Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meter & Tariff Compatibility

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but all the flogas/bwg plans that are not Day Night meters, are still very expensive. The only value plans are the fixed 24hr and fixed D/N plans

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Got an email this morning from ESBN to say my new connection is on hold until I sign up with a supplier. Jumped on this offer.

Thanks for the advice 👍

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Flogas customer support sent an email saying they have set up my account and that what I need to do now is contact ESBN to have a meter installed (it's a new build).

Two questions....I presume with the nightsaver tariff I can get a D/N meter put in? Can I have the nightsaver tariff with a smart meter which hasn't been activated?

I asked the question but seeing as it was half 5 this evening I wasn't going to get an answer before the end of the day so I thought best to ask the good folk on here before I call ESBN in the morning.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are you applying for a standard (12kVA) or enhanced (16kVA) connnection from ESBN? I think I read somewhere (but can't find source now) that 16kVA connections (and higher) require a smart meter.

Edit: confirmed here on page 4.

16kVa....thanks a million. i guess i can still go on that flogas nightsaver plan as long as i don't activate the meter.

• Advertisement

That doc is outdated as it explains replacing MCC02 meters with smart meters configured to MCC16, which is now not happening. Also, it says a meter exchange "can" happen, not will.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sligobuck

Some more info on Meters and Connections.

6 months ago I decided to go for an enhanced connection 16kVA in readiness for an EV at some point in the future. I have a Day Night meter which I am planning to keep as long as I can. I have batteries and PV for load shifting in the winter. I also have very negligible Day unit usage throughout the year and deemed FIT.

At the outset of the process I discovered I had only an 8kVA connection despite a 63A fuse on the consumer unit and a 60/80A fuse holder in the meter box. I had assumed it was an 12kVA 60A fuse based on this but as always assumptions can get you in trouble. After the ESBN guys pulled the fuse unit on the morning of the change over and while they installed larger lines on the poles near the property I opened the fuse holder and found the 40A fuse.

I have regularly had loads of 50A and more during previous winters so I guess these fuses can take much more than they are rated for.

Back on topic I told the ESBN guy I was dealing with that I wanted to keep the Day Night meter and did not want to have a Smart Meter installed during the upgrade. This caused him a lot of headaches since head office was not allowing him to install a 16kVA upgrade without a change to a Smart Meter.

After months of back and forth I finally got a contract to sign with a 17kVA connection which would allow me to keep the Day Night meter for the same almost 2K cost of the 16kVA connection. So it appears there are some gaps in the rules to allow an upgrade while keeping the Day Night meter.

Another few months of contracts going missing despite registered post I finally got the upgrade so all I can advise anyone going down this road is do not assume anything and persistence is key to getting an end result...I had felt like giving up along the way but glad I held out.

BTW I moved to the Flogas deal a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

Do you know what the current plan is for replacing day/night meters?

Also the flogas deal, do they pay deemed export and if so what rate?

It's still listed as later this year, q3. But they will be replaced like for like, meaning the only difference to the consumer will be no more deemed export.

Everyone pays deemed export, as they are required to, and flogas are no exception. 24c

Signed up over the weekend to flogas community plan, 33/14 is a good bit higher than 28/8 I was paying but much better than anything else on the market - and no silly 2 hour cheaper rate either, the full nine hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

Well done on hitting 20,000 posts :-)

I'm on same 28/8 and agree 33/14 is by far bets going. Just waiting a few days for my contract to finish.

When you say like for like, do you mean they are putting in the same smart meters just configuring them as MCC02.....Do you know will we get paid actual export once these are installed ? In that case surely it's better to export any surplus during the day @24c and import to charge the car nighttime at @14c

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I was going to wait it out, as Im not importing much at all these days, but the community offer for the rural standing charge is 100 euro less than the standard rate.. but unsure if its a typo

I waited it out until my contract term with energia ended, I dont use any day rate but I am still using night rate to charge EVs - the weather has been awful this month and as a result we;'ve only generated 600kWh so far vs 1000 last month. I'd say the 400kwh delta is being imported all at night to charge EVs.

28th July my contract is up, the request for a meter read should be landing in the next day or 2 as well.

Any calls to make you stay?

Inc FIT my EAB (not inc pso)for the last 12 months is 811, that is now moving to 1315 with flogas and 1984 for Energia's rate (from bonkers)

And that's assuming the 480 standing charge not the 380 on the community page.

Currently in credit to the tune of 300 odd with Energia, which will prob rise even more with the next bill.

No calls, no. Email received a month ago saying to call them or whatever but I'm not doing that of course, I just take the cheapest rate online. Don't have it listed? I wont be signing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Energia offer after the 27/8 dies is absolute dog 💩

Quoted 47c day and 23c night, I politely told them to PFO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

go with the Flogas community offer and in 6 months re-assess if a better offer comes along. I've so far found the Flogas switch painless as it should be, final bill from Energia today but going to fight a bit to get my 50e back! 😁

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

For sure I will, just waiting until the D-day which is 8/08

The pinergy EV one seems to be the best but only for smart meter

only 3 hours of good rate on that one though, at least the flogas rate has the full 9 hours. MCC02 to the rescue again.

Its a 12 month fixed term, so you wait 12 months not 6

True but 8kw charging will do the batteries to 100% easily.

Half tempted to go for it, put about 20kw into the leaf every day then sell it back to them but shame about the stupid prices for the bidirectional chargers, will take a long time to make that 5k back, or will it... 🤣

• Advertisement

I mean there's an argument for that once the MCC02 day night smart meters come in (RM108), you keep your 9 hours of good rate, so in my case you buy at 14c and the FIT is 24c, charge up all night and then sell during the day. Of course, until RM108 meters we're getting deemed export anyway so being paid to not export.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Getting solar soon, if I feed back to the grid, do I need to be on a smart plan, or can I stay on my normal 24hr plan? My meter is MCC001 (smart meter just not activated)

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Heggarti2

Hi, I’ve a few weeks left on the 27/8c Energia offer, I called today and was offered something like 45/22c.

I also rang flogas about their offer but was told this was just available for employees but I seem to be able to go online and sign up.

Do you think that is possible and worth doing now (and potentially breaking contract for €50) or waiting the 3 weeks and hoping for the best?

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

I got a Flogas one a few months ago but I did it via the online link. No reason you can't do that. I got nothing from them to state I needed to be an employee. So I assume it's open to the public based on that.

Are you sure you were not looking at the flogas community offer online as opposed to their BG offer for staff at that company? The community offer is 33/14 which I signed up to and is the best I've seen.

Whether it's worth it or not depends how much power you consume but me personally would hold off until the energia contract expired and then sign up to Flogas Community tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Heggarti2

thanks for the replies, I actually rang to see if there was a way to sign up now to change a day in the future, she said no and asked me what offer was I looking at and when I mentioned the community one she said I couldn’t as that one was for employees only.

there’s no mention of that online, but as it doesn’t come up under the main page plans I wasn’t sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK some on the switching thread could use the 14 day cooling off period to get the commencement date pushed out. Post in that thread and anyone who done it should be able to confirm. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058235650/switching-electric-gas-providers#latest

When you ring they won't give you the offer, only do it online.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I have an RM107 meter that was installed about 6 months ago. Can I sign up for the energia smart drive plan with this meter or is this meter not compatible with this plan? Cheers. I'm on a non smart 24hr tariff at the moment and it says mcc01 on my bill.

• Advertisement

As far as I know the Energia drive tariff is a smart tariff, so yes you could sign up, but be wary it means your MCC will change to mcc12 or mcc16 and you wouldnt be able to go back to flat 24hr mcc01

Advertisement