Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

Maybe a bit premature, but is the last four days the start of a Santa rally?

If so have you got your wishlist ready in your christmas sock? What you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ctomas

As I mentioned previously, my 2 investments were to add to my investments smurfit kappa and lending club this year so far, both bad decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

Armstrong World Industries Inc (AWI)

Strong earnings report share price has taken off the last two weeks. In breakout territory now, possible next leg up in share price over the next week or two.

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH)

Reasonable good earnings up 5% today on double the average 3 month volume.

These were my two picks at the start of the year, (was I early or wrong? Who cares - it is the same thing) it was frustrating watching them go nowhere, but it looks like the 2 picks are in the Christmas sock for a nice prezzie.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Degiros biggest gainers of the last 10 years, fair play to PLS, best stock I ever owned and got me into my first house this year, a life changer and still a good dividend stream, still a buy during the current dip imo:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Learned a hard lesson this past week and it’s that nobody know anything, while still invested heavily in equities, I thought I was clever reducing exposure this past six weeks and so had a significant cash position, what I saved was completely overturned by the sensational rise in the market this past week

you might have a good run and make some good pre emotive trades but eventually you’re bet against the market bites you

I still saw my portfolio increase by 3% since last Friday but much of that was down to the increase in my bond portfolio, the S+P rose over 5% in the past week, I also lost an amount shorting a particular stock this week that was equal to my entire gains shorting for 2013

it’s ok to be humbled sometimes by the market, reminds you that you know far less than you thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Everyone learns those lessons at some stage!

You won't be as quick to make that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭jams100

Saw a good quote the other week:

In the 20th Century the US endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497. Warren Buffet

Time in the markets beats timing the markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I was waiting for the S+ P to drop another bit and offloaded quite a bit of Tesla in September when it was over $260 , while lightening the Tesla load was wise , doing the same with Amazon and Netflix wasn’t

Exactly. If I buy long I'm happy to not even look at it for 5+ years at least.

People panic sell when they see big drops. These are buying opportunities quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

one-time favourite here GAN has been acquired by Sega for $107m. I was still holding a few shares in it, up 92% today.

Although I am still down 60% on it overall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

Learned a hard lesson this past week and it’s that nobody know anything, while still invested heavily in equities, I thought I was clever reducing exposure this past six weeks and so had a significant cash position, what I saved was completely overturned by the sensational rise in the market this past week

i havn't been doing too bad over last couple of years, i had avoided the US , had alot of Europe, UK, oil and some emerging markets in my portfolio. But last month or so has not been good, can't really pinpoint why my portfolio falling given that the main indices have risen or are stable. Probably the idiosyncrasies of my portfolio. Overall the market seems to be driven by a few very large stocks, if you don't have those then you are not performing like the market. I think outside those mega stocks alot of stocks are struggling the past year. Bonds have had their worst performance in a century and I doubt that **** show is over yet, all the talking heads going on about buying bonds for the yields now, however anyone that has been doing that since 2020 have had their bonds fall in value as interest rates keep rising

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see Ryanair will start paying a dividend, 400 million euro next year.

"Ryanair said it would pay a maiden regular dividend of 400 million euros next year and in subsequent years will return approximately 25% of the after-tax profit via an ordinary dividend."

Now with market cap at €19.311B as of today, (share price at €16.95) that's a 2% yield.

Ryanair sees record annual profit, first regular dividend as fares soar | Reuters

Other source;

Ryanair indicated that it would make an initial dividend payment of 200 million euros ($215 million) in February, followed by a final one of 200 million euros in September.

Ryanair Predicts Record Profits and Will Pay a Dividend as Demand and Fares Rise (investopedia.com)

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭notsocutehoor

A bumper 6 months for Nvidia shareholders, up 66% and with results out next week could get even better, could break $500 today

Added a small quantity of Xero this week at AUD $95 to a previous add last year.

NZ company that you probably would see ads for in the UK for SME accounting support. Focusing on profitability so expect to see their US entry going slowly but I like when companies have a balance between market share growth and profitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Layne

Watching Alibaba and Flutter at the moment. Both hugely profitable behemoths that have taken a bashing off the back of recent earning reports.

Alibaba down mainly due to plans to cancel cloud expansion in US. Still growing revenue in all its constituent parts.

Flutter plans to float on NYSE soon which should give it a nice bump.

Any views on either of these??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

BABA is also planning a dividend which is something I suppose. Each time I think BABA is going to prosper something else happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

and Jack Ma announced he is selling a load of shares next week (or is being made sell them)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

MSFT have hired Altman, who was ousted/fired from OpenAI, to head up a new advanced AI team. interesting to see what happens the price today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

That story moved fast. OpenAI board sacked him, the next day they asked him to come back... he came back alright, to the company that they have been working in close partnership with and owns a big chunk of OpenAI... and is now going to eat their lunch.

Way to go OpenAI board!! Epic fail 🙊

Microsoft were probably going to buy out OpenAI anyway at some point... now they won't need to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

• Advertisement

Picked up some Crocs shares today after selling some Skyworks after a dismal return, was selling to avoid some capital gains tax.

Will Apple (AAPL) break the $200 mark this time round? Now trading at 30 times Free Cash Flow.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

bought (topped up) lemonade shares today, only around 2% of portfolio but it’ll be interesting to see can they compete with the big insurers, 2 million customers now.

Sold my RyanAir (RY4C) shares today. A long wait but eventually sold them at €18.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vinnyda

Anyone get the Degiro annual report yet for 2023 from Jan to Dec? Capital gains on any profit (less the 1270 allowance) to be paid by the 15th of this month I believe?

Jan to November is available.

Year end will be available in January.

CGT from Jan-Nov to be paid by mid December.

CGT from December 2023 to be paid by end of Jan 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 27 joebert80

My total gross gains and losses don't tally up with the 'Realised gains and losses per product' breakdown. Not even close in fact.

Anyone else in that situation?

Thanks for the reply, I have being checking the last few days and my report still is not there, I had the same issue last year with Degiro...

Hi joebert80, how are you tracking your losses/ gains? A separate excel sheet? Could the issue be with currency exchange rates? I usually just go with what is in the Degiro report when doing my return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Advertisement