Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your energy bill like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You will get it automatically from Electric Ireland ,my is already in my account just checked , so with government credit I'm now €250 in credit, bill due in 2 weeks, should be a big one with Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

• Registered Users Posts: 13,260 ✭✭✭✭fits

That’s good. I feel like the settings on our heat pump might be wrong. 1800 sq ft extension built in 2017 but it’s linked to a cottage and not airtight at that end. We are on a much better rate than most at moment with 27 cents day and 8 night rate with 50% use on night rate. Electricity accounts for almost all our energy usage though. EV does 30k km a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Last bill was a decent 156 covering October/November so with the 200 credit Im 44 quid ahead. Main reason for that is I switched in August to Energias Electric Vehicle plan which is a fixed rate so I avoided all the price increases in October and there is more price rises to come soon so I'll gladly be exempt from those too. I dont even own an electric car so was over the moon to discover that hack as some people are paying 25 cents a unit for night units and almost 50 cents for day ones.

Day rate on the electric vehicle plan is 31 cents and the night rate a bargain 9 cents and Ive now shifted 40% of my usage to night rate with the dishwasher, washing machine only switched on at 11pm and with the hot water heated 2-4am as well. Have an air to air heat pump which is far more efficient than normal electric heating so that helps too and then I supplement it with burning oak logs in the stove a couple of nights a week. Burning logs works out a good bit more expensive than using electricity but you cant beat the comfort of a fire so its well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's absolutely scandalous, it was the only plan I was considering moving to, I should have known better, typical EI behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Still nothing here yet, dreading it!! We’ve been careful enough, bar that really cold spell, as live in an ancient house! But looking at these, I’m scared!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

We got our gas bill over €500 for Nov, Dec but that doesn't cover the Christmas period, stopped just before that.

To be honest I thought it would be worse, we have big enough house and heating was on a lot during that freezing cold period.

No electricity bill yet but that's usually a lot less as our heating, hot water, hob etc all runs off gas.

My husband has just informed me that the current bill is based on 'old rates' not 'new rates' can't wait for next bill so!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Electric Ireland has increased their prices over the last few months at different times it seems. Does anyone know off hand what percentage higher they are now compared to this time last year? Might depend on the plan I suppose...

I pre-paid 200 euros into my gas account when I got paid in December. Bill due middle of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

As far as i know all providers increased their charges in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭vixdname

Two months electricity with Energia €175, paid for by the €200 government subsidy and my gas bill was €110 for 2 months.

Gas during the summer was €30 avg. - for 2 months !

3 Bed semi, 2 adults and 2 kids.

House recently renovated and I spent a lot of money insulating all external facing internal walls by adding insulated plasterboards, cavity walls pumped and attic reinsulated.

I took up the old floating floor boards, dug out the old under floors, added radon barrier and fully insulated the whole downstairs floor before repouring the concrete, upper part of the floor then covered it in the gold foil under laminate insulation.

I got rid of the electric shower and attached a shower mixer to the gas combi boiler I installed, when you shower, just turn on the tap and there is always hot water there heated by the gas, the gas only turns on when you turn on the shower tap and goes off then when you turn off the shower, no electricity eating shower at all.

By the sounds of some of the posts here the insulation is paying for itself already !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Christmas lights cost the average household an extra €20 at Christmas even in todays overinflated market.

If you're trying to conserve electricity by watching how many lights you have on you don't understand how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Last elec bill for Oct/Nov was 238 and we had our 200 credit so not too bad. Next gas bill is due end of Jan, absolutely dreading it reading these comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

EI gas bill of €340 Nov/Dec. unit price is 13cents and when I joined it was 5cent, so pretty massive increase.

Have a Newborn now so the next 2 month bill should be a lot higher, heating being used daily now.

Electricity is mostly covered by the Government handouts

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Electricity usage is about 600 kWh or €200 over the last two months this year and last. The energy payment has covered my costs this winter.

Would use about 3000 kWh (€270 last year) of gas during November – January period typically but this winter that was around 2100 kWh. Gas bill was €230 over the two months.

The house was built in 2019 and has a A3 BER and I’ve made an effort to reduce gas burn this year. Put some wireless sensors around the house that connect to thermostat so I can keep it warm where needed during the day. We’re away this week and the heating is off. The house has dropped from 20°C on Monday to 16°C while away.

We switched from BG to EI this autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Got a bill for €950 yesterday with EI, thats after the €250 credits, period was 6th November to 6th January. Its a brand new build, approx 2750 sq foot with air to water heating and underfloor heating upstairs and down. We only moved in on the 22nd of December and Im still waiting on the supplier of the A2W system to come out and commission the heating system. I believe it was running way too high for a few weeks before we move in so hopefully once its commissioned we will see a large reduction.

Electricity: 189 euros for 63 days November to January. Smart meter so reading each time. Just myself in an apartment - bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room. Gas heating but sometimes I use the fake stove electric heater too. Guest bedroom obviously idle most of the time. Happy with that. Credit covered it.

It's a fecking freezing apartment though so the gas is gonna be the scary one.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Not pleasant, I've a heap of things that need fixing around the house and I'm stone broke from electricity and heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

€225 euro for Nov-Jan, credit from Government covered it and tbf the Christmas Tree lights and the like it isnt so bad.

• Advertisement

Christ... I've moved into a new 2 bed apartment at the end of October, with A2W system and my 2 month bill was €650.

I've turned the heating off!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,260 ✭✭✭✭fits

Are you on 24/7 meters? If you are on smart or day night meters you could set system to only come on at night time lower rates temporarily. But do call heat pump suppliers they usually come out to commission system and show you how to use it. That bill for a 2 bed is mad. My house is a 4 bed and we run an ev and my bills are around that level.

Smart meter. Might try the timer function but it's turned out off for now. Lots of other tenants in the block having issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

can people give some context to that, like what kind of mansion are you heating?

thats bad for an a2, what 2 months did it cover?

it was warm till mid november

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

3 bed semi, 2 adults, 2 kids.

EV and combi gas boiler.

Last bills were €192 for Gas (Mid October to Mid December), €210 (before the €200 credit) for Elec (Early October to Early December)

Looking at other bills, I'm fairly happy to have gotten on that Energia EV fixed price plan (Day: 30c, Night 9.8c) back in September, a solid piece of work. Especially with half our consumption on night rate.

November was €360 and December, when I turned the setpoint down to 17C, was €290. I've since switched my EI plan from SST to Night Boost. I've posted this to the Heat Pump thread too... something seems wrong, so I've turned the heating off. Not too cold at all, the apartment maintains 17C to 19C naturally.

• Advertisement

Advertisement