Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Apple (AAPL) is about to break the $200 mark. Currently trading at over 30 times free cash flow. Anyone holding and do you plan on selling?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Think all our pension funds are fairly heavily weighted with Apple, never felt the need to get more exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

That’s a good point, for those with pension or other fund investments how much do you invest in single name stocks that cover in said funds?

Apple currently makes up half (46%) of the Berkshire Hathaway stock portfolio, so that's worth considering too, if you have stocks in Berkshire.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Most of my pension is L&G World Equity which is 5% Apple. So I avoid that for stock picking. In general I prefer relatively smaller names, 100bn Market Cap, so they tend not to be massively represented in those funds.

I'd hold none of the top 10 from my Pension

Top 10 holdings (%)

Apple5.2

Microsoft4.3

Amazon.com2.1

Nvidia1.7

Alphabet A1.4

Alphabet C1.3

Meta Platforms A1.1

Tesla1.0

Unitedhealth Group0.9

Exxon Mobil0.8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Speaking of which.... ROBLOX coming to the Metaverse on VR

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

What do people think is the best ISEQ stocks to invest in for the long term , thinking Kerry Group or Smurfit Kappa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭littlevillage

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058151218/irish-iseq-share-chat#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

I don't bother running those reports from DeGiro.

What I do is:

Download a report of all my transactions from DeGiro. This gives buy and sell prices in euros. Also gives transaction costs.

In an excel file I have a few tabs:

• One for all current held stocks (this contains the purchase price in euros and quantity)
    • One for current year sold stocks. This is how I calculate my profit and loss for the year. For example, if I sell 5 shares of AAPL in 2022, I list this sale on the 2022 tab. I then go to my "current held stocks" tab and look at the earliest apple stocks I bought. If I bought say, 20 shares of AAPL in 2019 in one purchase, I split this into two rows. One of 15 shares and one of 5 shares. I then cut the 5 share row and paste it into the "current year old" tab. I do this for all my sales in the year and then can easily see the profit and loss by summing the transaction value (buys will have - value while sales will have + value)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ctomas

Invested in Smurfit Kappa (added to a small investment that has done nothing for me over the last few years) and LendingClub this year.

Picked some SuperMicro Computer stock a couple of years ago at $36, absolutely blew up in the last few months so not sure if I should sell or hang on for the ride!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

at least sell enough to take your initial investment off the table. let the rest ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

Yeah, thank God, I got out of 4D in time, lost a few quid but nothing major (it got good coverage on previous Share Picks threads, but never really went anywhere).

Small pharma companies can be high risk.

In better news, AI related stocks are going to the moon 🌛👏

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Finally back to where I was at the start of 2021, thanks Google.

It's been a pretty rough 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've taken a small position in Canoo(GOEV) it is trading 95% down from its Jan 2021 peak. I am taking the view that from here, it either sinks or swims.

They are at the point where production is moving towards final product. In a market where folk will throw money at Tesla for the Cybertruck, I really think the Canoo designs have potential to make inroads on the market for delivery and courier industries. Couple that with their efforts to sell to US Defence dept?

I think there is scope for significant upside at the current price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a 100% failure rate for share investing in technologies that I thought looked promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Curious, had you gone for any Artificial Intelligence company shares? Some of these already peaked in previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, I was referencing a couple of flutters made last century. I wouldn't invest in AI. My son has a computer science degree and he is always pointing out all the problems with AI and how the general populace doesn't understand how limited and flawed it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

I agree with your son. It is a fake and constant input from human sources is used to simulate intelligence.

Though that won't necessarily stop it from being a money-spinner. But not a stable one since the hype around it could conceivably collapse at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 45,274 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is SPGI a share or ETF?

Its classed as a share on Degiro, so I'm assuming it is.

Asking for tax reasons. I had assumed it was an ETF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

was listening to the radio at the weekend, there was someone on about cash savings and the v bad rate of return the banks are giving.

he was on about money market funds, google shows me this 10 Best Money Market Mutual Funds Of 2023 – Forbes Advisor

I can buy these on degiro, I was wondering how much tax do I have to pay on this

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Have to disagree, AI is a real technology with years of research and development behind it. It's not going away, you are only seeing the tip of the Iceberg with regard to AI. You may not be aware but it is already making its way into a lot of products. The latest updates of MS Office all have AI built in which do subtle little helps such as creating themes and arrangements on the fly based on your inputs not on templates. AI has the ability to enhance everything we do.

At the moment Nvidia are the clear winners, but there will be others.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Companies with a lot of data like Google (Alphabet), SAP, Oracle, Amazon all should do well from AI (Provided they exploit the opportunities presented of course). Obviously Nvidia too, but they are the main ones that spring to my mind. The likes of C3ai, darktrace could be more risky plays too. Likelihood is most the small players will flop and the big guns will take majority share.

My bet is on Alphabet, Msft and SAP in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Quoting myself here. My few quid in Canoo last week have had a nice rise to date. Up 33% and seems to be gathering momentum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As someone doing multiple "AI" implementation projects right now I'd suggest you take a long good look at the existing and upcoming legislation. It's getting to the point that I'm having our business units pushing back against AI implementation due to the risk it brings for lawsuits in USA, EU etc. The problem is not if it's true or not (various forms of discrimination because someone coded that AI in the first place and yes there has been multiple cases already), an AI lawsuit easily runs into the millions and good luck getting the money back from a private citizen who sued you in the first place (and blaming the system provider will not help either, been there, got the contracts fights to show for it)...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Google, Amazon, Meta etc. Have almost daily lawsuit cases, that's not necessarily anything particularly new, given their cash flows (less so amzn), they'll easily be able to cope.

I think any sort of regulation that comes in are much needed for the good of society, but even with strict regulation it suits the bigger players like the above. (Governments are already playing catch up...the cat is out of the bag in many ways and AI isn't going anywhere, whether you or I like any of the potential negative consequences).

Given the amount of money being pumped into AI, its only going to be more prominent, yes, there is a lot of bullsh*t hype around it too and alot of companies are just turds masquerading as "AI" companies.

I'm not necessarily investing in the likes of Alphabet just for any AI upside, the fact is these are great companies in their own rights, even if they aren't "cheap" stocks.

Anyone have CRH shares on the Irish Exchange? I didn't know that was coming.

Re-location of their listings has been well flagged for over a year in various business publications.

Even mentioned it myself back on 13th Sept. on the ISEQ thread.

I had Irish listed shares, sold them about 2 weeks ago... and bought US listed equivalents. Even if you still hold Irish listed shares they will presumably be bought back by the company or swapped for US/UK equivalents.

Personally I don't really understand why they dumped Dublin and kept London as a secondary listing....they will still be headquartered in Dublin and now no longer have an EU stock exchange listing.

My CRH shares were converted to UK GBP shares listed in London. I don't understand what's going on though. Current Price is GBX 4,412.00, yet quantity stays the same. I assume they'll change my quantity in time. I doubled my money since I bought them in April 2020 for €24.4. I don't know if I'll sell now or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd wait a few weeks at least, they're leaving Dublin & London and moving to the New York stock exchange next week, I'd expect the share price to rally and with dividends in November definitely worth the wait.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement