Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your energy bill like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

That's very good, there has to be setting or something wrong with somepoeple heats pumps, heard alot of completely off the wall bills from them recently, especially in people who done the retrofit as opposed to new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That it not bad. For the 3 months that is the equivalent of buying 240L (€290) of kerosene and burning it. Insulation must be doing most of the work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

When discussing gas bills, are most working from home?

Just received my bill for 780e (05 Nov - 11 Jan). Have the heating on pretty much all day as we both WFH so need to try and wrap my head around the fact that we're not paying to commute but still, unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

€85 for Oct-Dec. It wouid be at least treble that only for solar panel and battery system, as well as using a Day/Night meter which is a game changer (non smart meter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

Do you leave all the radiators on during the day or just use the one in your office. Your bill is outrageously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

That can't be correct??? You'd rent a desk in a heated office/workspace place for a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭supue

1840 kWh between mid Sep and mid Nov (€471 - €200; €271), roughly 50% night, 50% day as I have an electric car charging at night time and put up almost 6000 kms during the period. Considering the savings on fuel, happy with that and my 39% discount running to June/July this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,580 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would that cover heating your house in the evenings too? And fuel to get there and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

We do, two of us in separate rooms. I had looked into electric heaters for the rooms but I didn’t think they’d work out much cheaper per day unless im wrong.

Unfortunately it is, but if a shock alright. Cheapest workspace I can see is around 300e pm, that about right? If so, be 600e for the two of us, then there is the commute which = car costs, time etc.

To add, not sure if it makes much difference but we have combi boiler so the gas includes all hot water/showers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

Theres two of us at home all day and we have gas combi boiler too that heats rads and water. Our latest bill was €160 odd euro, difference been we have it on morning and evening for few hours. I would have heart attack if that sort of bill landed on my doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Gas bill was €660 (and thats after 25% discount too) from 1st Nov to 31st Dec

The one before that was €67

Winter is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Turquoise_Spots

My total elec bills (incl. the government help on bills) was e1097 for 2022.

That includes general electric usage AND for heating (incl. 24/7 hot water).

I have a 3 bed/3 bath house about 3/4 years old with a heat pump. UFH upstairs and downstairs. Insulated to the hilt. Living areas facing south to catch sun in winter (in summer, that brings its own challenges).

It is a little chilly in here today, and so, rather than calling HP for heat, I made a hot water bottle when making a cup of coffee.

When I first lived in the house (June 2020), the first 2 month bill (albeit summer time) I got was for e63.

Question: Do ye think the cost will ever go back down? Or is this our new standard of living? Because salaries sure aint increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You would imagine prices will come back down some of the way, but not to pre 2022 levels. If all and sundry are citing the war in Ukraine as the reason for the cost increases, then once that ends, you'd expect to see some fall off. I appreciate there will be lingering issues from the war, but the current level of costs can't be maintained imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wholesale gas prices are back down to where they were near the start of the war so youd imagine there will be pressure to lower them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭vixdname

Some of these bills are just nuts, how do they expect people to afford them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I use bottled gas and one bottle lasts around 3 months. Just for the cooker that is. Of course being old I get help re ESB and am utra careful so often I am in credit. Solid fuel stove with backboiler and radiators. I use one 20 kg bag of coal eggs every two weeks,

Being on disability much of my life taught me to dress warmly rather than put heating on and to heat just the room I am using. Not the entire house. Now I am in a single person"demountable" and it is really well insulated and inexpensive to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭CoBo55

There should be but nothing seems to be happening, the fact they're forming a cartel is very worrying. Competition has all but left the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭zell12

My electricity bill is €141 for Nov-Dec. On a D/N meter, and generally frugal with usage. Looks like my electricity for a year will be paid by others, €220 (Flogas cashback) + €600 (Govt credit)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Everyone should have have a day night meter. It makes some difference to bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’m in an apartment, 1 full time adult, i adult there part time - bill for Nov/Dec was 243. So sort the 200 gov credit and 50 from electric Ireland I have a spare 7 for next bill. Electricity only, no gas. Storage heaters.

What annoys me more is that my bills have, for all intents and purposes, almost doubled since this time last year. I haven't done anything different and I don't skimp to save a few quid. My total usage is very close to the same as last year.

That "estimated read" on gas was not actually estimated - I submitted a meter reading and calculated it myself and its accurate.

u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

94 year old mother just got her gas bill and is still in shock. Last bill was €271. This one was €681 😧. Heating is timed so no difference to last bill. New boiler fitted during the year. So angry at this blatant greed. Feel so sorry for those oap's who can't afford these bills and have to choose between heat and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Got Electric Ireland bill the last day and it made no sense, we were charged €162 after the credit was deducted but the figures don't add up.

Our meter is stating that we have used 1396 units at night over the last 57 days but only 306 during the day, makes no sense, has to be faulty. For comparison, its stating we used 3784KWh during 2022 but saying we've used 1764 in the first 18 days of 2023.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you were charged the price of electricity when gas went to $350, it would have been about €1 a unit.

Thankfully electricity generation companies but in advance at various stages and average it out.

Prices have fallen a lot since 3rd week of December and this will feed in over late spring and summer.

It's still almost 3 times the 2016-2021 average so don't expect dramatic reductions, but 25c a unit is plausible for autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

December bill for 2 adults in rural detached house was €129.

Oil central heating and water. Used approx 200L

Kettle - only fill what is needed

Dishwasher - express 55 degree wash timed for night rate (smart meter plan)

Washing machine - express 45min wash. Again timed for night.

Tumble dryer - usually timed for night after wash with air-drying during the day

Biggest consumption is the oven and we both like cooking, so difficult to save there.

Overall it's lower than last year but we didn't have the smart meter then

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

How expensive is it to buy those gadgets that measure each appliance's usage?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Seen one of the plug in ones for 25e the other day. They used to be around a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

€200 per month

€1 & €2 coin meter

no heating, no hot water included.

1 bed apartment with 2 adults & toddler

Advertisement