Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddi issues

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Before doing any of that, all that needs to be done to test is remove all limits and hit boost.

3kw - bath immersion

2.2kw - sink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭micks_address

Will do, will I need to turn off the device limit on the Eddi before trying?

Yeah the device limit will need to be turned off

On boost it draws 2.7kw

• Advertisement

It's on the bath element.

It could be just that it's not that long of an immersion. When mine went I put in one nearly twice as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

interesting...I mean to check ours. I thought I would have to check from 'cold'. Our app tells us tank 2 is heating and then cuts off when maximum temperature reached. Tank 1 never heats up with solar.

Just a quick update. Decided to go the new cylinder route and had it fitted today. Plumber said the old immersion only had the sink element wired so probably why the bottom never got warm. Anyway he said the sticker on the old cylinder was dated 1979 and he reckoned it was close to collapse at the bottom which wouldnt have ended well. New cylinder is 120 litre and has only one immersion.. ill see how it goes. Was thinking about a bigger cylinder but we only have one electric shower in the house which we probably wont change so dont need huge amounts of hot water. Will be interesting to see how long the water stays warm in this one! i have the device limit off on the eddii.. wondering if i should just leave it be or look at limiting it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I limit mine to 9A (2kw) and I see it's already at "Max Temp Reached" today and it's not even lunchtime - it is a cracking day out there to be fair.

one of those what would you do questions... the lads accidentally fitted a 100 litre cylinder this morning instead of a 120 litre one.. i thought it looked small and asked them about it and they said it was the 120 but their boss just phoned and said there was two in the van.. a 100 and 120 they fitted the smaller one and did i want it swapped over.. part of me is like the smaller one is grand (cheaper but not by much) but then im thinking 120 is 20% more water and better for the longer run.. at least they were decent and phoned back about it.. the boss wants to replace it with what i ordered so i guess i will let them replace it..

• Advertisement

Dunno if it's too late, but I'd ask them how much for a 200L one. The problem with any tank is that you effectively lose the bottom 10-15% of the tank where the electric heating element can't get to unless it's a side mounted element and it's right at the bottom. So if you have a 100L tank you'll only have about 60-70L of hot water and then another 20L of luke warm water. 200L tank your 60L would more than double to 140-150L as it's usually the same width but taller. Not every tank of course, but usually 18" inches in diameter.

yeah they coming back to fit the 120 this afternoon.. its plenty for us.. wouldnt have the space for 200 and as i said we wouldnt use all the water unless we ran a shower of it which i dont see us going any time soon.. still the old cylinder did well to last 44 years! i think this new one has a 10 year warranty

Wow - 44 years. Damm good innings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and you'll get a couple of quid from scrap metal merchants too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Plumber got back to me on the pump setup to mix the tank. I already have the relay board and sensors. Looking like the guts of 600quid incl labour and VAT.

Certainly a Willis is cheaper but reading over on FB I see a mixture of issues with those ranging from heating the storage tank to still having stratification issues. I figure with the pump on the eddi I can run the destrat program or even automate it from homeassistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Anyone know how to reboot a harvi. Mine is showing a constant 3.5kwh going into the house. Even though i know everything is off. Its got the little yellow triangle. Usually rebooting the hub solves this but that hasnt worked this time. I think the harvi is stuck or something.

Harvi wouldn't be stuck it's probably the server link that the hub has. My zappi with hub did that yesterday. I would say plug out hub, leave it for a few mins and then plug back in.

Thanks. The hub is in the zappi. Plugged it out for half an hour and it came back to normal for about 10 mins and gone again. pluggin it out again made no difference.

I'll leave it and see if it decides to come back itself.

Ah I see, same as mine then. What I do is press the menu button and then hold it, that will reboot the zappi.

Thanks for that. I'll try that too. I seem to rebooting this thing more often that I should have to. Sometimes it loses all connectivity to the internet and has to be rebooted to get it back.

• Advertisement

Is it a big job to fit the relay board and temp sensors? Would be nice to see temps in the app. Have you one or two sensors? You stick them to the outside of the tank?

Not at all, can do it yourself just cut the power to the circuit. It's mostly fiddly as there are some tiny ribbon cables to seat. I pushed the sensors into existing pockets that I had for the heating thermostat and where that was located previously. Some tanks have sensors pockets which would be better. They need to touch the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just installed my Eddi out of the box, back to suppliers I go

Oof thats unfortunate!

Fortunately they pretty good at replacing.. i had a screen issue with my zappi.. and they had a replacement shipped and their engineer fit in less than a week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I just brought straight back to where I bought it, new installed earlier and all is good!

Pump for destrat function was fitted earlier today. I've currently got it set with the built in relay Destrat 1 function where when the Heater 1 hits Max Temp it will fire the pump for 15 mins (adjustable). I've tried to trigger the pump relay from homeassistant, but that will only work if I change the function to boost where it will add the relay as a boost option in the app. Not sure if I will go in that direction yet as it means I need to have HA manage the destrat function and considering the spotty myenergi servers that may not be a good idea.

The pump is the red one mounted up near the wall. It's pumping from the heated water at the top and into the base of the tank. It's on a fused spur which you can just see on the left and that connects to the eddi's power and relay 1. The wiring diagram is in the manual.

The black cables you can see are the temp sensors that I fitted a while back along with the sensor & relay board.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Nice job. Did you need a non-return valve on the cold supply side? How much did it cost in the end?

Yeah he put a non-return in also. Total just over 600 inc VAT. The pump and fittings were a big part of that.Definitely not a cheap option but I'm a lot more comfortable with this vs a Willis.

I'm hoping generation will be better tomorrow to get a better idea on it but looking like I can put 3x the amount of kWh in compared to without the pump. Total for today was about 8kWh into the tank vs 2 maybe 3kWh at a push normally.

• Advertisement

Advertisement