paying our pensions and building the FG 250k houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Lofidelity

Crooksling is probably full already. Same as the rural towns and villages. Theres hundreds arriving a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Not sure what the capacity at Crooksling is but the govt are in the process of developing 6 state owned sites around the country. I dont know if Crooksling is one of these.

Thats the problem.

Nobody knows because there is no communication from govt.

Harris is saying that an alternative camp site is being worked on now, but again, no details of where, what the capacity is, when it will be ready, when the next camp comes onstream and so forth.

I predict an absolute disaster by mid summer, sadly. 1000 tents in the city centre by then? quite likley if no suitable accom is found before end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭thomas 123

My thoughts have been well summarized by Kaiser above - but just posting to thank you for taking the time to reply at length.

I do agree with much of what you have said in your last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

only catching up but this is one of the greatest posts I’ve ever read.

Whoever you are more power to you

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Lofidelity

True. We will get no sympathy on the continent.

And only on Monday, Harris was saying the EU migration pact is going to take care of all this. Its not. What the pact is going to mean for Ireland is contributing hundreds of millions to other EU countries and accepting thousands more migrants.

The only way out is to tear up the 1951 convention and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

True..I have it in my head its the same majority of lads reappearing down by the canal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The voting public can choose to decimate the parties representation in the June elections, without substantial effects on our daily lives. But doing so will give the political system an all mighty kick up the arse. We'd soon see a lot of them changing their tune, not just in rhetoric but in actions.

Postman delivered the Sinn Féin Euro bumph today, 'Standing up for Ireland' or something it headlines. I read it out and we both laughed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

At least Thornton Hall would give some capacity. Its a big site.

Hoe many beds are they expecting it to deliver do we know?

They really need to include wraparound services and move the IPO processing centre out to Thornton hall or similar.

So that asylum seekers dont need to keep trekking back into town for appointments etc and ultimatley camping in the city centre anyway, because its easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Lots of towns/villages with empty town houses. We need to give grants to builders/developers to take in international applicants. Then we need to advertise our good deeds to the rest of the world so they come here.

We used to have 8.5 million here during the famine, the Irish immigrated everywhere bla bla bla.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Funny that .

I agree with all you have said there and often do, but disagree on some aspects of immigration .

Credit to you though as a good, thoughtful poster .

When are you running for election ? ;)

One thing you forgot to mention there ...

We became members of the EEC which up to recently has been lauded as helping our country both financially and socially to where it is today , as you say yourself .

Now people who don't want 'interference' politically don't mention the EU or only in negative terms .

As members of a beneficial grouping of countries we also have some duty to others . We cannot take benefits and shirk any responsibility towards the group

But I agree that our own need to be looked after in all of this .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No, I agree and certainly in its initial incarnation, the EEC was a benefit to not just ourselves but its members as a whole.

However, in more recent times it's becoming an increasingly two-tier institution and overreach into domestic politics and policy is a concern. As per my earlier post, fundamentally nations will do what's right for them and their people and this is simple fact.

There IS no shared "EU(ropean) identity" for most of its citizens. The only history there is is mostly bad or distrustful (decades of Cold War and 2 World Wars before that will do that) and we saw in the Financial Crisis where the priorities and decisions were made - not so good for the PIIG nations (ourselves included) though!

There are Germans, Italians, French, Irish and the rest who are MEMBERS of the EU but only insofar as the benefits of not needing to exchange currency when they travel, job options etc etc. There's nothing wrong with that either. As I said, as a trade body it works well but the grand notion of a US of E federal super state is exactly that, a notion. There are just too many inequalities and differing national politics for it to ever work and even the US of A is becoming increasingly unstable in recent times.

The more they push it, the more they allow destabilising issues like this one to damage what cohesion there is, the quicker it'll likewise fragment. In my view it needs a reset to that earlier, primarily trade-based configuration. It's when the politicians started getting notions of grandeur that the problems started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

The best thing i saw was that UN goon Olivia Headon saying she doesn’t think Ireland is full, all while handing out tents and helping refugees set up a campsite on the grand Canal again.

The irony completely lost on her!

The education systems need serious looking at because these people coming out of university’s are absolutely Braindead.

Doesnt think the country is full, while in front of they’re very own eye’s hundreds of people with nowhere to go! Wtf

@pc7 said ...

"Thornton Hall to be used now, why wasn't this developed for housing teachers, nurses and guards over the last 20 years. No lets just lash a load of tents on it. Also on the news it was talking about medical needs for those living in tents etc. Were we not told they are young fit men, they'd be no drain. This government deserve all they get, sad thing is it'll be us that pay and those arriving living in squalor and tents."

It's too far out for any of the people you mention but yes it should have been used before now .

But good place for an centre , near the airport .

Medical needs =a gp or a nurse for a few hours a week .

And as BlueSkyDreams says above IPO facilities.

(Quote function not working )

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The people who benefitted from 8.5 million renting and subdividing tiny plots of land to live off potatoes sure do want that to happen again so they can make bank on it.

The good old absentee landlords and their government shills.. 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What about all of the empty homes and buildings that could be used but aren't? There was a council house just up the road from my parents that was empty for over 4 years and finally somebody got to move in a few months back. But what a waste in the interim. That's what people mean by saying Ireland isn't full.

I really don’t think We can build or fix up propertys or buy all the houses for sale in the country out of this problem.

The number of people needing these resources will always outstrip whatever supply is going to be available.

And when you look at Global Desertification, (land /soil) turning to desert we havent even hit the tip of the iceberg yet. There’s literally hundreds of million’s of people going to be in serious trouble in the coming years.

Civilisation has been here before, Rising population’s & deteriorating resources.

Ok . Fair enough .

Think it has been a great boon to us socially and helped us along the way of getting rid of the yoke of the RCC on our country along with workers and human rights and equality legislation. Education also and the option of Erasmus and other help for people to study on the continent has improved access in Ireland to third level over the last few decades.

I agree that we need to take a more nuanced approach to some of the federalisation especially now with immigration law and militarisation .

We have already taken a hit " for the team " as it were , post the crash when older German bondholders were spared at the expense of years of austerity for our country .

And more recently the tax harmonisation and interference in our corporate business dealings .

So don't think we are under any compliment any more .

However , I would not like us to de- couple from it (baby and bathwater ) . Be interesting to see how Denmark's situation pans out amongst the rest of the EU .

Hope they don't go the way of UK .

County councils need a real hard looking at. There management is beyond hopeless. Way too many people all doing the same job.

There’s houses laying vacant for month’s here in Tipperary Town. They really need to pull the finger out.
    Or else have the housing side of things taken away from them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There is already huge money and demand chasing homes for buyers, and yet much of these houses have not been renovated yet.

The idea that they'd all get done for asylum seekers now instead is not realistic. All that will get delivered in the near term will be existing buildings having a change of use (hotels → direct provision). Vacant houses and derelict buildings will not be used for asylum seekers anytime soon

Well leaving out the deserts , it's a shame that more has not been done to help people repair and move in to unused derelict homes .

Maybe if this had been addressed we would have less of a pushback about refugees .

The dereliction grant needs to be extended and should have been brought in years before it was.

Also would love to know how much " vacant property tax" was ever collected from landowners in this country .

It is this type of petty stuff that has been degrading our country's property market for years now all to benefit the same rich landowners who are mainly FF/ FG voters .

Its passing laws that are never enforced . Just to say "we have laws against this"!

I never thought we would find common ground Goldengirl. But your bang on here.

Advertisement