Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddi issues

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

It was the way the installer said to me to maximise export. So instead of the eddi checking every 15 minutes I have probably only 2 heating cycles a day instead of every 15 minutes. It works for us having one full tank a day and letting the house / export use the rest. Ill give it a try over the next few days letting the eddi do everything automatically and see what way it affects the exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭DC999

Some of the installers still don't fully get it. 'Tech' isn't what they know. They are mostly sparks now doing solar from what I saw at quote time. Our installers still do pure sparks work too. As is not 100% solar only..

They told you to manage it like a 500euro immersion. Ie you control the world's most expensive immersion.

It's software controlling the hardware. Eddi checks is temp = 60c. IF yes, then stop. Repeats lines above every X minutes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

More or less. It doesn't check via temperature it checks to see if there is a load on it. If the immersion has cut out if the tank is hot, it waits 15 mins and tried again

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Hi, I’m new to Solar PV and this forum. Eddi heating the water in the copper tank. But it’s too hot. Can I set the temperature lower in the Eddi config or the thermostat on the tank (assuming I can find it). Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Temperature is set on the thermostat under the cover of the immersion. Switch off the power before attempting to take off the cover.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

I have set the Eddi to check the temperature every 120 minutes over the day. We had a problem of overheating in the winter when there was a timed boost that coincided with decent sunny day. The thermostat is set at 60c.

Got the toolbox out today and lowered the temperature on the immersion. Water is much more bearable now and presumably not using as much solar electricity. Thanks again Jonathan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So @DC999 and @graememk you were right. Made feck all difference letting the eddi do everything. Only thing Im going to change is the check say every 30 minutes instead of 15...water is boiling this weather!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Similar to the previous poster, you may want to lower the thermostat a few degrees. Default from most manufactures is 60C (which I think personally is good), but some people might want 55C.... or lower. Takes like 15 seconds with a flat head screwdriver to twist the setting lower.

Do practice safe eletrical work. Turn off the unit (ideally at the circuit breaker) before opening the cover for the box as there are 220v live contacts exposed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi, new PV system installed along with a new hot water tank and immersion approx 4 months ago. My plumber installed the new tank, the Pv installer fitted the Eddi. System was working fine until the recent spell of sunny weather when it started to trip the immersion. The Eddi then displays the "waiting for surplus" message. I reset the immersion tripswitch on the top of the tank but it will trip again when power is pushed to it for a while. Also the water is coming scalding hot from the taps. I've checked and the immersion thermostat is set at 60 degrees c. Peak power being sent to the Eddi sems to be around 3.0kw approx. Is it my immersion that's faulty or can I adjust a setting on the Eddi to try and solve this? Should I be talking to the plumber or the PV installer? Any assistance gratefully received.

It's the immersion.

The thermostat on the immersion should stop it heating before the fail safe thermostat (the button you press in) trips (at about 75c ish).

Try adjusting the thermostat on the immersion down a bit more but of it still isn't stopping before the backup kicks in the thermostat on the immersion is faulty.

Some immersions have a replaceable one, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

we still find out water a bit hot even after turning down the immersion to 55.. and im measuring the water at 55 at the taps with a temp probe.. its ok where you have a mixer tap but can be a bit hot for single taps.. talked to a plumber and he said they could fit 'anti scald' valves.. might look at doing that in the bathroom.. i guess we were just used of hot but not very hot water for years off the central heating.. the gas boiler is set to 60

It can be fitted at the outlet of the HW tank too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, that's the solution there I think mick. Install 1x thermostatic value on the tank outlet and that solved it for every location in the house. It would also allow you to raise the temp in the tank to 60c even 65c safely and effectively give you more hot water as if you have a bigger tank.

Thanks lads, wasn't mentioned by the plumber who fitted the cylinder. They did reference the valve for the taps. Are they expensive for at the cylinder?

It's the same thing either at the taps or tank.

Possibly a bigger one on the tank (ie 28mm or 1")

Actual part is 100-150 euro. Is your DHW mains pressure or a header tank? (Just could effect what one to actually get.

There's one on mine but it's failed (it was installed in 07ish I think).

how water is fed from the cold tank in the attic to the cylinder

On mine they took another pipe from the cold tank.

Although there is a cold feed going into the tank at the bottom anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Thanks G, I'll adjust the thermostat down and see if it has any effect. If not back to the plumber. I'll ask him to give me a price on a thermostatic valve on the tank as well. Appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

Doing per hot tap needs more than 1 setup it needs to be done for every hot feed. Like other hot taps. Could include dishwasher, washing machine if they take a hot feed (less common these days)

I've a plumber coming to look at removing some gin barrel piping so I'll ask him about the valve for the cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Hi,

New to all this so forgive me if it’s a stupid question!

We’re looking at putting in PV panels, battery & an EDDI. One of the installers we spoke to wasn’t in favour of fitting an EDDI to our traditional copper water cylinder. He said we’d be far better off getting a new stainless steel tank.

We’ve asked around & it seems like supply & fitting of a new (larger) tank would be about €1600. We hadn’t budgeted for this, so we’re wondering if it would be ok to go ahead and get the EDDI fitted to our existing tank & then maybe in a year or 2 get the new tank. Any thoughts?!

so the eddi isnt fitted to your tank.. its basically a device which sits between your immersion switch and the immersion and it can send excess solar to the immersion to power it, or you can use it as a timer device with app control to boost the immersion at certain times.. we had a 90 litre copper cylinder and found that it wasnt heating very well with either our gas or immersion/eddi so we had it replaced for a 120 litre pre insulated tank. Cost was about 850 euro. Bigger tanks im sure cost more.. so the question for your existing setup is probably more - is your immersion working properly now? and does your tank fully heat up with your central heating system? if so there's no reason the eddi wouldnt work - you can have issues with immersion in general heating a larger tank of water which if you read this thread you'll get some sense of

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

@fishy Did he want you to get a bigger tank maybe ? No reason your copper tank couldn't be used if its sound.

Fit the eddi and upgrade the tank at a later date.

Thanks so much for explaining this! Yes, immersion works very well at the moment. In fact the water coming from the tap is often too hot! We can also heat our water via mains gas central heating & that also works very well.

Thank you! I think he just felt that the water might not heat up very well? As per my reply above, it does!

So, we should be ok to just get the EDDI installed with our current setup & then maybe down the line change to a better tank if we need to. Thank you!

Do you use the hot water tank now? If not, scrap the Eddi. Cheaper to use night rate electricity on the immersion and get paid FIT of ~20c per unit you don't use.

As in the Eddi won't pay for itself. But it has a great convenience factor of hit water when needed. Read back on this thread so see Eddi owners say that.

Yes - is answer to your OP. Old tank will be fine but losses heat more than newer well insulated ones. And can always change the tank in time. We scrapped getting the Eddi for reasons I mentioned here.

We have a day/night meter & heat the water for about 45 minutes early in the morning. Immersion has been a cheaper option for us since we moved to Energia & got a good rate from them last September. Obviously we probably won’t get such a good rate when we start shopping around on renewal date.

I suppose we’re just trying to future proof things by getting the EDDI fitted from Day 1.

• Advertisement

We did the same.. added it for completness.. we ended up buying it ourselves via the uk cheaper when the currency was in our favour and our installer put in as part of the job... its a convenience thing really... i dont really care if it pays for itself... i probably should!

Advertisement