Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

My (2023) Model Y rattles like a builder's van. I've seen several posts on here re significant rattles, not just seat belt. ID4 was far superior in this regard (but not in others of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

ID4 has it's own problems. No product is perfect. That's just life.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭crl84

It's not his company, yet Tesla are literally removing the Disney app from the cars because he's upset with them not advertising on Twitter.

It is his company. The actions of the company prove that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I actually asked this question in the Tesla Thread earlier, I updated last night. I'm on the most up to date software on the Model 3, still have Disney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's easy to point out the faults on a person that does a lot, expecially if they are diagnosed with personality disorder that leads to lower filters. I know there are many folk that clutch in some particular frogs he has uttered and shout for murder and cancel. I have worked with people like him in the past and many people can't stand them but still they are usually the best workers in the team.

I think as a CEO he has done much more good than bad for the Tesla as the company. And this is what matters to me personally. I get to enjoy a great product that improves with age automatically without me having to do anything else but to accept over the air updates. And due to the stringent cost measures he as the CEO insists from his teams we get to enjoy improved machines that have now reached quite a mature status and quality while being simple and elegant designs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Supposedly people who have used the Disney app are grandfathered in, the app is only being removed for people who haven't used it. If this is true it does make some of the outrage a bit hollow as it means people are upset at the removal of an app they didn't use.

It's a developing story so everything is still a bit muddy.

I'll keep an eye on it. TY and Netflix gets used more by the kids but still very rare i use any of them at all. I use Spotify, Tidal and Apple Music daily though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I see so all surveys and long term reviews are meaningless because one person told you so....ok then.

Did I stumble into the conspiracy theory forum by accident....?

I agree with you. The other poster didn't agree because it attacked their particular car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Well for me it was definitely a consideration but as you know in the end I went with the Mustang instead. I do like overall the direction Volvo is going with their EV's and certainly will have them as a serious contender when it comes time to buy my next EV.

I’m on the waiting list for an EX30. It’s the next best thing to my i3 but I’m waiting to drive it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sorry to hear this. Did you consider rejecting the car based on these rattles, or was it just not that big a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

I drove the Volvo EX40 and liked that one a lot. Preferred it over the C40.

Too busy and lazy to give much of a **** TBH! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is he bad for tesla ? Yes, still.

Various articles covering it, little that stays on his X site though oddly. But isn't that why he bought it. Automate cleaning up bad press.

It's now the judges fault for pulling that his 56 billion pay package was unduly out of line due to board influence...

He's a menace

Sniff, I'm so focused on this man ;-)

Just thought I'd interact with your monologue here.

• Advertisement

I see he's held a public vote on his rant site to decide where to headquarter tesla , texas won. He's such a rationale figure and really good for business and shareholders..

I see his Nurolink venture has carried out its first implantation. Some massive consequences for millions of people if this works out. Great to see.

Yep ... not vapourware at all. Sure we'll all be not driving driving next week. After all sure it's a software company. But it's not. But it is But it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'm getting a slight vibe that you don't like Elon Musk 😁

Stay Free

What?

Sure we're out for pints on Friday night. Should see him in the whatsapp this week. Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

While I agree that a device like Neurolink could have massive positives for people living with disabilities, I'm slightly unconvinced it'll be all that it promises considering who's in charge of the company

So far Elon's biggest accomplishment there seems to have been impregnating one of the executives, behaviour which would have gotten any other CEO sacked

Anyway, if Elon sticks one in his head and survives then maybe I'll consider it. Much like how you shouldn't trust a chef who doesn't eat his own food, don't trust a rocket man who doesn't sit in his own rockets 😉

Also, apparently this was enough to drag me out of hiding 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭sk8board

Wasn’t aware of this thread at all.

i think the notion that Musk isn’t harming Tesla car sales is a bit disingenuous.

both my wife and I have changed cars lately and Tesla was on both shopping lists and were ruled out because of the Must association. We just felt the musk association has created a ‘Tesla driver’ vibe to owning a Tesla (like ‘BMW driver’ in the 00’s or ‘Audi driver’ in the 10’s).

it’s definitely ‘Tesla driver’ now, and musk just seems to cultivate what it means to be a ‘Tesla driver’ - I must stress this is our own opinion, but it’s also our own money being spent, so …

a car is just a car to us, we don’t want to spend €100k on 2 cars and be judged for it. We just want a car

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ah jaysis, I thought this thread has died already 😂

I suppose now that we're a few months on since the start of the thread we can start to draw some conclusions

In general, Tesla sales haven't cratered and are still increasing. They don't seem to be going up at the rate the shareholders want, but that seems more down to market forces than Elon's antics

I do feel there's been something of a mental distancing between Tesla and Elon recently. Examples would be Tesla starting to do their own marketing instead of just getting Elon to post about it on Twitter

As for the owners getting abuse, well I think there's a certain anti EV crowd who will pick on Tesla owners no matter what. It might just be me but it seems like the attacks are less about attacking Elon now and just directed at Tesla owners

It was pretty funny a while back when Elon starting bringing up carbon taxes again and his new right wing fanboys reacted about as badly as you'd expect

I do think he's causing Tesla some issues in more obscure ways

There have been several cases recently where senior engineers from Tesla were redirected into doing work at Twitter or xAI. I've no issues with people having multiple jobs, and it makes sense to reuse resources across companies in a group

The problem is none of those companies are in partnership with Tesla (and in the case of xAI, is arguably a competitor) so none of these shared resources deliver extra value to Tesla, and likely costs them because they're losing some of their most valuable engineers

As CEO, it's Elon's job to deliver maximum return to the shareholders, and in this instance it looks like he isn't doing that. I'm pretty sure if he was anyone else he'd have gotten fired for diverting company resources elsewhere

One other example of Elon hurting Tesla is the Cybertruck. I'll say straight away, the CT was a divisive vehicle from it's announcement and I never thought it would sell as well as some speculators were saying

However, it looks like there was a lot more promised than delivered and some of that is arguably up to fulfilling some of Elon's more insane requests

The windscreen wiper saga, if true, would be a particular example. For anyone who hasn't heard it, apparently Elon insisted on keeping the single wiper blade despite the fact that it needs to swipe more than 50% of the windscreen.

This presents some difficulty so the designers wanted to switch to a different wiper design but the boss man said no and now the wiper has to move laterally while wiping as well, resulting in one of the most complex wiper mechanisms evet designed

Any other company would have just ditched the idea and saved money when they saw the idea wasn't worth the hassle. Now sometimes it's benefitted Tesla when Elon stuck to his guns in the face of adversity, but lately he seems to be coming out with a lot more bad ideas than gold ones

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

The Cybertruck is a massive failure. There's no need to mull over micro details like window wipers. It's one big boil on the arse of the company and I'd imagine a large financial crater too.

It'll probably quickly fall out of the news as they press into budget vehicle mode delivering the 2. You won't hear about CT any longer. Big mistake vehicle

Advertisement