Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 1) Corballis (18th Feb @11:50am) *4club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Alanm

Please put me down for a lasagne RoadRunner. Looking forward to it, never played a 4 club challenge before!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

What's the worst that can happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Is there any particularlly long carrys over cabbage to fairways. I'm think 8i, PW, 54° and Putter at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

No, none that you'd struggle to clear with an 8i (assuming we don't have a crazy wind). But it could be a long course with an 8i your longest club. Depending on the wind you could struggle to reach a few of the par 3s. And a few of the par 4s could be par 5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

9th hole will be a real problem with an 8 iron. If its anyways windy you'll need at least a 6 iron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

Any chance 1 of ye lads could post a course guide with the clubs ye would usually hit.

Played it once but can only remember the weather.

Brutal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

180..190 YDS club 1

80...160 YDS club 2

56/58 WEDGE club 3

PUTTING TOOL... Can be a putter or other #4 or #1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

5 spots available folks.

we will give it the weekend to allow any stragglers to book in and after that we might have to give a slot back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Ages since I've played Corballis, so beginning to have doubts about my club selection. From memory with no wind for tee shots

1 carry of about 150ish?

2 Max carry of 130/140?

3 Whatever you like

4 100?

5 160?

6 100?

7 150/160?

8 Anything you like, but long enough hole for Corballis?

9 Card seems to have 9 a lot longer than I remember at 170ish?

10 1 and 10 are potential problems if into wind, can they both be into?

11 150ish?

12 Anything you like

13 130ish?

14 One with the narrow gap/ditch, not sure what the carry is past it or short of it?

15&16 Both anything you like with adjoining fairways

17 130ish

18 Can't remember best landing spot here or ideal carry?

Love anyone with more experience here to correct me anywhere I'm wrong!

Serious business this club picking lark 😃

Edit: I mixed up 9 and 10. 9 is the tougher par 3 with water down the left.

Post edited by The Big Easy on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They've a pretty good website, which has a video of each hole with a brief description.

Should i be sharing this with the competition? 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

@willabur did a very good one some time ago - he might be able to provide a link to it?

But for me from the whites it's something along the lines of

1. probably a pitching wedge distance. Wind is usually from right to left and slightly into you, so a 9i would be more common. I played on saturday and hit a 9 iron almost into the rough by the beach on the second tee 😖. There's no real advice for this hole - the green is huge so just try to hit it. The rough over the back can be awful so you don't want to be in there. The bunkers at the front are awful too, so you don't want to be in them either.
    2. wind is usually into you on this hole. With no wind it's roughly a 9i to the plateau and a 3/4 gap wedge to the green. An 8i and 3/4 pitching wedge would be more normal. Aiming for the left of the green is generally better, depending on your angle. If you're coming from the very right of the fairway I'd aim for the middle as you don't want to go too far left of the green.
    3. With no wind or a mild one a driver will get me over the hill on the right. That will leave me something like a 7i to the green. With a normal wind that's a big carry, so you're left landing it in the narrowest part of the hole, with thick rough right and left. And even if you hit the fairway you'll be left with a low iron or even a wood to the green. You don't want to be long with your approach, or left and definitely not right. Short is fine as long as you're not too short and you're straight. So you might want to consider playing a 4/5 iron from the tee, laying up with a 7/8 and then hitting a gap wedge into the green. Then three putts for a point.
    4. A flick of a gap wedge down. It's downwind, so it's just a question of how close to a full swing you'll be making. With a big wind the sand wedge might even be the club. Short is fine on this hole, but you can't really aim to lay up 60m on a par 3 index 17. That said, it's easy to go long and not a good place to be. If you hit the ball into the bunker on the right and haven't brought a properly lofted club you have to ask yourself, is the ball worth climbing down to retrieve or should you just leave it down there? And you definitely don't want to go left.
    5. With no wind roughly a 7i, so a 6i with a mild one. For the best approach being left on the fairway is best, but there's acres of room to the right. It will mean you might have to play your second over the hill and blind and longer. From a tight line left I'll leave myself about a gap wedge in. Going right it could be more of an 8i. I generally try to be safe from the tee and somehow go too far right half the time. Which leaves me a longer approach again from the rough - it even rules out going for the green a lot of the time. Short of the green isn't too bad as long as you clear the hill on the right. Although, to a back right flag it can be very hard to get it close to it. Immediately over the green and to the left of it is thick rough.
    6. It's a hard wind to judge, but it's probably into you. A pitching wedge / 9i would be roughly the right club here. The bunker over the back of the green is often a good line. But if you're accurate make sure not to be long! The bunkers short right are just as bad. It would probably be easier getting a wallet out of a Cavan mans pocket than a ball out of those bunkers.
    7. 9/8 iron at the barbers pole will leave me a 3/4 gap wedge to the green. The green is in range for stupid people.
    8. Where the flag is now, a fairway wood will get to the green. And there's no danger anywhere.
    9. This is an enormous green and I recommend attacking the flag if it's in the middle of the green or front right (which is rare). If the flag is back left, middle of the green is the sensible play. But don't announce this on the tee, as a pull usually goes a little longer, so aiming to the middle of the green and pulling it could be perfect! A 7/8 iron is probably right for no wind / a mild one and a middle flag. For a front right (which is rare) a 9i is probably about right.
    10. Similar distance to the 9th, but wind generally with you and the back of the green is fine. So with no wind maybe a 7i. 8i with a wind. This is the only hole on the course that you really shouldn't be looking at more than a bogey, there's really no danger on it and a massive green. In my fourball last weekend, we all had 5s here.
    11. The only hole I don't like on the course! Because the layup generally leaves you hitting blind into the green with a sandy / divoty lie. And the layup is a bit risky - very easy to end up in a patch of rough in the middle of the fairway. But I think most will have to lay up for our day here, so perhaps about an 8i to lay up? And then a gap wedge to the green. If going for the green I'd be hitting a 3/5 wood generally. Or a 4i if there's a big enough wind.
    12. Par 5 - with no wind it's probably a driver / 5i. For me the landing area for the driver is actually very narrow, so I tell myself if I have a score going on this tee I'll hit a 5w / 4i from the tee. I haven't been in this position since deciding this. The wind is generally with you here, so a 7i would be more normal for my second after a good drive. But for this outing, I'll be hitting an iron to the middle of the fairway, perhaps another 5i short of the green and then a gap wedge on.
    13. Wind generally with / across you here. Uphill, so a pitching wedge / 9i generally the right club. With the rough the way it is at present, the ball is often running down it and it should definitely do it over the back of this green. So slightly long should be fine. Short is not fine - it can be a very tricky green to pitch back up to. I went short last weekend, but played an intelligent shot back up and used the bank over the back of the green to let it run back down to the hole. It obviously got stuck on the bank. I chipped out and it kept running all the way off the green and down the bank again, leaving myself a longer chip than I had the first time around. I hit a slightly better chip this time lower down on the bank onto it's steepest part. Obviously it got stuck again.
    14. Wind with you here, so generally a layup with a 6i or so. You don't want to go too long or you'll run into the rough. This should leave me a wedge / 9i to the green. There's lots of room in front of the green and less over it, so I'd rather be short than long.
    15. A good drive here makes a big difference. If you don't get over the hill, it's possible a blind second and possibly long - could be a 5i. It's usually downwind, so a good drive here will leave me a wedge of some sort to the green. I think everyone will be short of the hill on our day which will make this hole interesting. Anything right of the fairway is in trouble. And don't go over the green! And it's a tricky green.
    16. This is parallel to the 15th, so generally into the wind. With no wind I'm looking at a drive and pitching / gap wedge. Into a mild wind it could be a drive and 8i. This could be long on our day. The rough right of the green can be nasty. And there's a big run off left of the green which will leave you a very tricky (hopefully) 3rd shot.
    17. Generally into the wind, so about an 8i up. At this time of year, if you're up on the top tier, you should be able to keep it on the green if putting down to the lower tier. Left of the green is big trouble. Right on the green not too bad. For a top tier flag I aim for the middle of the green. I'll hopefully two putt from the bottom tier and have a chance of a bird from the top. For a bottom tier green I'll aim for the flag. You're better off chipping from the right of the green than putting from the top. And it should pretty much take the rough on the left out of the hole.
    18. I'll generally hit a 3w from the tee and leave myself a wedge to the green. It plays into the wind so that's a 9i in a mild wind. There's a spare fairway to the left of your fairway, so lots of room there.

Just to mention - I've given my clubs for no wind / a mild wind. There's almost never no wind. And if a mild wind is a one club wind, a two club wind is probably more typical. A three club wind is very common. And those days where there's 100m of a difference between your 4i into the wind and with the wind do happen. On a day like that I have no advice for you. There's just no way to play the course!

NB: Shouting Fore!

Just to stress, there are a couple of spots on the course that are a bit dangerous. Obviously, if in doubt, shout Fore! But if it's a very tight course and if you can't see where your ball is landing there's a good chance it's landing very near someone. The most common spots for close calls are

• The 12th fairway crosses the walk to the green on the first hole. Have a look right before walking to the green for golfers hitting to the 12th green.
    • Make sure the people in front of you are gone from the 7th fairway before hitting. It's hard to see them from the tee. We were nearly hit there last weekend.
    • Same story for the layup on the 11th. They might have to wait for the green, so don't assume they're gone because they should be.
    • The 14th and 18th fairways are parallel. If you go left on the 14th and can't see where it's landing please shout loudly! The same goes on 18.
    • The 15th and 16th fairways are parallel. Stand in to let people tee off to keep things moving. And don't assume people will aim for their own fairway. From 16th, anything right of the fairway is OB. Aiming for the middle of the two fairways is the smart play here. So standing in the middle of the fairway on 15 to let people tee off on 16 is a bad idea!
    • And finally, don't stand perpendicular to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Shocking new data, previously undisclosed, with far-reaching consequences has just been made available to the public.

Bluenote you have supplied for the younger Gen.

Here is more age appropriate take from my Ikea trip. From the whites soft breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Create as much confusion as possible. Gotta get an edge.🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Played a 9 hole 4 club challenge at Sutton GC today, 17 points with a silly scratch on the last. Played with Rescue, 8 Iron, 54 degree wedge and putter.

Was never really struggling to find a club to match distance, maybe on the 7th where I had to lean on the 8 iron from 160 into a strong breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Snackbox20

How is sutton? I've walked that beach 1000 times with the dog but never played the course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

9 holes in my home course today. Got there early and some practice in before. We have a couple of practice bunkers, so tested out the 50, laying it wide open, worked quite well, but I guess it's not a links deep bunker.

Hit 1 bunker on the course and used it again, out fine and held the green.

Wasn't playing fantastic, so decided to just play 4 clubs for the last 4 holes, hybrid, 7i, 50, putter.

Index 8, 380 yards, hybrid, hybrid, chip, putt, par

Index 2, 430 yards, hybrid, hybrid, wedge, 2 putts, bogey

Index 14, 170 yards, hybrid, 2 putts, par yards,

Index 6, 540 Yards, hybrid, hybrid, wedge, 2 putts, par.

solid stuff, not links style holes, but happy with outcomes and think it should work

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

From today I've pretty much settled on 5i, 8i, putter and either 48 (1st choice) or 54 wedge.

48 would be the preferred choice, but not ideal for bunkers. 54 will be shorter then I'd like it from looking over the course guide.

Looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great build up to this one - the picking of the curry and clubs.

Have had an injury in build up. Disappointing, as I imagine I have played this course more than anyone here (except the members).

I love the place and course - yes it is quirky and short - at times not in great condition, But is a mini version of all the classic Irish links courses. There are holes there that lift the heart as you stand on the Tee box - the fear of 2 - the anticipation of the drive on 3 - the eye widening surprise of holes 4 and 6. The fascinating strategy of 7 and the unbelievable shot making required on 9 and the late par 3s 13 and 17.

It is perfect for a 4 club challenge - as it will have minimal impact on the sequence of play and you couldn't pick a course more aligned distance wise. Most of my round around there was a 5 iron / 8 iron and a GW anyway (when I could hit low irons well).

On club selection - the thread has been interesting - but people very generous with the info (lol) - I wouldn't tell anyone 😂. But the game is up here.

Would be worth posting after the round the various pros and cons of your club selection.

I love a round of golf by the sea - most of us, will never be members of top class links in Ireland. Top class links course in Ireland are now mostly too expensive , too difficult , inaccessible and at time too formal and unwelcoming.

Corballis was a great way for the public to play Links golf in Ireland - it has lovely deep dunes , sea views and great ground conditions.

Hopefully I'm in good shape for next Saturday. I'd say fingers crossed - but I'll never underestimate crossing fingers again.

My club selection at present is 5 or Hybrid - 8 iron - 52 - putter,

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭spuddy4711

It’s Roadrunner’s call, but you may be allowed play one handed, Fix, so hope you can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

In a race to be fit also. Had appendicitis appear out of nowhere on Tuesday, so they were taken out on Wednesday. Doc says there should be no reason not to play if I'm not feeling sore, so will make a call towards the end of next week.

I see the excuses are coming thick and fast. Sure I might as well get on board.

I took up the game as a kid so have a quarter of a century worth of bad habits. Not like those lucky golfers who are new to the game. Also I'm familiar with the course. I've scar tissue from head to toe. Those unfamiliar with the course will be able to stand on the 4th tee, see a green and hit a ball at it. I'll know about the danger left and right and long, so muscle memory will kick in and I'll shank it towards someone's golf bag.

I hope you feel better on the day guys!

One more tip. If the putt looks straight, play it straight. Don't look for minute slopes and breaks. The greens are true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

With your 46 pts at first outing last year - and now on a home club. I don't think we will be taking your excuses.

Advertisement