Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

The the State is unable to provide accommodation then the payment exceeds the DEA payment provided to asylum seekers in State accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post represents what is wrong with this thread .

This is a typical example of a right wing poster trying to justify misogyny and othering of an ENTIRE group of people, in this case saying they are" middle aged, middle class women" , and this iin order to demonise a group or whole group of people .

Why would or should it be a problem if it was as described ?

But how you come to the conclusion that that is so is based on some very dubious rational along with a few other equally dubious and heavily misogynistic posts by others .

But crucially this poster says the poster he (I presume seeing as he is attacking women ) is replying to , is not providing evidence in their replies .

Where is the evidence for any of what you are saying here ,whatever , besides an obvious bias against said groups of people and a very childish grasp of sociology ?

And trying to conflate NGOs (again wide group , who in particular are you talking about ?) The Government and Nazis ...well that's just sheer nonsense.

But that's all you have got isn't it , as well as a host of undiscerning posters' likes for a particularly poorly put together post .

Not only is this jumping the shark on a pretty disgusting bit of women bashing , it is a bit silly really .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭suvigirl

This again, Yeah they won the lotto.

How about sanitary products, razors, deodorant, underwear, socks, clothes. Perhaps they might get thirsty/hungry outside of mealtimes, maybe they might need some snacks or drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭nachouser

The problem I have with that is that I work with many different nationalities and I have no idea what their status is. Did they come here illegally and then get work? I dunno. Did their parents come here illegally and then get status and therefore their kids can now work here? I dunno. I wouldn't dream of asking why the Indian, Brazilian, Polish, African etc people I work with are different to the likes of those who you arrogantly call "chancers and scammers."

Bang of "yeah, but where do you really come from?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

We won’t though, because f all are being jailed bar a couple of token efforts

We’re already well past the point where we could’ve made a statement on this. Our system is fair but firm, do not take the piss or you’ll be gone in an instant. The horse has bolted.

How is this" NGO led ?

Did you not just ask how it came about ?

It doesn't matter in the bigger picture, because even if someone is jailed for the offence, it's not going to be any longer then a few weeks, that they will cost the state money, and then once released, they are straight into the asylum system. It's solves nothing.

All beaches are subject to that no trespass rule in Ireland afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Do you think the risk of immigration dividing the EU, as suggested by numerous serious political commentators, is ridiculous too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's no value at all in taking in increased corporation taxes to then piss it away on propping up a growing immigration industry. As it is, it's like a slush fund and one being used to damage our country, culture and it's citizens.

Maybe another crash is needed to bring the state to it's senses. Tighten the belt, cut all the fat out of the public services, stop wasting money on non nationals & vanity projects - concentrate on the essentials that the Irish public need.

Not a message that some here like to read I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭airy fairy

€38 worth of deodorant, razors a week?

These extras are provided for when in state accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭gerogerigegege

I believe in concentrating on what our country and our people need.

I don't agree with buying private housing for asylum seekers at all.

The rest is a bit too nihilistic for my taste .

We don't need or want another recession , just a change of direction which is on the cards no matter who is in power at this stage .

I don't believe you actually do want that really either .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Heather Humphreys is only now asking the Attorney General what exactly our international obligations are..... Surely we should know what these are long before now.

Is this simply an optics exercise where the government can shrug their shoulders and say well we tried our best or is it scrambling to get votes because they've finally read the room.

Are they? Food and drinks are available 24/7? Soap, deodorant, razors, everything is supplied? Are you sure….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You would think so since the government and their supporters have been shouting about "international obligations" since this blew up in their faces. Nothing but a tactic to try suppress any opposition like calling everyone far right

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A reminder that some of these guys going around sticking cameras in people's faces and harassing the public/asylum seekers are unstable and dangerous.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/05/12/independent-councillor-says-she-feared-for-her-life-after-she-and-her-husband-were-attacked/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Some guy on the program called The week in Politics said there is a draw from them to came here and we have to figure it out why.

It looks to on again on RTE 1 +1 at 00.35. It's near the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

We do have a lot of islands off our coast, they should be set up to accommodate the immigration issue, keep them all in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Jeff2

So it was Jim o'Callaghan TD who said that

"obviously Ireland has a pull factor that is drawing people here but we haven't identified what that is but we certainly need to address it."

That was his words on RTE TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Funny someone mentioned on here Surinder Singh route a few pages back

I was walking past a Pakistani solicitors office in my town the weekend and seen this particular service advertised on the window

The more brazen fraudsters we allow in the more services will pop up to facilitate this stuff.

Whats happening here is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

How stupid is that man, we can all see what the draw is, except him and our incompetent government. Should have addressed it 20 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Looks like the European elections will be interesting

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Must not be a nice feeling for someone lugging all their plastic bottles down to their nearest supermarket for a few euro in tax returned to them coming home watching brand new hundreds of plastic tents being launched into the back of a skip.

Even more so when the taxpayer is paying the bill for the tents and the disposal of said tents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's ok, the Greens will introduce a tent tax or a tent return tax. Some little soundbite to that effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭REDBULL68

Marno21 ,that's a great post, and so very true 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭whatever.

I refute that and would firmly say it addresses everything in your post comprehensively despite the fact it was already off topic as you say

I'll remind you the world has different time zones. It is the content you should always address, would focusing on the time be 'othering' or is it a resplendent display that your cross has the hermatic seal of muslin

If the quality of the response falls below what you would put forth than I expect you shall with ease refute with citation

You keep repeating that females stop mentally developing at 15, you introduced this, you are repeating this, nobody else.

Psychology tells us that if one introduces a statement like this it is because they believe it, they are thinking it and they want others to acknowledge it.

I stated that educational paths diverge at 15 and that a persons logical knowledge gained thereafter would also diverge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Will0483

Australia has basically stopped all illegal boat crossings from Vietnam and Indonesia. Indonesia in particular is quite close to both the NT and WA.

The vast majority of people claiming asylum arrive on student visas from China and Malaysia so are a completely different cohort than what Ireland receives.

The Government has now won a court case allowing them to indefinitely detain failed asylum seekers who are refusing to cooperate in their deportation.

Australia is signed up to the same international treaties so Ireland could easily do this as well. Then we wouldn't lose track or ask to self deport. We would be doing our European partners a service if we ensured they were deported back to their country of origin.

If this policy requires some sort of camp in the Curragh or elsewhere, so be it as their is plenty of space in the country.

Advertisement