Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

UK prices are in pence, so price is actually £44.12 - closed in Ireland about €50 which is about the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭littlevillage

CRH is going to have its primary listing in New York (they had a secondary listing there already) and a secondary listing in London, Dublin is the only one being dropped.

Yep, hoping for a bounce in the Share Price once the big US institutions start buying in. CRH will be included in S&P 500 eventually (next Autumn at a guess) that's when the SP should really get a turbo boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Is there anyone actually doing well at the moment? All the major indexes appear be doing well this year, yet everything I bought has turned to dirt. I wouldn't mind if it was 4-5% down, but 15, 30, 50% down on nearly all the stocks I've bought, and they're not wild gambles either - Nextera energy, Merit Medical, Nexans SA and even Barrick Gold down 15%. It makes no sense at all this market.

As Buffett said - “Interest rates are to asset prices, you know, sort of like gravity is to the apple,”. The way I see it, if it made sense to buy at the higher prices, then it makes even more sense to buy again at the lower prices.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Buy JAM, unless you are very good at reading company data you will almost certainly underperform in the long term.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Does anyone know what happens on DeGiro to the shares of companies that are bankrupt or on their way out? For example, 4d Pharma - there is some measly amount attributed to these and it also is the first one I see when I open the portfolio which is a depressing sight every day. Is it possible to dispose of duds like these to realise a loss and get them gone off the app once and for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

I'm experiencing a bumpy ride. I had hoped that EV (electric vehicle) shares would rise as more people transition to EV cars, but it seems I was mistaken. My portfolio is somewhat diversified, but I can't seem to stem the losses. I suffered a 20% loss over a year ago, enjoyed a 10% gain until last month, and now I am at BEP :) I'm fairly certain it will turn into a loss soon, but I'm hesitating to sell :(

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭antimatterx

We're in for a rough quarter or two. I don't expect gains really.

Have a Stop loss set up for everything. Investing is about making money when times are good and not losing too much when times are bad.

Always be ready to walk away.

Preserve capital at all costs.

• Advertisement

Buy good companies at a cheap price and don't give a damn what the price does. Too many people take the share price rise or fall as confirmation that they made a good investment.

Don't use stop losses either. You'll only end up selling in the dips. The worst possible thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I reckon the opposite, the market reaction yesterday suggests the rate hike environment might be priced in

we have had nearly three months of falls now

That's all very solid advice but also very fanciful.

How do you know a truly good company from say a middling one or a terrible one?

and even if you were able to figure that out, things can change.

How do you know that you are buying at a cheap price?

And why not sell on a dip? before that dip becomes a massive sell off.

My biggest losses have been where I have hung on too long to what I deemed to be good companies as the share price slowly collapsed.

You have probably all heard the quote attributed to Ernest Hemingway — 'How did you go bankrupt? Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.'

best Strategy for me is having a permanent portfolio for the vast majority of securities and having a small amount of cash for trading, I get a real kick out of trading but in truth you will be wrong enough times to make it unprofitable relative to the time and effort required, I tend to trade options with my fun money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah you could very well be right, I just have a bad feeling about Q4. I could be wrong, if I could predict the future I'd be a rich man.

I'm not saying it's easy, but way too many people go about buying shares the wrong way. Essentially you have to buy the company for less than what it is worth and what it is worth is the present value of future cash flows. You do this consistently and you will make money.

Don't even look at the share price. Sit down and work out what you think the company is worth. Then you look at the share price. It's all about free cash flow. A company that isn't generating free cash flow today may do so in the future. Such companies can be either way over, or way under valued.

Have people put much money into stocks this year? I've been accumulating cash truth be told, with 4% availale from Trade Republic it seems hard to ignore without any downside risk.

One the flip side, I've always believed in DCA'ing so would love to have had the conviction to but more this year, most of teh companies I like are growth companies that have struggled this year with interest rates. Continuing to buy the likes of Crowdstrike, AirBnB, Spotify and Shopify, all big covd winners but companies I believe in will continue to grow over the next 10 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've stuck to invest the same, or more, every year for a long while now and continue down that path. I don't think I, nor anyone else, can accuractly predict when things bottom out or where's the top. I've read plenty of bloggers bragging how they cashed out in 2020 because the market was due to crash and they would buy in at the low end again. I simply see it as averaging out over time and with a good risk spread over countries, sectors and companies along with index funds and let it ride. There's a fun post on what happend if you only invested at the peak here and the short answer is you still get ahead if you leave it on the market.

There's been a glaring absence of any actual Share Picks on the "Share Picks 2023" thread for a while now.... But happy to report CRH is motoring along nicely on NYSE. Think my exchange price at NYSE listing time was about $54, now hovering around $59. Long may they run 🤞

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends what I'm building a position in; this year it's been in ASML, Kering, Hermes, LVMH, Moncier (yes, I've been building out my luxuary item portfolio because neuve rich always want to show off), Groep Brussel Lambert, Sonae SGPS & Kone in the main portfolios. Got some other smaller once that got Novo Nordisk, Investor, Hannover Rueck, Muenchener Rueckversicherungs Gesellschaft in Muenchen & Sibanye-Stillwater this year. Basically I set a target to invest (depending on the portfolio) up to a certain amount into a given stock I've identified I want to own; once the target has been achieved I either split further investments into existing stock or add a new stock to the buy list for the portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

any chance of a bit of background info on why you choose all those, some interesting picks

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Not as much as during covid but I'm sticking to my energy (wiggle wiggle) plan and added to uranium and o&g services and will hop back into coal miners (likely non-US). Have added gold and lithium miner too. Eyeing up tankers. Have trimmed most tech and bailed on wind/solar as there's too many zombie companies to count and would not be surprised to see more fail with interest rates higher.

I don't advocate DCA'ing like I used to as I prefer to go with a trend and buy things going higher. If your timeframe is far enough out it makes sense but there may be better places to generate a return and add to a position once it starts to move up.

Thinking we get a vix pop/market drop then run into xmas. Might be wrong but have bought calls to cover myself.

One is to build up a luxuary portfolio started last year; basically a wide selection of luxuary companies with the top level brands that neuve rich are likely to know and buy. Not looking for subtle here but flashy and historical. I usually try to go for at least 3 to 4 companies in a sector where possible but in this case I'm up to I think 7 companies so far. The goal with them is really an long term hedge that rich people will remain rich and get richer and want to flaunt it. See the fake it until you make it rappers/influencers etc. as well to keep driving it home to a new generation along with the third generation millionaires from crypto and so on (grandfather slaves to make the money, father saw how is father worked and the son burns it all).

Second is a set of investment companies spread over Europe; that's part of spreading out the risk as well as owning smaller companies in bulk. Don't claim to know which once are the best but looked at their ownership, ensuring the main companies they owned was things I liked (i.e. no service companies sounding like a dot com bubble idea or easily copied), making a healthy profit and history of paying dividend. Started from lists of European investment companies I found and worked my way through all companies creating a short list of what I wanted to pick up. I see investment companies basically like a small fund in the fact they usually own 10+ smaller entities (some or all may not be on the stock market in the first place) and let me diverse my investments without being stuck paying a hefty fee and give me geographical diversity.

The final set are insurance which is a investment portfolio in that they always manages to come out ahead in the end. Kone came after a blog post highlighted it to me (they are big in elevators etc. and once you know about Kone you'll be surprised how often you see they have sold the elevators) and I liked the company idea. Sibanye was me having an idea of wanting to get into gold but not wanting to have to own the metal itself (worried I'd lose it/fake/stolen etc.) which I'll admitt has gone pearshaped on me (down some 35% or so) so far but it's sits there as part of diversification of asset types.

Post edited by Nody on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Something really stinks about this market. In the last few months I have literally lost every gain I made over the past three years and losses further compounded. And yet if you look at the indices, they don't look so bad at all.

Are the index providers faking the numbers to hide a market meltdown? Wouldn't surprise me one bit if there was an ETF bubble about to burst.

Disclaimer: I have limited market knowledge do not make decisions off this view!

The index' are heavily weighted by the top stocks. Some of the small cap or mid cap companies losing value sin't making a dent in it really.

If you're invested in growth stocks,they're gonn struggle for a while IMO. I keep buying them as I'm sure those prices will look great in 5/10 years, but I can't imagine much growth in them in the next 2 years.

The problem with ETFs and probably short term traders too is, the more money that goes into the market, the more prices rise above what they are actually worth. A bubble, if you like. Share prices are being driven up, not by fundamentals, but by the flow of money. I hear so many people on here say they are buying shares just because the price is going up. Crazy. The market has to correct itself eventually. That's what is happening now. A good time to buy, if you can spot value for money.

Bank Of America at $25, 3M at $89 - just saying .........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Anything in the iseq worth a look at

Kerry jumps out at me at 70 ish ,they seemed to have some U.S. problems which hopefully are resolved ,there normally above 100 a good few years now and peaking around 120 so look a bit of value .

Anybody else have any picks

• Advertisement

Food production companies have to be a no brainer long term. Worlds population is rising and the amount of food the planet is able to produce might have peaked (arable land is actually dwindling due to Climate catastrophe).

Advertisement