Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Very lucky getting tickets. Small groups yeah but got tickets in 4 or maybe even 5 resales in the last 10 years. Tickets were a lot easier to get before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think it didn't even sell out in the past. Around late 00s.

It's become very popular and bucketlisty.

I went in 2007 and even then people were saying it was better before the fence went up.

It's what you make of it really.

Wander around during the day and try to see the full site like Greenfields etc, have some food and a nap, then go wild for a few hours.

If you can see two or three good gigs a day, you're doing well.

Don't overdo it on drugs. Maybe keep it to Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think 2007 or 2008 were the years it started to become a guaranteed sellout. Probably largely due to social media like facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I must admit, I did find last year tough. Out of practice (And way out of shape) due to Covid. Also spent too long waiting for McCartney (Was just hitting our spot as Haim started). I intend on having a more chill one this year.

08 tickets were still available the week of the festival. The 07 festival was a bit meh.

09 was when it really went mental. Combo of the BBC coverage and Neil Young, Springsteen and Blur playing. Been chaos since then. And if this new ticket buying system sticks, it'll be very difficult to get tickets from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

07 was a complete washout, so 08 had less demand as a result.

You're right about social media and iPhone all started around 07 and 08.

They could actually hold it over two weekends and sell it out easily.

Probably makes more sense financially also, but will probably never happen.

The Sunday at the Pyramid stage looks good this year. I think I'd find a nice spot and just sip beer all day.

I recommend anyone to try it at least once, just to experience to size and scale.

Although I do think the "Glastonbury Spirit" is a figment of people's imagination.

I find smaller festivals have better atmospheres. I think the slog of Glastonbury saps people's energy and spirit a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Been to every Glasters since 2004 and similar to the lads above I'm OK missing this year. I usually look at the Pyramid headliners and WH as benchmarks for the fest. This year the weakest in a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Why should the new system make any difference? It’s still the same number of people trying for tickets and once you put down your registration numbers you’re done. I might be missing something but I don’t see how our odds have lessened.

I agree with the previous posters on this year having a weak-ish lineup. Still wish I was going, last year was far from the strongest set of acts and I still had a blast. Across the stages in 2023 are at least 50/60 acts I’d be delighted to see.

For all the foot-slogging and difficulties there’s nothing like it. There’s Glasto and then there’s everything else.

Before, anyone trying for tickets for someone else needed credit card info or be willing to pay themselves and then get the money back from the person theyre getting tickets for.

Now anyone can try for anyone. You dont need any payment details. In theory you could have 1000 people trying for 1 ticket - the likes of an influencer etc. Even college and school kids. They could have a whole class trying for them. Or an entrire floor in an office.

• Advertisement

Our crew have been doing this for a decade. Plus several other pals in groups I know, roping in family, pals, etc. When not going I help out pals who are trying for tickets.

I assumed that everyone did this, or they should. Anyway you can’t always get people online on a Sun morning. People will promise but not turn up. It’s a lot of hassle after a Saturday night out and you certainly won’t have whole office floors helping.

There’s a reason why the average age for a Glasto attendee is 39. The older crew are probably less hungover and more organised.

I can see sod all difference in October. Here’s hoping I’m not wrong.

There was a huge difference in the resale a few weeks ago.

How so? Anecdotal info or some stats from See Tickets?

I just expect the same number of people trying, with some having pals roped in as before. Not much difference.

How many of your non-Glasto going pals would go online for you at 8.50 on a Sunday morning and be prepared to stay online for 20/30 mins of frustration to input registration info? Not many I’d wager, and the same for almost everyone applying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've been going for a few years or so, and other than when we could pick up the tickets from local record shops in Bristol it's been fairly similar process for ages. They have just made minor tweaks to things and closed down some back doors that people discovered to servers, or issues with actually having greater chance of getting tickets depending on geographic location. The speed of sale is all preset by how quickly they decide to let the servers process orders, or if they have a system failure.

For many years it happened to be only me in my groups who was able to get through to make the purchase, but last couple of years it's happened to be others in the group who were the successful ones for all of us. I've only missed 2 years since '95. One because I was ill and another due to failing to get a ticket.

Its not 20 or 30 minutes anymore. Its 3 minutes. Complete randomers were getting tickets for people they didnt even know. You just need to copy and paste a reg number and hit enter.

That’s anecdotal info. And those who you describe as ‘complete randomers’ have always been getting tickets. The attendees are not always the best organised groups and long-time attendees. New people go every year.

I don’t understand why anyone is fearful of a system that stops you getting bounced off the page at the point of payment. It’s a major improvement. I’m not having a go at you, I just think all the speculation there is about the new system is a bit wild.

We know it’s pretty much a lottery and little will change this year. The same numbers will try. The same numbers will fail and succeed.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilNiall

The Churnups???? Are we buying this as The Foo Fighters? Seems very early to have them on 2 acts before Arctic Monkeys on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The letter Grohl published yesterday is more or less a confirmation, yep.

Oooh if it's during the day on Pyramid I might actually go, I haven't been paying attention to this rumour at all.

Post edited by MadYaker on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Secret set so would be playing a far lower slot than usual. That it's main stage itself seems mad, I'd assume done for H&S reasons

• Advertisement

Man, those Royal Blud lads are gonna be PISSED (again) when they see a huge crowd and watch half of it disperse before their set. Lol

I love all the rumours that go around about the secret sets. People putting 2 & 2 together and coming up with 10. Remember when Beyonce was headlining there was all these stories that the rest of Destiny's Child were gonna turn up and Jay-Z etc. Never happened. But sometimes they are right on the Mark (Killers at John Peel).

Yeah, I mean all the signs are that it's gonna be Foo Fighters. Would be good to see them in such a set as opposed to headline. Couple of their hits, couple from new album and off. Crowd will be huge though. For many, it'll be their first time seeing them. For most, it'll be their first time seeing them since Taylor died.

This festival's management is leakier than the titanic when it comes to secret sets. Everybody always knows who it is and where, they should always have been on the pyramid imo. Putting The Killers in the John Peel Tent in 2017 and Foals on the Park whatever year that was is borderline dangerous because of the sheer amount of people that try to show up.

Putting The Killers in the John Peel Tent in 2017 and Foals on the Park whatever year that was is borderline dangerous because of the sheer amount of people that try to show up.

Agreed. I believe it was the first time they closed off the area around the John Peel tent. We were there just chilling about an hour before and even then people were half way back to the flags. By the time they came on it was wedged. (I do remember their funny opening line: "They say you play two times in your career in the John Peel tent: Once on the way up and once on the way down..... It's good to be back at the John Peel tent")

It’s always deliberately leaked as I understand it, usually on the morning of the performance. This was the case in 2011 for Radiohead and Pulp at the Park.

That stops a 7pm scramble for the stage and a greater risk as people rush to get in rather than get there 90/120 mins before. I’ve never seen a dangerously overcrowded secret set there. They know what they’re doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭jonnreeks

I'm looking forward to the following, Candi Staton, and Guns 'n Roses as Slash, Axel Rose and crew are rolling in for their first Glastonbury headline slot.

Nearly there now. I’ve started packing, I haven’t looked at weather

Waste of time looking at the weather before Sunday/Monday anyway.

Has William’s Green been scrapped, no sign of it on the Clashfinder or eFestivals? I’ve caught a few acts there every time I’ve been in the last decade.

Yep they binned it. Its now "Carhenge". Load of old cars stacked up on each other. 😌

• Advertisement

Christ, what a waste. A nice stop off between West Holts and the Acoustic Stage. A good bar beside it and some great food places close by. A backwards move it seems.

Advertisement