Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Out of curiosity - what camping chair did you get? Staying in PodPads this year and they're (misleadingly) not very high - so probably need a decent one for sitting outside.

Wild Roots will be prep this weekend, albeit not camping.. as it's only the opposite site of Sligo with regular buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I got this: It looks very slender and I would imagine that it wouldn't take people just collapsing into it. But you don't have to be dainty either. I ACTUALLY got two types and plan on bringing both as they are so light. This is the smaller:

G4Free Portable Camping Chair Lightweight Folding Camp Chairs for Backpacking Picnic Beach Festival Hiking : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

And I got a larger one (More like the usual ones you see for 10 quid or so). It's quite expensive and has a higher back. Initially I thought "Oh I don't want to annoy anyone behind me" so I bought the smaller. Now I'm thinking "Skrewit. When I'm seated, I'm either far enough back so there's space to move or it's between acts."

(Mine one was in black) G4Free Lightweight Portable Camping Chair Outdoor Folding Backpacking High Back Camp Lounge Chairs with Headrest for Sports Picnic Beach Hiking Fishing (Maple Leaf Red) : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Both are VERY comfortable. Bit of wobble but seem OK.

They fold down into nothin'. Assuming you will have a small rucksack with water, poncho, booze, fleecy etc that you bring around with you, either one will EASILY fit in it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 taramurf

First time to Glasto for me! Would camp chairs be a thing there (at the stages)? Just curious….

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Had read before they were down to play opposite Elton alright so that spot makes sense. Would wonder why they just weren't included in main first announcement when The Guardian included them.

You can sit, but normally further back. You'll always have some twats who sit nearer the front even when it's packed for a long as possible but further begins the sound stages and you can probably begin to sit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes, definitely a thing. The stage areas are massive with just the Pyramid field being bigger than some entire festival sites would be. Sitting down is definitely a thing between acts, and during some earlier ones in the day as you sit down and sup on your cider in the sun and chill out.

^^^^^ This. 100%. Not only is this expected, not only is it recommended but it's almost considered impolite NOT to sample the wares from the home of English cider. So do the right thing 😁

Would love a can of Thatchers given the weather. Off license near me sells it so might pick up a few cans on way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah, I'm waiting until the clashfinder is done, reading that list is always head wrecking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Tickets arrived this morning.

Yeah I’m in work. Hopefully they put the slip through my letterbox and I can collect it this evening. I’m assuming it’s registered post?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got the email confirming despatch of the tickets. :)

My tickets arrived this morning too.

Anyone else think lineup across main stages pretty poor? Bar Elton, Fred Again, Chvrches (at a push) and "The Churners" - I'd be skipping Pyramid / Other.

Woodsies really good this year.

Yeah my daytime lineups are looking fairly sparse. I’m going to do more research on the bands.

Just got in from work to find my ticket in the letterbox. I thought it was registered post? Anyway at least they did it nice and early this year.

We had to sign for ours and has "Registered Post" on it so should have..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Pyramid looking ropey-as. Good bit of cost cutting.

I wonder was this strategic planning. Especially for Elton John. To help crowd control. Especially after McCartney last year. You had many many MANY people at the Pyramid for 6 or 7 hours straight for the buildup to McCartney: This was partially the fact that it was McCartney but the previous acts (Galaghar and... Haim I think?) would have had a similar audience.

So I think it's a way of moving the crowd around. It's what they used to do before. I think I'll catch G N' R (More because I've actually never seen them before - Each time I meant to see them something popped up). I mean not a huge fan but they should be fun. I'll catch Elton John 'cos might be the last chance (His final UK date ever? Yeah right.). But other than that, Acoustic, Park, Other and West Holts really for me. Some early stuff in John Peel... I mean Woodsies. Some sort-of-clashes we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I defo reckon some of the big acts ask/demand for a clear run at the headliner spot and a similar ish act on before them. Fairly sure that the Stones did in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I know Glasto isn't really about the lineup but it looks weak enough this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Could be to do with having just released some new material?

They've also had to cancel some shows this year due to Homme's legal disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

But they'd announced other shows when initial lineup was announced. And they only cancelled the one show, maybe he couldn't get someone to look after the kids that day

• Registered Users Posts: 32 reflekting

First time I haven't been since 2009 and I don't really have major regrets, the price and depth to the lineup looking very shaky this year. I'm heading up to Malahide for Blur on saturday and I expect that will end up being a more exciting gig than anything GnR can muster on the pyramid.

I suspect the increasing trend of bands wanting to run their own tours rather than solidly playing 10-15 festivals per summer is going to continue to damage the wider industry, even Glastonbury whilst immune to most external factors is largely dependent on attracting artists playing their own run of shows.

Apparently bands will play Glastonbury at a much smaller fee than normal.

I wouldn't blame bands wanting to play their own shows as it's probably a better experience for everyone.

I remember U2 were interviewed immediately after coming off stage at Glastonbury and they didn't seem happy with the performance.

I think it was raining and Bono said they felt distant from the crowd.

I've been to Glastonbury a few times and other festivals and find the sound to be ****.

Indoor modern arenas like The Point are the best really.

But really Glastonbury is just about wandering around and meeting people and finding random gigs and stages etc.

Apparently last year people found it overcrowded.

It's crazy you've been so many years.

What year was your favourite?

I think after my 3rd time, I'd had enough of festivals in general.

I'm not anti drugs exactly but I noticed people seem to overdo it. Ketamine particularly seemed to be very big.

The sound is pretty good these days, I don’t know when you last attended but they’ve made small improvements every year that I’ve been since 2016. West Holts in particular sounds incredible. They sorted the sound in the pyramid field as well.

The lineup is definitely not as strong as usual though. Combination of cost cutting (I can’t even imagine how it must cost to get insurance for this event) and lack of availability I guess. My nights are well covered as usual but the daytime is looking sparse, I’ll have to do more research.

Post edited by MadYaker on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Apart from 08, been every year since 2004 but missing this year and am fine with it. Was far too crowded last year which is usually fine but was a pain in the arse queuing for food. I absolutely hate queuing for anything.

Line up is meh alright but most festivals are. Same for last year.

No matter what the lineup is though, theres no better feeling that leaving your tent after setting it up on Wednesday and heading off for a wander and to nab a drink. Ticket price is worth that alone.

How have you managed to get tickets?

Do you do the group thing?

Heard about overcrowding last year.

• Advertisement

I haven't been in years.

TBH I don't even really like festivals anyway.

I feel there's too much anxiety in trying to see too much and afraid of missing some legendary Glasto gig

Advertisement