Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Most of these cases are hotels no longer being contracted to house Ukrainians, and instead move IPAS in.

The Ukrainians are getting shafted in favour of IPAS basically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Couldn’t stopping only certain people on the bus or train be classed as racial profiling?

Did they ask every passenger on the bus that the journalist was on who they were and where they were going? If I had only the price of a bus ticket and got on that bus with no phone or no ID, would they just accept that I am who I say I am? If a man of Middle Eastern appearance was sat beside me with only a bus ticket, would he get the same treatment as I?

I’m not trusting the info being released if I’m honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

In the news last week about Ukrainian refugees who are two years living and well integrated in Drumshambo being moved out of their accommodation to make room for IPA's

• Advertisement

Which debunks the “they are tenants” line. If they were tenants, they would have to be given the correct notice time based on how long they’d been there. They could also appeal the decision and if they chose not to leave, a court order would have to be required to remove them. 18 months to 2 years to get to court order stage 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭ooter

They can move Ukrainians in to modular homes that don't require planning permission, maybe that's the thinking behind it?

People are more sympathetic to Ukrainians in my experience, less so with the asylum shoppers. They probably don't want to take the risk of being told to turf Ukrainians out and replace them with ipa applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Arresting them and bringing them "back across the border" effectively means bringing them to the border and instructing the PSNI to bring them somewhere and instructing the British government to accept their return. Good luck with that.

What's interesting here as well is that you refer to left wing ideologies ruining Europe when it is the current right leaning Tory party in government with all its hardline sentiments on immigration who are the ones gleefully promoting the use of the border to allow migrants passage to Ireland.

How is the right wing Italian government getting on at making all those easy fixes that the loony Left refused to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No. It is a legal right for anyone at the Frontier of the state to claim asylum, they must be admitted. Now, maybe there is an odd person doing something dodgy and not letting them in, but they're breaking the law and running a serious risk to their job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AFAIK, unfortunately no, we can't do this, due to the Geneva Convention.

I would be happy if somebody might confirm or clarify my understanding.

We should be able to do this, but a 70 year-old convention prevents us.

Maybe we need updated "international obligations", that were not written to deal with vast numbers of non-genuine illegal immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No .Have checked it on other devices , and

a) it doesn't work ..

b) that link address leads to an foreign site that says this link does not exist .

I know what is on the IRISH statutes for this so I suggest it is you that has the problem .

Anyway this is you dragging up your post from a few days ago here which was incorrect in the first place !

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A particular concern would be Irish black or Muslim people being targeted merely because they had crossed the border for leisure or work purposes. It would not be cool if they felt they were being singled out by the authorities because of their skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ok thanks...and I thought as much too.

So who are the 50 people that the Gardai returned to the UK? And why did none of them simply claim asylum? I am sure they were planning to do so in Dublin for benefits etc.

I am not sure I believe what the government are telling us.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Sorry, I can't answer you, and your question is why I am unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

So if we've had 141 600 immigrants up to April 2023 and 107 800 the year up to April 2022...

and simon harris is telling us to expect a mere 13-16 000 p.a .. then something is seriously out of hoc.

Am i understanding this correctly .. ( i heard him on the tv just a day or 2 ago giving the above figures ) .. so simon harris imagines we have 100+% less immigrants entering the country than we actually have ?

i mean, shouldnt someone tell the man whats going on ?!

I know Mr martin is busy with Palestine.

Is it only us on Boards thats aware of this discrepancy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You can't believe anything from this government. We have seen time and time again that this government have no problem putting out misleading information as we saw during the 2 failed referendums. They have done a complete 180 on the rhetoric regarding immigration, previously anyone who spoke out against their policies or lack there of were labelled right wing, racists and other labels, now with an election coming and more people voicing concerns over immigration the rhetoric has changed.

Maybe enda's mate with the 2 pints might be able to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

What do you mean . Ukrainians are getting turfed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Oh you’ve seen nothing yet, wait till half the population of Palestine realises they can come here or realise that Pakistan alone grows its population by same size as all of Ireland year after year

• Advertisement

Used to be a dedicated group of AGS just for this purpose up to a few years ago .

About 100 .

They were reduced gradually until now there are officially only two AGS chiefly on office duties until recent weeks when the "asylum seekers chiefly coming over the border " story kicked off .

This was a political choice because of Brexit and our negotiations re the Irish border , along with complacency and lack of forethought as usual .

Now it is brought back to the fore in media and political attention and so that is why the checks are being ramped up again.

(I say this is a " story " because as far back as a year ago the fact that the majority of asylum seekers were not coming through the airports but were travelling from Belfast was highlighted here on this thread by the posters who are deemed to be Pro immigration . But this was ignored by others until now )

Border checks have always necessary because of smuggling and people entering illegally but it was not politically expedient at the time .

It is now ..optics is right, Cluedo .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭prunudo

no denying it. Its blatantly obvious its about the election. Tv camera's at the check point, journalists already on the bus. I don't know who they think they are fooling. And the most ridiculous part, if they find someone claiming asylum, they have to accept them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Be good if our government actually for once put the needs of Irish citizens first and foremost.

Get the Gardaí out from behind the desk and manning the border and refusing entry to any non Irish or British citizen who doesn't have the correct visa and identification. Oh we'll hear the roars that you can't do that but we should suck it and see. What's the worst that can happen, other EU states actually agree? And do the same.

Not everyone coming to Ireland seeks asylum! There are thousands every year who are refused entry.

The 13k-16k bogus AS are a small share of total immigration.

There is also:

• returning Irish
    • UK
    • EU
    • non-EU on student visas
    • non-EU on work visas
    • UKR refugees

Which part of this are you finding difficult to understand, maybe a poster can help you out…..

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Why? If I was in another majority non-White country and a White skinned person committed a crime and there was a hunt underway for them, I'd have no issues in being questioned by police in order to apprehend the culprit. I would 'feel' singled out, but wouldn't give two hoots about it. I don't get this "we must not offend at all costs" approach.

You here talking about "the State is falling apart " and wanting to throw out our "international.obligations ".

I single you out not because it's all you , but there are quite a few more saying this on social media , as if our lives in Ireland depended on it .

No specifics . Just all hype .

We have a rise in asylum seekers and problems with accommodation and housing ..yes .

We are facing the same problems as the rest of the countries in the West /Europe

Our government have been poor in how they have handled it ..up till now …yes .

But the sky isn't falling yet nor likely to do so .

Unlike for those in Ukraine and Gaza who are facing the real problems that the International Convention was drawn up for.

It very much has crucial.importance what Martin is doing and this is not coming from a fan of FF or him .

Deflecting from that and trying to promote that we need to ditch our international obligations tells me that people here are too influenced by whatever they are reading on SM and not looking at what is happening in the world or reading more trustworthy news .

There are people on our SM who are hyping this very narrative non stop in order to cause upset and to deflect people from supporting the above countries .

Not saying you but many here need to wake up to the fact that they are being used as pawns in an information battle .

For all their bumbling and mistakes our politicians here and in Europe in the main , are doing some good in the world .

And good laws do not need to be " thrown out ", they need to be strengthened .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

I understood harris was referring to expected AS numbers to be 13-16 000 per year henceforth. Maybe i misheard ..

I hear you on returning Irish, students etc but where is the breakdown for these figures ?

I dont believe a word harris says ..

So out of eg 141.800 immigrants in the year 2022 - 2023, how many of this number is as you say above, students, returning Irish etc ? Where is the % breakdown ?

A 30% increase on 2022 .. ie on 108K

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/number-of-immigrants-coming-to-ireland-up-to-april-2023-increased-by-31-1571319.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement