Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Their attitude towards their women is very similar to our culture . Their work ethic and how the look after their homes . Their integration with local communities and their willingness to adjust .
    I have worked with Polish people and with Philippino people and they have a lot in common with our culture

My neighbours are Polish and are fully part of the community here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I could randomly pick 5 Irish people and their work ethic wouldn't be the same but you are going to tell me the entire nation of Poland has the same work ethic as Ireland?

Really?

I mean really?

🤣🤣🤣

As you well know I am speaking in general and about those I know

Of course you knew that but choose to mock and laugh . I dont engage with that kind of manners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭tom23

ah **** - does that mean we won’t be getting anymore doctors and engineers? will this effect our pensions now?

• Advertisement

The majority of our newly practising doctors are foreign. So we are ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

nearly all doctors leave for a bit but nearly all come back, i live with one and almost all her graduation class went to australia and UK but almost all of them are back now. you can gain great experience in different health systems around the world and this really helps you further your career when you're trying to become a consultant in ireland

so the whole our doctors are leaving in droves thing is a bit of a red herring, they are alright but only temporarily, i mean if you had the choice to further your training anywhere in the world you can see why they do it as a rite of passage

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41073995.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

As Blue said above re doctors ..

And by engineers most people would be talking about those in IT /Tech .

And as both would be immigrants not AS , so outside the remit of this thread .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the polish were mentioned a page or two ago by someone complaining that they don't want to live in a mish mash of multiculture and mentioned polish people along with a few other nationalities. that's what got us here today.

• Advertisement

Agree 100%>

Political game playing among the parties in coalition ensuring one group gets as much of the blame as possible.

See Darragh O'Brien hiding away through all this , as if housing was not an issue before asylum seekers were and offering nothing ..

Yes, agreed.

Harris seems to promote all govt departments working together, which is a good thing of course.

But will it happen in reality. I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭baldbear

I wonder what employment areas are international protection applicants entering.

I know the food delivery business is one but was thinking can they enter into the security business whilst there applications are been processed? Surely if you don't have your proper ID documents you aren't allowed work in security?

If applications are successful they could work in any industry, providing they are qualified.

We could certianly do with some help in construction, health and hospitality!

I didn't ascribe not because consider it close to the bone but because it was so off the mark as to be like" a balding, middle aged , woman- hating male 's fantasy " it made me uncomfortable to be honest , bringing that attention in my direction .

/s.

.not really... just an example of how it's not so nice when that particular stereotype is rolled out in the opposite direction .

Maybe stay away from the stereotypes when you so obviously don't know what you are talking about ..

You can't even name the NGOs you are talking about in that post nor be specific about who those people are you are trashing , so it is misogyny because there is nothing factual about your comments .

Just a load of bloated codswallop dressed up to look as if you understand whatever ..you are talking about .

I didn't ask you to speak in general. I was asking specifically what about their culture is the same as ours.

I even gave the the examples of shared languages or history.

So non generally speaking what about the polish culture is the same as the Irish culture there now boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭dmakc

??

I think you'll find that "doctors and engineers" is not an obsession, but a rebuttal to the other "side of the argument", stemming from claims by Leo et al. The same man also known for "St Patrick was an immigrant".

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭engineerws

For example, someone may wish to keep their passport while pretending to have lost it. They could then seek asylum without fear of their true identity being known and declare their name is Strasda or whatever.

It's unknown to me if anything like that has happened but I find people feigning stupidity hard to abide and felt compelled to answer.

What it does mean is that NI will be the destination for more from UK , and also that if we do judge people as not eligible here and they have come via NI , they can be returned there, doesn't it ?

Similarly nurses and teachers .However with the rental and housing market the way it is those few years are stretching longer and longer .

• Advertisement

It's whataboutism and it's never used as a rebuttal.

I reckon the only time this lame slogan was used properly as a rebuttal was me a few posts ago.

🤷🏿‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭engineerws

Culture is a general term. There is still quite a big pub culture in Ireland but many don't drink alcohol in pubs etc.

Might be worth reviewing some books on English language to help you communicate more effectively.

I don't think anyone has a problem with those groups already established and working here . Many groups came in as EU members so as iamwhoiam stated have integrated pretty well .

We all have difficulties with the housing situation and nobody wants to see our own being passed over for newcomers who have yet to contribute anything to our country .

People also have an issue with those they think are sponging and will not integrate .(Let's face it we already have a real problem with some of our own who behave in that way .)

But if these people were found to be genuine refugees , and anyone else deported , and those accepted integrated and obliged to work ,/ pay taxes after a stipulated time and this was enforced ..

Also before citizenship granted new applicants should show how they are integrating ...language culture, schools , work , paying their way , with their adopted country like in the US

.. would it then be more acceptable to the majority ?

It is the practice in other countries after all , and quite accepted/acceptable .

I know a lot of 'ifs 'there .

But this has been so disgracefully handled by our government it is they as a whole who should be blamed for any problems or issues , not just one or two weak links in government and not the genuine Asylum seekers themselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Augme

The geography and make up of Austrailia is very different so comparisons are really easy. Ireland could easily do that as well, what's the benefit? Any idea on the numbers of people who are refusing to cooperate with their deportation? My concern is, austrailia has developed plenty of novel ideas to stop asylum seeker and spent billions on them, problem is the number of asylum seekers hasn't reduced.

Given they're so rich, one really does wonder why they even bother coming here. Why do you think they come here then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Augme

Are you saying we should make it illegal for Muslim people to enter and live in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Terrier2023

How come there is not one single elected official who can stand up in the Dail and say we need to stop the flow and turn back anyone arriving after a certain date. Where is the back bone. Refuse them, cut the benefits stop giving them tents just turn them around at the airport |& the port

. Any immigrant who has a skill applies for a visa and gets in for that skill then we would get our health workers and less of the jihadi aggressive types. Rebel news dida piece on the migration crisis in Ireland and the one migrant he spoke to was disgusting and vulgar & aggressive not here to work at all. he was here for menace nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I find it extraordinary how some posters here can spend so much time sitting on the fence, it must be a right pain in the butt.

It is untenable to on one hand broadly support our quite dysfunctional immigration system, whilst in the next breath criticise the government for not doing a better job with the knock on effects associated with the same dysfunctional immigration system they defend.

Hypocrisy is the word for this carry on.

Not confined to here by any means either. Plenty of examples of politicians on the air waves over recent days at the same thing. Hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sad to think that many genuine seekers of asylum from war, hate, homophobia, rape, and so on cannot afford to seek sanctuary here or anywhere. They are stuck where they are due to poverty and lack of means. I feel for them more than anything, even though I realise we can't help the entire world either.

Asylum/IP (other than Ukraine type intakes) appears to be only achievable if you are wealthy or have connections I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sunjava

Political correctness and inability to make difficult decisions...fear of being labelled far-right (lol).

There is no courage in Irish society, nobody willing to be a bit nasty to get things right. A good example is Roy Keane and Saipan, he stood up and took action when he felt there was no other option. It split the country, it wasn't clear cut, but he has backed up his feelings over the years. Keane, undoubtedly one of our great leaders (in a sporting sense). There is no one in Irish public life making anybody accountable. I lamented Vincent Browne absence from the debate, he was able to cut through the bull, unafraid to upset people. Then again, I think the world has changed a lot in the past 5yrs since he left the screen...there is even less tolerance for differing opinions, and unfortunately there's been a massive increase in the nonsense (in my opinion).

• Advertisement

i find it sad and frustrating that genuine asylum seekers like you mentioned are not given the chance and care they need because they get lumped in with the chancers and financial migrants

This is an urgent matter that should be dealt with by an effective system but unfortunately our government were ill prepared once again and nothing put in place to ensure those in real need get priority

Advertisement