Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 1) Corballis (18th Feb @11:50am) *4club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya funnily enough, thinking about it more in depth I'm kinda of swaying on my initial opinion. Looking forward to it

5 Wood, 8 iron, 54 Degree, Putter now

Bit fearful of 52 degree not being lofty enough for certain shots. 8 iron is hybrid enough for most chips, so don't fully see benefit of my 52 degree

I genuinely don’t know how a 52 degree cannot give anyone enough loft.

Will already have 8 iron that I can use for chips etc anyway, and there's probably only 12 yards between my 52 degree and 54 degree, so might-as-well go with the loft. That's my line of thought anyway. Not 100% on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

You'll never struggle with height though. You've crazy high flight with your irons/wedges.

Well if I can do it…… anyone can

i really want to play this event with just a 3 iron……….

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

Curry for me please @RoadRunner

Now Thinking,4 wood rescue , 8 iron , sand wedge and New putter 👀👀👀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Trying to find 4 clubs that I can hit decently is the problem I'm facing. Very little golf makes you wonder if the feel good factor will ever return. That said a day out with the boards gang, some banter and a curry is just the treat I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭spuddy4711

Wondering if others will have their four clubs rattling around the bag on a trolley, or should I root out those wizened apples and find the strap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll have the trolley, unfortunately. Don't have a lighter bag, and its a bitch to carry due to the strap position.

I have a very light carry bag with popout legs on it. I've already transferred my gear in to that. Start the countdown, the prep has begin!

I wouldn't be surprised to see people just carrying 4 clubs loosely in their hands with a small carry bag over the shoulder with a jacket, tees, golf balls (and a naggin).

hadn't thought f the naggin 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

Come on Captain.

Tell us your what's gone in the bag.

Bound to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I imagine Roadrunner will arrive with 4 separate 4-club golf bags.

Then on arrival at the course will set up his personal weather station and complete an analysis of the conditions on site

Then depending on that, select the relevant bag combo accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭token56

I've never played Corballis so I might be making a huge mistake here but I'm going to take a slightly different approach. I'm going with 5 iron, P wedge (maybe 9 iron), 56 degree, putter. For the yardages on the score card an 8 iron doesn't make sense to me. For the shorter par 4's I'm thinking you could do two full P wedge/9 iron shots rather than a 5 iron and an easy 8 iron/killed wedge and the longer par 4s, 5 iron and a full wedge/9 iron. It will also be better for the par 3 yardages that I'm seeing. The problem holes will be 9 and 10 which the 8 iron would be good for but I think there are more benefits overall.

Again I could be wrong and maybe the wind will complete screw me over but I think it's worth a shot.

Don’t think I’ll be to far off that selection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

To me the format will definitely favour the lower handicaps. There will be more feel shots and the higher handicaps will typically struggle on them. I know myself when I try to hit a three quarter 8 iron or the like I'm far more likely to slice / hook it. And you'll have to take a bit off shots throughout the round. There are only a couple of holes on the course you can go over the green on and be confident of having a reasonable shot back on.

I got out for my first round here since September at the weekend and it was back to normal. I played fairly well - slightly better I felt than I'd played in Skerries the week before. But I'd 38 points in Skerries and 28 in Corballis. I'm pretty sure I'll be a write off for this event.

They've cut back the rough at the moment though which will make the round far easier. There's actually a lot to be said for keeping the rough like that all year round. It would really speed up pace of play to be able to find your ball that much quicker.

^ 5 clubs 😔

Who's stupid idea was this anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mid-high handicapper's round are destroyed by lost balls at a cost of 2 strokes each usually, mitigating this with removal of driver will have a surprising impact on these scores.

A very good bud of mine is off 24, I asked a few years back could I tell him all the clubs for him to play during the round and he said why not. I left the driver in the bag off most tee shots and when he missed the fairway he would always have taken a 3 wood to get back up the fairway which was crazy so all those shots were 9 irons. He shot 44 points that round with just one lost ball

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

But people aren't hitting the driver much in Corballis when they shouldn't. A relatively short hitter might hit it on 3, 5, 8, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18. There's plenty of room to land the ball safely on those holes. The driver is probably the right club for them on those. For a more average hitter, of those holes I could see a few take it out on 3 and 5 who shouldn't. It wouldn't be an option on 14 as they'd be too long anyway. And for longer hitters there are only 4 holes you can hit it on. And in fairness, there's a very good argument to be made only one you should.

On most courses though I agree. When I was a member in Tramore, I'd usually only take out my driver for the first time on the 7th hole. On the first 6 holes the driver would just be getting me closer to trouble.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well pretty obvious from this thread a great idea whoever came up with it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

I wouldn’t mind trying this out Slave to get a 44 point round and a decent cut ? Round 2 mabye😃!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

Nah, you wouldn't listen to him.

"Roadrunner you can't hit driver carry 280 over water. Lay up"

I can only imagine the response.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Yeah, he'd probably be like: "Bad chips are always worse then bad putts".

I'd be: "But good chips are waaayy more savage looking than any type of stupid putt. Watch this.".

Him: "Okay for your second attempt at this same shot now I want to you try putt it"

I actually don't think it would work so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭token56

Early long range forecasts have the weather ok right now. No sign's of any big weather fronts anyway. Looks like a very typical February day.

Advertisement