Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

To be fair I don't speak for everyone and clearly not for you.

My views though would be shared by a great many fellow citizens.

It's a topic of sufficient importance that we should hold a national vote on it. And let that steer future policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

a national vote on what? we already have a multicultural society so this isn't something that can be changed

To halt and reverse this process. We do not already have a widespread multicultural society. So I will not accept an argument that we should just throw our hands in the air. It's time to stop and reverse this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

High GDP and low unemployment rates mean nothing if you are not allowed to work. The draw therefore is the allowance to work after six months which was a change introduced by the supreme Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, it's very much already the policy that unfolds in practice — the majority of refugees are in poor or lower income countries. While the outbreak of the Ukraine War will have upwardly skewed the figures of refugees hosted in the "first world" the reality is that, for the most part, most refugees aside from those who fled Ukraine are found in places like Turkey, Pakistan, Bangladesh Saharan/sub-Saharan Africa.

So if you see it as a solution, then you should be a happy man — because those are the countries bearing the real brunt of refugee crises, not us.

• Advertisement

20% of our population is foreign born. We would have to leave the EU etc. if you wanted no more foreign people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Thanks for the spiel on multiculturalism but I meant part of our communities in the sense that the IPAs living here now will for the most part be staying.

With your strong feelings on multiculturalism what alternative do you have for the people already here, and the more who will arrive?

I think for the most part the larger number of IPAs who came here in the early noughties have settled and integrated very well.

If you look at the article I shared previously, the biggest factor is still people arriving because of close contacts and families.

High GDP and low unemployment also are broader indicators of a strong economy where one's children might be successful or other opportunities will be available.

See here for a report on people living undocumented in Italy, largely working in the shadow economy or begging. Numbers living like this are expected to reach 700k from research cited in the article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/denied-asylum-but-not-deported-migrants-in-europe-live-in-limbo/2019/08/07/1b9f3082-a4ad-11e9-a767-d7ab84aef3e9_story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Will0483

These camps are paid for by Western governments and NGO's so not applicable. It just means that taxpayers in the developed world pay for most African countrie's entire budgets as very little tax is paid in those places.

I have no time for China for many reasons but do admire them in terms of how they protect their own culture and prioritise policies that benefit their own self interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

You will never be given a vote on that. Because they know the answer, and they don't like it.

Annihilation at the ballot box is coming for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The global population is far more mobile than it was 50 years ago or even 30 years ago. It was inevitable that we would see much greater movement of people across borders once air travel became widespread and relatively inexpensive. It would be nigh on impossible to return to the homogenous societies of the 1950s - the days when 90% plus of your population are the same nationality and ethnicity are long gone, especially for wealthy countries.

Also, the entire nature of emigration and immigration has changed. People can move to a country for a year or so, then move on somewhere else or return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

We should be giving them more so they can spend it on jocks. You couldn't make it up

You definitely don't speak for everyone and judging by this thread, i don't think the majority agree with you.

We have had referendums on relatively trivial things so the Government will need permission from the people to continue this experiment with importing hundred's of thousands of foreigners from outside the EU with no end in sight.

If no permission is asked, you can expect many, many local groups to take matters into their own hands.

I don't agree with mob rule by the way but I do believe in democracy so would like to any fundamental changes in Irish society to be decided by the ballot box not by NGO's captured by the extreme left and funded by the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Very true, however just because that is the normal now, doesn't mean that ot will continue to be the norm. Things can change and change very rapidly.

The majority of IPA's here are clearly bogus as there is no war taking place in the UK or NI last time i checked or in any other EU country that the IPA's have passed through.

Therefore, I very much disagree with your statement that they will be staying here as they have no right to and should be deported at the earliest opportunity.

If a Government can't protect it's borders, it has utterly failed and should be removed.

Once we start deportations, very few will bother paying smugglers to cross the entire continent of Europe to settle in a cold, rainy country at the edge of Europe.

What's your source for saying that IPA's from previous years have integrated well?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭DaSchmo

Seeing on X / Twitter now that Belfast high court has ruled this morning that UK illegal migration act and Rwanda scheme does not apply in the north. I don't have a media link for it just yet. Not sure what this means in practice, obviously the unionists don't like this. Will it slow the pace of people crossing the border into this part of Ireland now?

How successful do you think these mass-deportations will be?

Meloni's Italy has only managed to complete 19% of deportation orders, the majority of which are to North African countries.

For sub-Saharan countries and other parts of the world, deportation rates are less than 10%.

Like I said, most people here now will be staying. Have you some alternative to trying to integrate these people, broadly as we've done before?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/denied-asylum-but-not-deported-migrants-in-europe-live-in-limbo/2019/08/07/1b9f3082-a4ad-11e9-a767-d7ab84aef3e9_story.html

And we don't have to accept this. We are a sovereign nation, we can make our own decisions, if the will is there. I don't accept this argument that we are at the total mercy of global change etc. That's far too convenient.

I and many others don't need or want a society in Ireland that is a mish mash of multiple cultures and religions sitting uneasily cheek by jowl. If I want to see the fine cultures of China, Poland, Georgia, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Syria or wherever, then I'm more than happy to go visit those regions and experience it there. That is what travel is about, experiencing different cultures in their home places.

We don't want or need the MacDonaldisation of Irish society, so lets stop it.

it doesn't matter if they agree with me, i'm just making the point that we are now a multicultural society and that is never going to change even if we stopped all non EU immigration forever. just look at schoolkids nowadays, the surnames and mix of races, all over the country. this isn't something you can vote away.

unfortunately for you you already live in a society where all these nationalities live cheek by jowl, and that's how the country will be going forward. and mentioning poland ffs they've been here in massive numbers for 20+ years at this stage, what ireland do you even live in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Maybe they meant that the people that need educating on why people are cominh here are Roderick O Gorman and Helen mc Entee. That might really quell the emergence of a far right capitalising on lack of action on a legitimate cause of public concern.

No, I again reject your 'fait accompli' argument.

Irish people are waking up to this change now and it's time to stop the rot.

Ok so how are you going to change us back to the monocultural society you desire then?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭pauly58

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/penneys-security-guard-jailed-sex-32796938 What did your one say on the news, absolutely no evidence immigration will lead to an increase in crime. Then there's the lads , shooting themselves with full blown assault rifles.

Ireland is heading for exactly the same as happens in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

We're not. No one expects to do that. We just don't want to increase it infinitely.

the guy i was responding to said he wanted to reverse and halt the process of multiculturalism, i was just wonder how he's going to get rid of all the non-irish cultures that have been embedded in the country for quite a while now, because like it or not, we're quite a multicultural society now

You're making the mistake of thinking that just because we have failed to do something in the past that this failure will be allowed to continue.

Humans have solved transport between countries with millions of people arriving and departing from Europe every day.

The only thing lacking is political will which appears to be coming into place.

We as a people can do anything with the right mindset. Meloni is just getting started and anyway this problem will only be solved at EU level. Individual member states are just moving the problem around so can only reduce the impact on their own country.

Their is no point in trying to integrate people who have no interest in integration as has been seen throughout Europe over the past few decades.

Who said I desired a monocultural society? I, myself lived in Spain for many years, learned the language and paid my taxes. The people there were very welcoming and I made an effort to integrate as best i could.

I have no problem with EU migration provided we deport criminals and benefit scroungers as we are legally entitled to do even in the EU.

It has been long established that 3rd world migration is a huge drag on Government finances and does not beneft the receiving country. Hence, we should limit numbers as much as possible.

There are some genuine AS who mainly arrive in Greece and Italy. They should be shared amongst the member states by population share and speedily processed.

All economic migrants who are 90% plus of the numbers should not be given any support once adjudged to not be an AS.

i was responding to someone else who said we need to reverse what has happened in ireland RE other cultures being here, not you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Interesting article(Not paywalled) from EL PAÍS regarding EU opinions on Immigration, Ukrainian War and Climate change.

"Europeans view immigration with increasing suspicion. Seven out of 10 Europeans believe that their country takes in too many migrants, according to a survey carried out by BVA Xsight for ARTE Europe Weekly, a project led by the French-German TV channel ARTE GEIE and which EL PAÍS has participated in, as part of the countdown to the European elections in June. "

Poll conducted by ARTE(Middle left source) and GEIE (Groupement Européen D'intérêt Économique, or in English the European Economic Interest Grouping).

Poll was carried out between March 27 and April 9 in the 27 member states, where 22,726 people from the ages of 15 and over were interviewed.
    7/10 people expressed concern with the levels of immigration into their respective country(in the EU). Similar high number of 80% of people in Ireland expressing concern with how many A/S are coming into Ireland.

Astonishing some posters here are completely deaf-tone or unaware that the public aren't onboard with this unannounced policy to allow 20- 30k people per year into our country on the tax payers watch.
    Happily, say that the big majority of people in Ireland and across the EU are level headed with the reality of this madness.

NGO's across Ireland and the EU have way too much financial, political power. They're unsustainable, unrealistic and completely adamant to continue this huge migration push into Ireland and the EU.
    What's once the EU, a farming, defence, travel and trade union has now morphed into this power mad pro left open border ideology that imo will bring this union down.
    As Merkel & Cameron mentioned before live on camera that unfortunately multiculturalism simply doesn't work, we still plough on during housing/rent crisis cramming as many people into hotels and now private landlord houses…

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

Advertisement