Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 1) Corballis (18th Feb @11:50am) *4club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

This course was the first outing in 2018 when I was Captain. We had 40 players on the day which was a great turnout as is Saturday coming. It was an awful day for golf so with the forecast a lot better this weekend I’m really looking forward to a return visit.

Probably bringing the full bag aswell but I’m fairly nailed in my own mind the 4 clubs …… I also use my 8iron a lot around the greens instead of Pga tour style flop shots ( a bit more realistic for getting results)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

Thanks Space, the map with compass will work. Couldn't find that map on Corballis website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

That nugget was also passed to me years ago by fix

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Did ya...lol....I don't even do that....now!

anyway..

I guess if you know a course well enough , you just know...

One of the nice traditions in certain clubs is to have an actual flag on the clubhouse...like many things in the past there was logic and experience in it.

From.the entry to the course , you know what day you are facing and information is in your mind of what the wind means for certain holes...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Course map on back of card.

• Advertisement

The incinerator in dublin bay is your 'flag'. I've used the incinerator smoke to accurate tell wind direction from as far out as portmarnock links.

It sounds like your surprised that a tip you gave me I actually use 😀😀.

In fairness, I take in everything that's told to me. Even though I throw out most of it... I'm good at finding the little bits of gold that relate to my game/golf issues and even life problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I don’t get it. I don’t see any benefit or logic to drawing an arrow when standing on first tee. We live in Ireland. The weather changes by the minute. It will blow softly in one direction and 5 minutes later a gale in the other.

just throw a pinch of grass in the air as setting up for your shot, it will tell you how strong and what direction wind is blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Probably less of an issue out on an exposed links, but if you're in a tree lined parkland, could end up in a sheltered spot out of the wind blowing above.

Wind, going by Met Eireann now is back to a consistent strong westerly wind.

Yes, the par threes in the back nine at our place have large trees surrounding the teebox. Often you know it's windy but don't know the direction. Having an arrow to refer back to can be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm starting to get tempted to put in the 4 utility instead of the 5 iron. Even though I'm a lot less familiar with it and wouldn't at all be confident in taking a bit off a shot with it. But it could be handy on the longer holes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭token56

I'm fairly sure I saw it mentioned already but just want to confirm, this is Stableford scoring correct?

Will be interesting to see the reaction of some people having to play off less than their HI due to the slope.

So, if you're HI is 19.5 or higher you'll definitely be playing off a lower PH than your index.

But lower than that, at best you'll be playing off your rounded HI, but could be off a shot lower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Be interesting to see who turns up with a full bag and didnt realise its a 4 club challenge 😂

hmmm, I'm not so sure you got the numbers right on that one! I think there were only 17 eejits who togged out that miserable day

...if you see someone do it, say nothing but count the first 4 clubs they use.

After that let them know they're stuck with them for the rest of the round

Only 24 hours left. Tomorrow looks likely to be dry, but windy, and overcast. Personally, I'll be taking some raingear just in case.

A word on pace of play:

It's February, the last groups may be fighting against light to get in in time if groups ahead play slowly. We've arranged the groups so that a senior society member is in each group on this one to add some experience.

My mantra on pace of play is just 2 simple points:

1) DO NOT be afraid to suggest your group picks up the pace when you feel it needs to be said.

2) DO NOT be insulted when a playing partner in your group suggests the pace needs to be picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

What a time to be alive! The start of every boards season is always exciting! Look forward to meet some old and new faces! Lets play ball...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

These beauties arrived just in time. Can't wait to get out 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭bobster453

Enjoy the day folks.

Currently recuperating after being in the care of wonderful people of our health service for a while.Fantastic people doing a great job.

Brings home the importance of being able to do what we do in the society.

See you in March all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Concerned2

Lovely looking club. I changed my 22 year old irons last week to Mizuno 923 Hot Metals and have only got to try them for a couple of quick holes. I've no idea how far I hit each as they are lofted differently from my old ones so how I'll pick my 4 clubs will be a bit of guesswork !

You're going to have to dress nice too playing with something like that 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

Mabye the punishment should be the player has to wear a driver head cover on each hand while playing the round?

Hope you recover - was wondering how you were not around in build up. See you soon.

Got out and hit about 20 1/2 shots - not saying I'm in any way fit. But will enjoy the walk - tap it around and see how I feel at 12 - always an option in Corballis. I'd say last place is secured.

Is there a most golf prize RR ?

Looks very sexy

you wouldn’t want to mess them up though

so I suggest leaving that plastic on them ……… till after tomorrow anyway 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

Wishing you all the best Bobster.

See you in March.

• Advertisement

Weather looks perfect - at this stage, many years in the past we would be.

"It looks to be improving"

"If the wind could pick up - it might improve"

"The child of Prague"

"Ken do your sun dance"

"I've better weather on this website - I prefer this weather"

" Would it ever be called off if that bad ? "

"So much for global warming"

" I forgot my rain gear"

Anyway - looks good (but can change again)

Advertisement