Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of shed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Not sure if you’re looking for a contractor but Neville’s in Roscrea do the curved sheeting if that’s any help to you. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would it cost much to get a kit shed like that galvanised I wonder? Painted metal not worth a damn here.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Sorry to hijack the thread but if you're not registered for vat can you claim vat back on build of a shed?

i.e say a young trained farmer can get the 60% grant and a shed costs 50k, they get 30k of a grant and then 13.5% VAT back on the remaining 20k?

So a 50k shed will cost 17.3k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You dont get the grant on the vat part ,but can claim back the full vat.

Shed is 40k +13k vat so it will cost you will get 24k grant so cost you 16k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You claim back vat first. Unregistered farmers can claim back vat on structural installation such as water, fencing, roadways and buildings

Shed costs 50k. You claim vat back its approx 5950 euro. The grant is calculated off the lower of the departments fixed costs or your receipts for the cost. If you paid 48k+vat they will give you 26,430 approximately in a grant, if you paid 40k+vat they will give you 24k in a grant. However you are allowed to include your own labour and machinery use so you can technically pad out the cost.

Slava Ukrainii

15 years ago it was about 10-15% of the price of a grand approved shed. They weigh the steel in and out and you pay on the extra weight.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Unfortunately not true, u pay per kg, full weight, it's over 1k a tonne now,

8x4 rsj is 23kg per meter, lads getting sheds galvanised are getting it for around 90 cents a kg I think at moment so Ur looking at roughly 20 euro plus vat per meter of steel, u add on for plates and cleates extra,

We think that shed is 6X3 RSJ so it would cost about 700 euro

If it was 8X4 it would cost 900ish at my calculations so from your pricing estimate

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Be more than that, u have 60 foot on back 72 foot on front and 6 X 22 for top, 80 meters of steel give 100kg for plates u be looking 1900 plus vat

Blocks are looking good again 😄

😂, Picked load out of pioneer today 1euro 1cent a kg plus vat, it's gone up alot in last few years

Divide by two the shed is 20X32. There is two on the trailer

3X10 at back, 3X12 at front and 3X22 on top.

If I was getting everything on the trailer for 1600 I be taking it as fast As I could

Slava Ukrainii

Good man bass, I was lookin at the trailer, Ur spot on regards the add, that's what I get for quickly glancing over it

Usually I try not to get caught twice in a row. 2 ba by 20' galvanized for sub 2.5k it would not be bad value

Slava Ukrainii

Ya steel was black by him at start so surly knock 200 off to paint , if u got for 1400 and give 850 for galvanised and carriage it be grand out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd say you would be doing well to buy the steel at e1600, before doing any cutting, welding, spraying. I'd take his hand off tbh. Think timber has dropped back a good bit dunno about sheeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Neighbour here is a joiner by trade and showed me a text that he got from his supplier a fortnight ago. It varies from species to species, but basically timber up 15-20% across the board come January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

Another question on shed construction, put in a handling yard for sheep a couple of years ago and now for comfort more than anything want to roof just over the race where most of the handling takes place. It's 14 ft wide and 45 ft long and joining onto existing shed. Block wall already in place 5 ft high around it. Question is would it work to build this wall up to 7ft high with 4 inch blocks and then just roof across to it or would this wall be unstable with wind catching it as it would be open at both ends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Plenty of sheds extended over the years in farmyards all over the country done just as you describe.

Assuming the existing is 4” block on flat and you are going to continue same to 7ft.

Ensure the rafters (or trusses) are physically tied down to the block wall so they can’t lift in a storm. Usually using some thing similar to a 50x50x5 angle iron about 3ft long with a hole at each end. Put a bolt through the wall at the bottom end and bolt to the rafter (or truss) on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

Most cattle sheds have been built around here in the 80s with cavity blocks, timber sitting between the top row, angle iron or even strong wire bolting them down to a few rows below. They are still there doing the finest.

It's the sheeting that I'm particular about. I got caught putting cheaper sheets over cattle, it had rotted around the nail holes after ten years. I had to replace it all. Eeerrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Who2

Don’t have a roof any lower than 11 foot at the lowest point. I know it’s a handling area but at 7 foot it would be horrible to work in. 11 foot will get any mid sized tractor in if you ever want to change it or do something else with it. I seen a lad done similar to what your saying and he just built to seven foot but built pillars every 16 foot and ran a purlin between to carry the rafters. It worked a treat , let in light and air and didn’t cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

11 foot wouldn't work for me as the existing shed is only 10ft and wouldn't like a valley between 2, wouldn't need machinery access as its narrow wouldn't have much other use and the handling unit is permanently fixed in place so only 6 ft either side

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SHS100

Folks,

Apologies for hijacking here. Just looking if anyone has any work done recently or have got figures around the construction of a slatted house.

I am in the early days of planning to move forward and replace the existing winter housing facilities with a new slatted shed with large creep/loose area.

I would be going for the TAMS

5 Bay opened at one side

Double tank with two rows of 16' 6" tractor slats. Tank to be 8ft deep

Large creep area/loose area to the back of pens, approx 30ft wide (from pen to rear wall of shed)

Mass concrete walls 8ft high

Steel structure to be galvanised, with timber purlins and fibre cement sheeting. Horizontal sheeting to be vented type.

Lights/Sockets and provision for calving & security cameras

Drinking troughs

I suppose what I am really interested in is cost of 1) tank with slats 2) Fab and erect of shed structure 3)Concrete floors and silage apron.

I am not too concerned with internal steel/gates/barriers as I have some of that stuff already

I dont want to be annoying my builder for prices at the moment as I am in the early days.

Appreciate any knowledge of feedback you may have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Easy work out the cost of your tank. Length of walls by the height by 300mm wide will give you how many cubic m of concrete you need. Same for the floor. Round 110 a meter now plus vat. Any slat crowd will give you a price in minutes. Then ring a steel crowd and they’ll do the same for re bar.

I’d imagine €10,000 will dig it out and cover labour for all the tank works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Who2

A double tank, shed and all you will be over 100k. A rough ballpark of 120k if you do a concrete apron and a bit of yard work. I wouldn’t think it will be all bells and whistles at that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭lmk123

About €80-90k for a 5 bay, 16’6, 10 foot deep tank with a 15 foot feeding passage all entirely roofed / covered, grant spec if that’s any good to you. I’ll give you more accurate costings if I ever manage to get this f*****g grant sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭lmk123

Advertisement