Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla?

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Never mind that the freedom of speech or lack thereof is not in fact freedom of speech. The phrase has become anything from moderation on here to cancelling someone's soapbox in the media when in fact it's simply the freedom from interference by government in your right to free speech. What happens in other organs can be variously described as the rules or your contractual obligations to your employer.

I spent some time as a community notes contributor on Twitter. I volunteered out of curiosity more than anything else, but omg was it a sh1tshow. An ever increasing number of CN contributors were ridiculously biased to the point where the system basically became unworkable. And this was Musk's much heralded replacement for the trust and safety function. Basically outsourcing the function to the user base with oh so predictable results. And the flood of disinformation became unstoppable. It was like whack-a-mole. Any time there was something newsworthy, old and unrelated media was posted many multiples of times claiming to be from said incident. A tsunami of bullsh1t that people lapped up because it confirmed their bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's a great post. I do disagree about the Russians though, yes some speech is curtailed but nothing like what happens here in Ireland. We're nearly the worst of the worst.

I think it was today Kaitlyn Jenner proclaimed trans women aren't women. That will be headline news in Russia and the UK. It probably won't even be noted here. It's a simple obvious fact but every media outlet is afraid to say it. Maybe I'm wrong and it'll be in tomorrows paper and the comments section will be open under the Journal.ie but I doubt it as it's wrong speak in Ireland. I'm sure Elon will blast in and get hated by the Irish media and people who boycott his cars here for being right wing or some other nonsense slur.

I do disagree about the Russians though, yes some speech is curtailed but nothing like what happens here in Ireland. We're nearly the worst of the worst.

That has to be the most uninformed, blinkered statement I have ever seen. And I was a Community Notes contributor on Twitter.

People were arrested in Moscow for holding up blank pieces of paper. Saying "No to war" gets you arrested. Opposition politicians are arrested, imprisoned on trumped up charges and killed. Alexei Navalny, Vladimir Kara-Murza et al. Journalists are routinely murdered. Anna Politkovskaya being one of many. Go educate yourself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Back to Musk and Tesla, comparing freedom of speech in Russia and Ireland, has drifted a bit too much for an EV sub forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The only people who hate Musk are those who live their lives knowing what to think ( and who to hate ) rather than how to think

Musk is a scourge of progressive group think and that's unforgivable to some

Sad

Straight out of the "culture war" playbook. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

You can say that about just about anything ( the concluding " Sad " was meant to be ironic)

Advertisement