Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

I wonder how it will work in practice. Will I wake up in the morning and my CS shares are frozen/can't be traded? Or do they immediately become UBS.

I know normally it would be 6m down thr line but this is different.

The times is saying valued at 50c per share and transferred into UBS shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You should be able to sell your CS shares tomorrow, price should be about 78c until the deal is closed. You take ~78c now or 82c when it closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Bought some Microsoft, Google, Apple, and Amazon today after not buying much for nearly a year. Their productivity is sure to increase with all the new AI stuff available, easy to see ChatGPT and the likes replacing a lot of basic human work. Rocky time to be investing in anything at the minute, but I'm more confident in them longer term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I wonder how Scottish independence would effect the value of the sterling. Looking at the election in scotland at the moment, an SNP party win could see some short term effect on the sterling price, I would imagine it decreasing in value if a nationalist candidate gets in.

Just made me wonder what would happen if Scotland did have another independence vote that passed. Would they turn in all their sterling and join the euro? Hard to know what would happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Some rally in recent days.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

BBBYBros... The clock is ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jaysus 99% down in a year, the WSB lads weren't even hiding their pump and dump plans with this one.

We saved a guy a fortune on this, convinced him to sell in the $6s if I remember correctly. Could have been wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Layne

I see there is speculation that Samsung will use Microsoft Bing instead of Google Chrome as the default browser on their new mobile phones. No smoke without fire?? Would be a big hit even for a company of Google's size to take. Was ready to pull the trigger on Alphabet share purchase but this could be a gamechanger...

• Advertisement

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Bed Bath Beyond Bankrupt, all the smart money wiped out:

Surprised_pikachu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The markets have been a big fat nothing burger. (0.5% up, 0.5% down etc. ) ... for the last few weeks... except yesterday (and maybe today) where we seen a bit of a dash for the exit doors. Will be watching closely this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

We've all switched to cash! The great individual investor boom is over it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thanks to the poster who gave the tip for Meta back a few months ago when it was about $165. (it had fallen from over $300). I didn't immediately load up until I felt it had definitely bottomed (got in around $180 eventually). Still a nice 33% profit in the bag as of today's SP $240

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

CRISPR Therapeutics on the rise lately, better than expected results plus the announcement of CTX112, CTX131 and CTX310 immuno-oncology pipeline assets are to be moved to the next phase of Clinical trials. This is heading north of $100 and could see anything up to and above $500 over the next 24 months with successful clinicals. (Provided they don't get bought out in the meantime)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I haven't, in fact I recently bought into a big sell off of Macquarie Group and increased my holdings. The price has since recovered and the latest buys are now in the black. Also bought some Bank of Queensland and Incitec Pivot. The former is in the red but, is paying a didvidend which softens the blow, while the latter is in the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I'm still fully invested, long term investors ride the dips and don't try to time the market

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Undoubtedly a field that will change humanity and the human race, literally, once the ground rules are agreed upon but which horse to back is the real question for me.

There's a few in the space all working on similar things; EDIT, CRSP, NTLA, VERV, CRBU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I have about 1% of my investment portfolio in cash (I like to keep a little dry powder incase some downright belter of an opportunity comes along)... but the rest is in shares and funds. My portfolio hasn't really moved in overall value this year, but I am raking in some pretty handsome dividends, soo that in effect would be the opportunity cost of being in all cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dickface

I would not consider 1% like a little dry powder, more like a few specs of dust...

This time last year I was 50% cash but PLS has grown so big for me its basically 80% of my PF now with 10% other holdings and 10% cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Checkpoint software technologies is a good value play on the cyber security sector. (Ticker CHKP). ($14 Billion market cap so a relatively small fish in a big pond).

Zero Debt and buying back approx $1 billion worth of shares per year on average over the past 3 or 4 years. Long term hold for myself.

Finally ripped the cord on GAN today, one of my worst investments. Harsh lesson learned!

Depends on the overall size of the portfolio, I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Anybody having a look at Disney as a buy after it's poorly received results today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Good God No , it’s gone nowhere since 2015

avoid , major problems , another 20% drop possible if overall market corrects over summer

its a reasonable trade next week as it’s sold off so hard but not a buy and hold ( yet ) , long ( very long) term Disney will be fine

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

I'd take the bull case here.

• Bob Iger back in the drivers seat after the Chapek mistake.
    • Low market cap
    • Enormous and diverse IP. Compare a Netflix which has a similar MC. Disney is a competitor yet Disney+ probably makes up about 1% of Disneys assets.
    • COVID no longer effecting physical experiences like parks, cruises and cinema.
    • Most of their moat is recession proof.

I think $92 is a bargain for a long term hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Iger has utterly failed to inject confidence in the market , all those obvious strengths already existed but the market is looking for more

Disney currently has a “ Bud light “ type image and wall st senses that middle America doesn’t like the taste

What do people think of Adobe (ADBE). I've been sitting on the fence a while with it. Currently at 20x Free Cash Flow with an ROI of 27%. Sales increasing about 20% year on year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Layne

Have been watching Adobe too. Recent collaboration with Google should be fruit going forward. Have a price target of $330 before I dip my toes.

Advertisement