Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 1) Corballis (18th Feb @11:50am) *4club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭spuddy4711

As winner last year of a lovely prize for playing the most golf, I hope you’re fully recovered by tomorrow, Fix. New grip for my ball retriever arrived today, so ready to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It'll need some extension to reach the Irish sea! 😅

Just the gusts of up to 54kph tomorrow, grand soft day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Looking forward to FixDePitchmark, Snackbox20 and scubapro showing me the ropes tomorrow

Never played Corballis so I feel I may get swallowed up

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Snackbox20

Get well soon @bobster453 , hope to see you back out on the fairways in no time .

• Advertisement

Tonight I sleep, tomorrow I'll probably sh** my pants.

Links golf and a new course, and first group out.

Feách it, hit my 3 clubs of choice well on the range last night, going to give it a lash tomorrow and have the craic.

Looking forward to seeing ye guys and catching up.

Regards,

The golfer formerly Known as Snackbox 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

Get we’ll chat soon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I assume someone is at the course already to give us a weather update? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Well. We will all be wearing shades with that new bling you're bringing. 😄

Bb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Dry enough and wind is low for now. Nice morning for golf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Results for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

Great spread of scores especially among traditional front runners.

Makes the next few rounds really interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Thanks Roadrunner for starting us off with the novelty of only using 4 clubs. I'll be honest, I was dubious but rather enjoyed not having to make decisions. Delighted with my choice of 3wd, 8i, 52° and flat stick... Well done gg on the win, some great shots played today. Had the pleasure of golfgraffix, tiger, and big easy today and really enjoyed the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

two's money added back there to competition purse.

well done to all the winners.... and losers 😁

it was great to be back, looking forward to the next one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Clubs

2 Hybrid - 7 iron - 52 degree - putter.

So back on the train with the most unusual society in the country. The 4 club challenge added another new dimension to the outing. Was fun getting the various insights from people - and the different strategies at play. Some old and new faces all gathered at the first.

It was touch and go all week - If I should play - and if it was not Roadrunner's first outing, I would not even have considered it. The objective of the day was to just get around without any further damage (to a wrist injury) . Very steep on first hole and was off to a bad start. But I managed to tap it around from there and did ok under the circumstances.

I played with Callaway - Snackbox20 and scubapro - Callaway is a fine powerfull ball striker - but just lacked course knowledge , a thing you need around there. Snackbox has a wonderful game around the greens - but was just unlucky with a few lost balls. Scubapro has not really played golf for a few years - and under them circumstances did very well around the place - and in particular on the par 3s.

Corballis is a fascinating place - loved and hated , sometimes at the same time. Course condition was very good , just the divot issue was very evident , sad, as the grass is very good in the key areas around the greens - divot bags should be compulsory (full stop) .

I haven't really been out there in a while - but the run from 2 to 10 - is such a fun, great run of Links golf. Short , but dangerous. You can be inches from a birdie to a 7.

Around the 4th - my hand was feeling a bit better and actaully played ok for a period. Was frustrating - as when i seen a shot I would like to play , I had a bit of fear in my to do it. So ended up sort of tapping the ball around the ground. Was more like hockey than golf.

The wind was a real test with a normal bag - so add in the complication of effectively only 2 clubs of any use in this and you are quickly playing bogey golf.

We could see behind, that Golfgraffix was hitting great shots and he looked very focused on every hole - he looked like a guy who this could be his day. Calm - Zen like.

As we hit 15 and 16 - with a scramble ahead, and us with limited clubs , it got interesting trying to get the cross over done. As we hit 17 , there was a rare view of the stunning east coast all the way to Wicklow. The pin of 17 - was a death pin. Only Scubapro , hit the plateau.

On the 18th tee - I hit one more hydrid and was glad to get it away , realizing and relieved I had got over the day without any real damage to the hand. I was happy to get the round finished and needed some food.

Great call from the captain to use the neighboring club. Balcarrick , they were very generous with their facilities and welcome and value.

The usual guys doing the work on the cards - Space, Cathal, Seve - and a fine opening presentation to a fine audience from our captain.

Overall it was a great successful , novel first day. I was happy for the winners , who played great golf.

Catch all again - hopefully fully fit.

Fix.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tigerwood1

I predicted that low hcps would do well today but it seemed to be fairly evenly spread. Did anybody not use a putter today?

Started great but just could not get the hang of the greens which where in great nic. Got very tired near the end and badly missed my driver. Thanks to boh tofee and big easy for enjoyable round and had the pleasure of marking the winners scorecard golfgraffix who has'nt aged a day from the picture he posted this morning but his golf has certainly improved with a solid performance and great recovery on 17th where he putted off the green for a two but still managed to get up and down for a four to beat benny 🤣🤣🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

7 iron - PW - 54 - Putter

Having a 7 as my longest club was probably a mistake in retrospect considering the wind. Started subconsciously flipping the club early on trying to get a little extra out of it. Was consistently in the left rough and then flipped one completely on 5 that sailed to the Irish sea.

Hit plenty of good 7 irons though. After listening to "putting out of your mind" on the drive up, I just knew I'd have a bad putting day 😜

Had been playing the best golf of my life, so was a very disappointing display for me today. Shot a couple of 15 hole career best recently, +3 and +5 for the 15, for two huge scores and the Winter League lead. Was keeping my head down hoping to soar to glory again today, but was not to be. Everything was a little off today, but annoyed I couldn't grind out a better score than 21.

Was tough out there today though, from no placing, to a near three club wind, to just the four clubs, showing just how good a score 35 was all things considered.

Golfgraffix was in supreme control of his game almost all the way round, was a pleasure to witness it, a putting mantra really works you know 😉 Well done to Benny to on a great score.

Had good craic with bohtoffee and tiger, however none of us were at the races golfwise.

Looking forward to playing a new course in Rosslare next time out.

Thanks captain and all the committee as always, top job 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

What a great first day out under the auspices of our new Captain RoadRunner and wishing him the best for a great year. He did a brilliant job picking the courses and also got cracking conditions for today's outing in Corballis. The 4 club challenge added an extra dimension to the day, making us all use our brains in selecting the 4 clubs to use and deciding between some 3 quarter shots or forcing a shorter club. I went with a 4 iron, a 7 iron, a 50 degree wedge and the putter.

I played with kev_s88, spuddy4711 and Concerned2 and had a very enjoyable day on the links. Having recently got a pay and play membership in Corballis I was hoping a bit of local knowledge would help me to produce a decent round after some very poor performances in the Boards outings last year. It was looking good after 19 points on the front 9 but struggled a bit on the back 9 (I'm blaming doing a parkrun this morning for running out of steam!). I managed to par the last, getting up and down from the greenside bunker on the last thanks to the 50 degree, so worries about not having enough loft for bunkers was thankfully unfounded.

Highlight of the day in our group was the 7th hole where kev_s88 hit his 2nd shot over the back of the green, it landed well up the bank and rolled back down onto the green to leave him a tap in birdie (see pic). Spuddy4711 managed a birdie on the par 5, leaving his 3rd shot almost stone dead. It was my first time playing with Concerned2, he had some lovely shots but got a bit unlucky with a few that disappeared on him.

Congrats to society stalwarts GolfGraffix and Benny for shooting scores you'd be happy with carrying a full bag, never mind 4 clubs and to Bakerbhoy who is always there or thereabouts.

Fair play to Balcarrick for having us for the food and presentation. The food spread was fantastic.

Looking forward to the rest of the year.

ballyk

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

Also want to wish those who haven't been well recently like bobster well and hopefully they'll be fully recovered and playing golf with the society soon again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Quite the start to the year. An interesting event, that's been great for the forum and stimulated some really interesting chat.

Ended up going with:

4 hybrid, 7 iron, 50 degree wedge, Putter.

On the whole, I'm quite happy with the choices and think they were the right options for me.

Hit the hybrid really well all day, working it across a good range of distances and struck it nicely.

Also happy with the 7i too which I struck well, even when I had to open it up a bit and try cut across it to try playing a shorter distance.

Putted pretty well overall I felt. Lagged really well from distance, didn't have a single 3 putt today. Had a couple of putts not drop and I've no idea how.

Game fell down with the wedge unfortunately, just didn't strike it well. Think it was the right loft but my swing was just a bit off with it, and in that wind today, it couldn't afford to be off.

Had some awful luck with lies and bounces, fried egg in the left edge of the bunker on the first, managed to get it out and make bogey, so a reasonable recovery.

Then my tee shot rolled 1 yard to far on 2, and ended up in a terrible downhill heavy lie.

Few other balls found divots and bald spots behind tufts of grass, so I can't complain too much over the 28 points I brought in.

Token56, r1986 and Kiith for company, and round was played in good spirits and great company, even if our golf wasn't always up to scratch.

First ever boards outing for Token and he got off to a flying start with a lovely 2 on the opening hole. Followed it up with another one on the 4th. A few loose ones in between, but a solid first outing and some great strikes.

R1986 is a savage golfer. Don't get out with a scratch golfer often, it's always a pleasure. Wasn't his best day at the office, and when you've no stokes on any holes, there's not much room for error. Putter probably let him down today, hit everything bang on line all day, but couldn't get the ball to the hole. Think he can put it down to incoming baby brain.

Kiith had the new babies (irons) of his own on the course. Hits such a class high bomb, and once he gets on a role puts together serious runs of scoring. Had a great back 9 and made some unreal up&downs towards the end, 17 being a special one.

Great to see so many familiar faces and some new ones too. Has the makings of another successful year.

Golfgraffix said to us earlier in the week that he felt he was going to win today, and he followed through. Well done on a great round of golf.

Couple of photos to finish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Clubs - 4i, 8i, 48, Putter

Delighted to be back with the society again, and was certainly an interesting start to the season. 4 club challenge on a blustery links...made it very interesting.

My own game was a bit weird. Really wasnt feeling it on the drive up, felt tired and kind of sluggish. But started OK with a nice 8 iron just off the back of the 1st, followed a 3 putt bogey. 2nd hole went for distance, ended up in the gulley, but had a lovely up and down for par. Next few holes were shite, and don't remember much about them 🤣

Started feeling more awake from the 7th onwards, and started getting a few more 2/3 pointers. Few unlucky rolls of the ball out me at the bottom of a few hills though, which cost me a few more points. Had more blind shots then I'd have liked as well, though my own mistake getting myself there. My biggest issues from last year were still creeping in (early extension mainly), which is frustrating, but I'm getting there.

My club choice worked fine, though I'd have liked a higher lofted club from those massive bunkers on a couple of holes.

Overall happy with the back 9, and happy to finish in the top 10 for the day. Never bad to have some points on the board.

Out with r1987, space and Token, and had a great time with the lads. r1987 hits the ball as well as anyone I know. Extremely hard to score well off scratch, but was a joy to watch. Token basically owned the par 3's. Nearest pin and 2*2s was no less then deserved. Space gamed his hybrid really well, with some cracking shots off the tee. Putts just weren't sinking for him though, and that cost him a bit. Had a great attempted **** from the water I'll post later too 🤣

Great day out lads, roll on March!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thanks to FixDePitchmark, Snackbox20 and ScubaPro for the round today. Good bunch to have for my first outing

In a sick way I’m not too disgusted with my 17 points as I felt I really didn’t strike the ball disgracefully or anything. I think the 5 wood would be substituted with the 4 or 5 iron if playing that same format there again. 5 wood brought wild shots into play whereas I could’ve knocked down a 4 iron etc when necessary

Putting was a struggle too - enjoyed the round 👌🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Well, that was the start I was looking for. I have been on a nice vein of form the past few weeks. I knew given I was playing well, it’s links, I know the course well and windy I would have a good chance if I just kept the head.

Past month or so has been tough, I lost my Dad a few weeks back, he was the guy who taught me how to play and more importantly how to putt well.

I was very lucky to have had one last time with him on the course just before he died. He was shattered from his treatment but wanted to get out of the house for a bit, so we went to the practice area at The Links and had a putting competition. Was such an apt way to have what was his last day outdoors. Finished with that old golf saying of “sure isn’t it better to be looking down at the grass than up at it”

On my first day out playing after he passed I promised myself I’d relax and enjoy the game more, rather than the competition, try to be less of a prat when things went wrong. And guess what ?? It worked. I’m sure I’m not the worst offender out there but I’d say I was difficult to play with when not playing well.

Today was just an extension of that mindset, felt very confident with my club choices and started nicely with 4 pars, had a stupid double on 5 from 78 yards but didn’t let it bother me as it normally would. Turned 3 over for 20 points, but knew I’d struggle somewhat on the back 9 with the wind direction. Started the back 9 with 3 bogeys and no shots to go from 2 better to 1 behind twos. Par on 13 and 14 to go one better and then a scratch from nowhere on 15. Three good putts on the last 3 won it for me.

From start to finish it was an enjoyable game, played with Bigeasy whom I’ve known for ages, some great shots but by his own admission probably needed one longer club, with us was Tiger, another of the society old timers and a joy to play with, perfectly calm all of the time. Making up our 4 ball was BohToffee, I think that is the 1st time we played together, not his best game but man he can hit a big ball, I guess at 6.6 he’s got all the power needed

Thanks to Roadrunner for setting up a great 1st day and of course to the committee guys behind the scenes.

Roll on Rosslare.

"That's a Sonia O'Sullivan, she is ugly, but she will run" and I thought a topper was for only sharpening pencils.

Club selection 5w, 7i, 52°, and putter.

First outing in the new boards society year and it was at a new venue for me, the much talked about little links course of Corballis, a beautiful course with stunning views of the Dublin coastline giving that feeling that this does not feel like the east coast but rather somewhere else. I had been playing ok in the home course winter league and after all the debate about what clubs to play, I was confident with the 4 chosen above. But alas today's golf was a different game.

It was great to meet see some familiar faces and was introduced to new golfers particularly Scubapro and Callaway92 who were out on our group along with Fixdepitchmark. I was really looking forward to this outing and the idea of 4 clubs was a great ice breaker/ starter into what hopefully will be another brilliant golf year for boards. But alas there was a block in the head and the first shot took off like Flo jo and jogged like Sonia into the first bunker, the wedge worked and came off with a 4. But the topping continued throughout and there were some scores I was ashamed of.

The boys were playing some lovely golf, Fix was playing some excellent recovery shots as he got his groove on the back 9, Scubapro, you certainly did not play like a player away from the game for 2 years, and Callaway92 like Fix mentioned you have a sweet strike of the ball, I think we are in trouble when we get back to the full bag for the next outing.

Very happy with my short game and putting albeit on some nice putts I was finishing for 6s and 7s.

Really enjoyed today and congrats to Golfgraffix on a fine finish of 35 points. Great start.

As always stellar work by the lads in the background who assisted captain with the scorecards and scores etc, epic work.

Apologies I didn't get to catch up afterwards as I was heading back to Waterford, it's 1:53 and while it's still fresh in my head I'm scribing or regaling my report card of the day. A lot to work on ahead of Arklow, looking forward to seeing you all there.

Goodnight golfers 🏌️‍♂️⛳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭token56

My first outing with the society and it was a really enjoyable one, much down to the great company of r1987, Kiith and spacecoyote. A big thanks in particular to r1987 who was a big help in guiding me around the course having never played it before but you were all fantastic.

I have to admit I was pretty nervous hitting the tee shot on the first, thankfully a nice kick left me with a chance of a birdie which I managed to hold. Unfortunately apart from a couple of the other par 3's that was a good as it got. It was also my first time playing a links course and that was really telling. I think I scratched 4 maybe 5 holes mainly down to poor course management. Overall my game was just very inconsistent, some very good strikes and some very poor ones, same with the putting. I'm working on my swing at the moment so I'm going to have put a bit of it down to that. But I'm very pleased with a top 10 finish and to get a little win on my first outing for a NP.

The 4 clubs made it an interesting game for sure but I quite enjoyed it. I don't think I would have shot much better with a full bag to be honest and a few lessons learned for my general play for sure.

Thanks again to the 3 lads, all fantastic golfers but we all had our fair share of bad luck with lies and bounces that meant it wasn't a day for big scores.

Already looking forward to the next one!

4i 7i PW 56'

Great day yesterday with Capt @RoadRunner , @LinoRichie and @jarrieta . My strategy of using 4i for greens work nearly paid off. Had it down pat in practice over last few weeks but second guessed myself for a par on the first and put doubt there. Operator error.

Couple of lip outs ultimately being the difference. Strike was good with the irons, only one bad hole in entire round. Having the extra club certainly made it easier to get on the greens. Couple of choice comments from the Capt had to be let slide. Great banter and conversation and at times some great ball striking from all our group. Putter not working for Jarrieta and Linorichie who really could have had a score if he had any luck as every putt looked like it was going in but alas no. RR has a beautiful strike on a golf ball and a solid game.

Even with the back up our time wasn't too bad with 4hrs 14 mins.

Congrats to @Golfgraffix and @benny79 on their scores.

Fantastic day , we off and running on a new season with a couple of breaks booked to coincide with outings.

See you in Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

3i, 7i, 52deg, putter.

Great to be back golfing with Boards GS. Thanks to my playing partners, SeveOB, Alanm and Macker1. First time to meet Macker1 a long time boards member and a sound lad. First time to play a round with Seve who had the best score in our group and he left plenty behind him. Alan is a class golfer but luck just didn't go his way, robbed of a great result on par3 13 by a sprinkler head . All sound lads and a pleasure to golf with.

Good weather, great setting and just enough daylight and no issue with my club selections but I just couldn't play them. Chipping was atrocious and iron play inconsistent. Practice needed before next outing.

Well done Golfgraffix and all the prize winners. Sorry for your recent loss John.

Get well Bobster and we hope to see you soon on the fairways.

Cheers BGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

4i 7i Sw putter

Great to be up and running ,a lot of work put in over the break to organise another great year and courses

Had the pleasure of playing with roadrunner ,bakerbhoy, jarriete, great banter and some very good ball striking, I have a ok front nine could of been better if a few putts dropped they looked good and just broke at the end

The back nine the luck was gone wrong club select on the par 3 no score same at the next

The 13 hit the bank at the back rolled on to the green and then down the path into a hole , the final few weren’t much better 😢Not my day that’s golf keep 😊we live in a beautiful country 🍀hard to beat the views from the 14 tee box

Roll on the next round

Slan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

Well done to all the winners on the day and especially @Golfgraffix for a great score in tough conditions, the links experience really showing. ( sincere condolences on the passing of your Dad and what a great memory to have of 1 last trip to the golf course , really nice to hear)

Onto my own day out, played with @kieran. @BigChap1759 and @oma29.We all had our ups and downs on the day , some great shots from everyone but no consistency… big chap gave us all the lines in fairness and really would have struggled more if he wasn’t there to guide us so thanks to big chap.

I had a solid start with 15 points ( bang on track as I was aiming for 30 ) but only 6 points coming back. Had a great Par on the 4th with a tricky distance downhill and a chip out from the hazard on the 8th hole sideways to get a great up and down from the fairway for a 2nd par.

Onto hole 9 is where I started to struggle , aimed for the right hand side of the bunker ( using my 4 rescue should have been well long) but the ball kept turning over and wind pushed it into the hazard. Took a drop then and Sand wedge was hit well but the wind caught it again and splash…..

10th hole wind behind us

I hit the 8 iron very solid and Managed to get to the green with massive wind behind but 3 putted then…. The finish from 11-18 for me then hitting a series of topped or poor shots ( mostly from indecision or trying to half hit a shot) killed my score on the day.

Overall a very enjoyable day though with no rain and great course conditions in February.

Personally didn’t like the crossing fairways on 15&16, just thought it was crazy not knowing when to hit etc…..

I think I’m missing the next outing will be out of the country so talk soon

PP

Advertisement