Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your energy bill like?

Options

Comments

Gas bill 290. Previous bill was based on reading. Just me. It's a very cold apartment unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's controlled by the thermostat. There's no data to indicate when the heating is active or inactive. Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had my months wrong, it was September to October for €72.05.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,854 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You could get an owl monitor which will show you in real time how much electricity is being used. I got one and find it very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

not so sure it is crazy. see my earlier post.

this time of year, our bills are similar.

also, another poster has similar experience: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120093097/#Comment_120093097

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

We haven't got our Nov-Jan elec bill yet, but Aug-Oct was ~€500 before the credit. Not unusual as himself runs a lot of business equip off that. He has since turned off same, but of course, winter is in so I expect the Nov-Jan to be the same. Heating is oil -one tank a year - and open fire with our own logs and some coal. Oil and coal probably €1,500. Like another poster said too, I am inclined to leave it fairly cold when i'm around the house myself during the day - it could be 14/15 degrees upstairs and a bit warmer downstairs. I'll suffer away during the morning and afternoon, but slap on the oil come 4.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

14/15 is chilly enough, but id probably live in arctic conditions before turning on anything.....

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

I don't understand some of the bills seen here for new builds...

2022 new build with ASHW, 3 bed, with radiators rather than UF. 1 EV with 275 kWh charged at home this month. Mostly WFH so heating is always set to between 20/21 C at all times. Cooking etc all on electricity.

282.18 bill - 200 euro government credit = 82.18 Euro.

Heatpump usage was 405 kWh in December, compared to 175 kWh in November and 80 kWh for October.

Below costs are actual units used * cost including vat, so on top of that I am paying the standing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭DataDude

Heating bills are irrelevant without context of SqM (and ceiling height I guess). Solar gain is also important. Detached, semi or terraced.

Know of two people in self builds, specd to the highest standard, triple glazing, no expense spared on anything with electricity bills of c.€1000 this winter.

But both houses are 360sqm+ with 3 metre high ceilings. €1000 then actually compares favourably to €300 for a standard 3 bed semi d which is 100sqm with 2.4m ceiling height, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

kWh usage might be a better comparison tooo. Some of us are in much better rates than others. I’m actually dreading next winter if we are in a much worse plan. Need to get skates on for solar and battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,854 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

got my bill. 460 eur. price vs this time last year is almost 3x per unit. last year we had a bill of ~300 eur. so we cut back on heat, but still ended up paying more.

thank god its been a relatively warm winter.

on the plus side, by esb bill is in credit to about 800 eur. we have level pay product and with the govt grants its ballooned into a credit. ive asked for money back. see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

we're often 14-15c downstairs until about 6 when heat goes on, and sometimes 12c upstairs all day, ( one temperature read 8c during cold spell so I blasted the heat that day!) we live in a very very cold, uninsulated house....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

478 electricity bill arrived earlier this week.

728 before 200+50 credit from ei

4 bed house share, 5 adults ,electric shower 1 ev regularly charging,electric oven, x2 gaming pcs,3 electric plug in heaters ,About 200 more than same time last year, EI with 26% discount.

Gas bill yet to arrive expecting about 400 based off meter reading

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

€422 + €44.92 standing charge for 1058 units use with Electric Ireland 39.7c p/kw

Compared to same period last year with airtricity

€217 + €32.82 standing charge for 969 units 22.38c p/kw

90 units increase and the bill doubled.

My gas isn't due until next month

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They would be on batteries though that you buy and are not charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Could be, but you can also get mains powered ones. In any case the €20 cost quoted is probably way to high for modern LED lights. They'd probably use a fraction of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

LED lights are great! Can confirm and modern ones come with settings you can alter to have a more cold or warm light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

sorry what I mean is you said you switched it off at some point, right, did that changed things,

a lot of people not happy with Air to Water heat pumps, not a lot of experience if the trades with them and given some of the trades plumbing being the worst, not surprised there are problems

For me 2000s house most of my heating happens in the morning say getting it from 16 back to 18, a normal days sun or even overcast would typically keep it around there or raise it ( colder days/nights tend to be sunnier) and then its on in dribbs and drabs from say 4 to 8 at 18.

If its a cold night I might light the stove to keep downstairs at or around 20 with anywhere from 3 split logs to 8 in a 7kwh stove#

All depends on outside temps of course but its been a cold enough 2 months after a nice warm spell

@monkeybutter It's turned to OFF. But I've noticed the rads still get a little warm still. Other people in the apartment said that too. They had to manually turn/ twist off the rads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

3 bed terraced house, 2 adults 2 kids. Electricity was €81.12 for December. - 173 units at a 29c (after discount), standing charge is 76c a day. We have solar panels so that keeps the costs down a good bit, and we have really changed our habits in terms of usage since we had them installed.

Gas was €144 for November and December which was lower than expected (meter was read), but we have been careful with use and we've had a good bit done with insulation etc

At least I'm acquainting myself to what these terms mean.

kwh = How many cups of tea did you drink today? I drank 4 cups. (a unit of energy)

kw = How much tea do you drink? I drink one cup every three hours. (a unit of energy usage)

k = just a thousand, but that's a lot of tea to go through.

God I've found this winter freezing. And I'm not a "cold" person like most other Irish women.

I've had the heating on loads (mostly gas but sometimes electric heater) and my combined electricity and gas for November to January is €480. Elec covered by credit and I pre paid some of the gas. Is what it is. I'm just very fortunate that I can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

My renewal for electricity is on Jan with eirtricity. The farm(nightsaver) was 1200 for two months and house 500 for 2 months(house still cold). Compared on bonkers and their saying to stay with eirtricity! Will the prices start to drop.or will I be tied in at current prices for the next year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

You’re not tied into anything. I broke contract in September three weeks before it was due to finish to get on a good day night rate. 50 euro well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

Got our Gas bill with BG. €155 for 2 months Nov- start Jan (includes a discount of 50 odd) very surprised and relieved with that, though we are quite strict on heat times etc. Still waiting on electricity, could be a big one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Burti16

4 bedroom house with b3 rating. Natural gas heating and smart thermostat is set 21c. 370 eur in Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Slightly off topic but......

Electric Ireland bill date 30/12/22----Govt Credit 01/01/2023

Online statement shows credit of €250.00 at 01/01/2023--includes EI €50

The Credit is NOT Applied to any bill dated before 01/01/2023.

Luckily I had my fuel allowance in the bank to cover the direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,733 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone still waiting for a Flogas bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

ESB bill over Nov and Dec, in credit €60. 4 bedroom bungalow, 2 adults living here. Heating from oil but mostly use solid fuel range that heats house and we do most cooking in its oven but use a gas hob for cooking as the extractor fan is above it. Turf used to date was saved by ourselves on our own plot, cost us about €100 since October to now for heating. Glad I'm not Gas or ruling on the oil is the house isn't that terribly well insulated.

Advertisement